Scuba tank for on-board air? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As one with three scuba tanks in my storage shed, I wouldn't even consider running one of them as an OBA source. And after having had my previous TJ with its built-in OBA stolen and not having a good source of air for the last year except with a borrowed C02 tank (thank you Blaine Johnson), I would have used one of them if it would have been a good solution.

For $140, you can make your own C02 tank with a brand-new 10 lb. aluminum tank. I just finished mine... $85 for a new 10 lb. alumium C02 tank found from http://www.amazon.com/10-lb-Aluminum-Co2-Tank/dp/B0045H8GRI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1307307918&sr=8-11 , $40 for a C02 regulator from http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...tor-p-297.html and $7-8 for the remaining misc. parts to allow me to connect my air hose to the regulator. Or $50 for complete regulator from http://eastsidecustomtruck.com/i-61362-hyperflo-fixed-regulator.html

When you have a choice, buy American made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 05:47 PM
RandyTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
As one with three scuba tanks in my storage shed, I wouldn't even consider running one of them as an OBA source. And after having had my previous TJ with its built-in OBA stolen and not having a good source of air for the last year except with a borrowed C02 tank (thank you Blaine Johnson), I would have used one of them if it would have been a good solution.

For $140, you can make your own C02 tank with a brand-new 10 lb. aluminum tank. I just finished mine... $85 for a new 10 lb. alumium C02 tank found from http://www.amazon.com/10-lb-Aluminum-Co2-Tank/dp/B0045H8GRI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1307307918&sr=8-11 , $40 for a C02 regulator from http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...tor-p-297.html and $7-8 for the remaining misc. parts to allow me to connect my air hose to the regulator. Or $50 for complete regulator from http://eastsidecustomtruck.com/i-61362-hyperflo-fixed-regulator.html
I can get a scuba tank filled for$5.00.

I already own the scuba tank, regulator, and air chuck,
If I can get 10-12 tires to go from 12 psi to 30 psi on a tank, it doesn't seem too bad to me???

As someone else stated I'm not sure how many cubic feet of air a 33"-35" tire would hold. Would need to do the math.

White 2005 LJ, Rubicon, Rubicon Express 3.5 SuperFlex, Goodyear 315/75/16 MTR's, Pro Comp 97 16x8 wheels, UCF Tummy Tuck, 1" Prothane BL, 1" JKS MML,Tereflex Disco's, 10,000 lb. winch. CB Radio, Fire Extinguister, Synthetic Fluids, Driving Lights....
1999 XJ 6.5 Lift, Rusty's Long Arm, Four Link Rear Suspension, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, Alloy Axles....
post #18 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 06:16 PM
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This has all been dicussed before http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/c...a-tank-369281/ see post 12. You can use it, it's just that for size, weight and volume most prefer co2 tank setups.

post #19 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM
mylt1

i run a SCBA tank for air. never had a problem and it filled my 30/9.50's just fine. one charge at 2500PSI would fill my trucks 31x10.50s 7 or 8 times from empty. of course i have an advantage, i am a fire fighter and have access to the fill station. contact your local FD, they may have the adapter for filling SCUBA tanks. i know we do and have filled bottles several times for divers that live in the area. all we have to do is flip the switch from dry to wet and GTG. for using it as OBA you wouldnt even have to do that.
post #20 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 11:38 PM
ZJ_flexxxer
1994 ZJ 

haha this topic reminds me of a friend that used a scuba tank for a nitrous tank. he painted it like a ketchup bottle(ketchup..catch up...get it? lol) and he actually took the time to calculate the lbs on the label

MY OTHER TOOLBOX IS A JEEP

94 ZJ Laredo--lifted 4.5", rocker rails, front end/t-case/gas tank skids, tube doors, wj knuckle/brake swap, soft 8's, 32x10.50 tsl's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

87 MJ Comanche--zj d44 rear w/ disc brakes, wj knuckles/brakes w/ drilled & slotted rotors,6" lift in progress
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

