Saving Weight on a Winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Saving Weight on a Winch

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Closed Thread
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
JoLaBa

Saving Weight on a Winch

Hey everybody, I am new to the forum, and this is my first post, so please excuse me if it is in the wrong place.

I am a mechanical Engineer, and I am doing some work on the side. I am looking for some opinions from people who use winches a lot, and would see the benefits of what I am working on.

If I were to tell you that I could decrease the weight of your winch assembly, and tray, especially for those of you who shift their winches from front to back, by 25lbs for a cost of around $800 would you be interested?

Another option would be about 20lbs for around $550. If you were outfitting a new vehicle you would only incur an additional cost of about $350 to save the 20 lbs.

Would that be worth it to any of you?

JoLaBa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck. Most people don't want to spend more than ~$300 for their winch total, thus the popularity of SB winches. Don't put too much focus on people who move winches front to back. In reality there are very few people who actually do that. Overall weight savings is a very marketable feature these days and one I definitely believe in. Personally, I'd say your $350 for 20 lbs. is maybe something people would consider but the other numbers seem pretty high to me. Maybe a point of comparison is the switch from steel cable to synthetic and how much weight that saves and how much of a premium people are willing to pay (although you have things like safety also there that influence willingness to pay premium). Overall, jeepers are pretty cheap people so I think you've got your work cut out for you. Offroad racers might be a market as they're generally willing to spend more money but that may be not a broad market.
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLaBa View Post
Would that be worth it to any of you?
For $3-550? Absolutely not. But the engineer in me is curious where you're saving that much weight. Synthetic rope already has a market to gauge pricing. Mounts and fairleads are light already. New cases, gears, drums would be a nightmare and scare off weekend warriors. Marketing a new brand of winch would be better.

Now if you lighten up a 8274 case, that would be intriguing.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
Indy

As soon as the words "if i were to tell you" hit my frontal lobe for some reason my olffactory sense becomes overwhelmed with bovine excrement. Its weird.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think you will find that the majority of winch owners/users are more concerned with cost over weight, not vice versa. In fact, i'd be willing to bet that most would gladly accept a 25lb heavier winch if it meant saving even $50-100. Consider the amount of weight saved using synthetic cable, and look and see how many winches are actually spooled with the stuff.

Not to say that there aren't a few people who would be interested, its just that it would be a very minute portion of the market...and not sure enough to justify the R&D and marketing involved.
jason280 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

No I would not pay more for lower weight, I would and did, pay more for faster line speed, pulling power, lower amp draw.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

25lbs for the cost of a new mid-grade winch or 20lbs for the cost of a used good winch? A synthetic line does the same thing for under $200. Cost and reliability are what matter.

Tell us a little more about how you would do this and someone might be interested.
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't even like my fish to smell fishy.
Closed Thread

Tags
offroading , reduction , weight , winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.