90 XJ Laredo--D.D., satin black paint job, 15" ecco's, the redheaded step child of my jeeps
87 XJ Wagoneer--R.I.P. =(

post #21 of 33 Old 07-05-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
BBRider64
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the in-put and advice. As I have access to tanks and free fills I will set up a regulator chuck for trailing. I'll post photos when I have it done.
post #22 of 33 Old 07-05-2011, 11:34 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I have an onboard air compressor under the hood and still carry a scuba tank much of the time because it's so convenient.
I used an adapter fitting to thread an air chuck directly to the 1st stage regulator. My tank is anchored where it sits in this picture but easily removeable. I run 3000 psi in the tank and 110 psi output from the reg, and frequently find myself taking it out and carrying to friends vehicles in odd spots to reseat blown beads etc.
If you already have the gear, it's a pretty quick and easy setup.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #23 of 33 Old 07-07-2011, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
BBRider64
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I have an onboard air compressor under the hood and still carry a scuba tank much of the time because it's so convenient.
I used an adapter fitting to thread an air chuck directly to the 1st stage regulator. My tank is anchored where it sits in this picture but easily removeable. I run 3000 psi in the tank and 110 psi output from the reg, and frequently find myself taking it out and carrying to friends vehicles in odd spots to reseat blown beads etc.
If you already have the gear, it's a pretty quick and easy setup.

Thank you. Nice set-up I like the idea of being able to take it where you need it.
post #24 of 33 Old 08-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post

Thanks for the info, I've been looking into making one of these.
post #25 of 33 Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 PM
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I use my tank as a portable air tank for around the house when I don't feel like hauling out the air compressor. When the local dive shop went out of business, I bought an extra first stage regulator. It's easy to adapt any old hardware store air regulator off that. Having done it before, one tank will easily bring my 33 X 12.5's, from 11 PSI to 28.

As others have said though, it's not an efficient use of space in a Jeep, and you need to be careful of all the tank transportation issues, which as a diver, you'd already know about.
post #26 of 33 Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver30960 View Post
Great friggin' idea!

Back in Virginia, filling an 80 cost $8. A buck or so more if you were filling a 100. Visit a shop and ask them to dig around under the counter for some equipment you could use, make sure they know you don't plan on diving with it. I bet they'd have something beat up enough that they wouldn't let somebody dive on but that you could get dirt cheap. Also, consider Craigslist.

If the shop tries to run up the bill by telling you you'll get better results from Nitrox, tell them to get bent. ( to the scuba crowd)

IF you have the resources, you could even look at the smaller tanks to see if it would get you the cubic footage you need. I guess it'd depend on your tires. If you could get away with a smaller tank like a 65 or whatever, the smaller the tank the better so you have more room in the back for other gear and a cooler to keep the post-wheeling campsite BEvERages cold.

Anybody got a resource for the cubic footage in an average tire of such-and-such a size?

Oh, and BTW: I'm sure it goes without saying, but PLEASE buy or fab up a BOMBPROOF mounting system for that tank if you use one. Imagine that thing getting loose in a rollover and knocking the valve off. Now you're in a tumbling Jeep with a rocket rattling around the inside with you.

unless it really happens, then

Ike
I am certified to hydrostaticly test and recertify compressed gas cylinders, I would not recommend running a SCUBA or SCBA tank in a vehicle as an OBA source. Those tanks are not designed to be used that way. Transporting a compressed gas cylinder is regulated by the DOT and there are restrictions as to what you're allowed to do and not do. You are required by law to pull over and be inspected if you're carrying a compressed gas cylinder in your vehicle usually before most tunnels and in other instances as well... the inspector might deny you to travel through the tunnel, and even worse they might hit you with an expensive fine.

Also most modern SCUBA and SCBA tanks are fiber wrapped around aluminum and meant to be carried on someones back, they aren't designed to be in a car crash, and could potentially experience a catastrophic failure resulting in a large explosion or a missle hazzard...

I personally believe that the co2 tanks are probably the safest way to go for an OBA tank only set up.
post #27 of 33 Old 08-03-2011, 05:14 PM
mylt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I am certified to hydrostaticly test and recertify compressed gas cylinders, I would not recommend running a SCUBA or SCBA tank in a vehicle as an OBA source. Those tanks are not designed to be used that way. Transporting a compressed gas cylinder is regulated by the DOT and there are restrictions as to what you're allowed to do and not do. You are required by law to pull over and be inspected if you're carrying a compressed gas cylinder in your vehicle usually before most tunnels and in other instances as well... the inspector might deny you to travel through the tunnel, and even worse they might hit you with an expensive fine.

Also most modern SCUBA and SCBA tanks are fiber wrapped around aluminum and meant to be carried on someones back, they aren't designed to be in a car crash, and could potentially experience a catastrophic failure resulting in a large explosion or a missle hazzard...

I personally believe that the co2 tanks are probably the safest way to go for an OBA tank only set up.
IDK who told you that but they were wrong. you are not required to pull over and living in Va beach you should have seen the signs posted on the HRBT about only needing to pull over if you have LPG tanks(if your pulling a camper or are running a LPG conversion). compressed air is not a required stop at any inspection station. i have been a fire fighter for 13 years and in all those years i have never heard of a SCBA tank have a catastrophic failure. its kind of funny, if they arent designed to withstand a MVC(motor vehicle crash) then we need to take every engine(fire truck) and every rescue truck out of service since we are on the roads responding to calls every day and run the risk of being in a crash ourselves. also, if you dont believe me look at what myth busters had to do to get a catastrophic failure from a SCUBA tank in there "jaws" episode. also, most, if not all new bottles are NOT fiber wrapped Al(also called hoop spun bottle). new bottles are carbon fiber and the only Al in them is the valve. in a secure mount SCBA or SCUBA bottles are perfectly safe in the event of a MVC.
post #28 of 33 Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 PM
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/b...ottle-1075150/

I have two NOS bottles and I have tried to make one a CO2. The local gas shop said that it's not a good idea and there might of been an issue with changing the valve to a CO2 unit. He did help me make my old Fire Ext bottle into a CO2 tank. Please see the link above for pic's. Best of luck.

Wherever I may roam...
post #29 of 33 Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
IDK who told you that but they were wrong. you are not required to pull over and living in Va beach you should have seen the signs posted on the HRBT about only needing to pull over if you have LPG tanks(if your pulling a camper or are running a LPG conversion). compressed air is not a required stop at any inspection station. i have been a fire fighter for 13 years and in all those years i have never heard of a SCBA tank have a catastrophic failure. its kind of funny, if they arent designed to withstand a MVC(motor vehicle crash) then we need to take every engine(fire truck) and every rescue truck out of service since we are on the roads responding to calls every day and run the risk of being in a crash ourselves. also, if you dont believe me look at what myth busters had to do to get a catastrophic failure from a SCUBA tank in there "jaws" episode. also, most, if not all new bottles are NOT fiber wrapped Al(also called hoop spun bottle). new bottles are carbon fiber and the only Al in them is the valve. in a secure mount SCBA or SCUBA bottles are perfectly safe in the event of a MVC.
I honestly don't remember what the signs say, I don't pay attention to them for the most part. The "person that told me that" was actually the training I had to take to get certified to be a hydrostatic tester. I've tested thousands of bottles, and never once have I ever seen a completely carbon fiber bottle that only had AL on the valve, but I only have recertified bottles that were 5 years old or older, so maybe the new bottles are how you say they are. The very slim chance that a fire fighter is going to rupture his SCBA in a rock crawling fire truck accident really doesn't apply to what could possibly happen while off roading in a Jeep...

There's a very good reason that I hydro test bottles in a tank equipt with a burst disk, and there's an extremely good reason that bottles are "hydrotested" and not "HP air tested" Water doesn't compress, so I can visually see the amount of expansion that a bottle will expand to, and after I release the pressure on said bottle I can visually see where the same bottle contracted back to, the percentage of difference between the 2 points measured after a certain amount of time equals what is called "permenent expansion" and it's one of the factors by wich I use to recertify a tank to be able to go back into service, or to be junked.
post #30 of 33 Old 08-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Roye77
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
i run a SCBA tank for air. never had a problem and it filled my 30/9.50's just fine. one charge at 2500PSI would fill my trucks 31x10.50s 7 or 8 times from empty. of course i have an advantage, i am a fire fighter and have access to the fill station. contact your local FD, they may have the adapter for filling SCUBA tanks. i know we do and have filled bottles several times for divers that live in the area. all we have to do is flip the switch from dry to wet and GTG. for using it as OBA you wouldnt even have to do that.
X2 on this one and as far as having one involved in a motor vehicle accident I wouldn't worry a bit since most of the time I ride around in our Apparatus with one starpped to my back

"All men are created equal, then a few become firemen." ~Author Unknown
"Volunteer firemen do it for free!" ~Author Unknown

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.