Be Safe!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Be Safe!!!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-25-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Be Safe!!!

Be careful when checking out those faint side trials. Yesterday I was up in the Big Bear area with another buddy. I was traveling a trail that I've been across a dozen times. This time, however, I noticed a faint trail that I have never noticed before. Off I went, climbing up a hill, zig zagging through the trees. There were no tracks in front of me so I'm assuming no one's been on it in a while. Next thing I know I go around a large thicket of brush and trees and I'm in the middle of what appears to be a meth lab. This heavily used camp looked as though the cockroaches had just scattered. The doors of every tent were wide open and no one in site. The trailed ended at the camp and was very narrow. A grueling 14 point turn and I was out of there.

I've been exploring the Big Bear and Arrowhead areas for the past three or four years. Some days I go out with only one plan, to explore all of the off shoots that I usually drive by. Most just end somewhere in the forest, but others have yielded spectacular views or neat little camp sites. This discovery was enlightening. A reminder that not everyone in the back woods is there to enjoy the outdoors.

Be safe...

'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 07:05 PM   #2
FLMarine

EXACTLY why I always carry at least a pistol when I go offroading. Never know when you are going to run across someone doing something like that or someone who wants your jeep. When the nearest help is miles away and would take at least an hour or five to get there I rely on my .45, .40, or .223 to protect me. Yet another reason I stay out of Cali because they take away the good majority of your rights to protect yourself.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 11:02 PM   #3
AudioGuru

We've had a huge problem in Iowa with meth. They find labs everywhere. A couple of guys cooking meth in the woods were interrupted by a DNR officer out patrolling. They fled on quads and there were some shots fired. Tweakers tend to be pretty sketchy and paranoid, not a good group.

A while back a deputy stopped us as we exited a somewhat legally dubious spot for wheeling (that's now closed) and just wanted to ask us if we had seen anything going on. He did a visual search on our vehicles and then told us to call if we did find any labs. He said us no one in their department would give a trespassing ticket to anyone reporting a lab they see wheeling. There's some nasty stuff in that process that is real pain to clean up.

[COLOR=White]Don't lie. God said so.[/COLOR]
AudioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 12:01 AM   #4
CanukYJ

So did you report it or what?

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 06:47 AM   #5
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
So did you report it or what?
Yes. I went to the closest ranger station. The personnel at the station are mainly there to give tourists information, but I did leave a voicemail with the law enforcement official that needs to follow up on this. This was late Saturday. I'm expecting to be talking to him today. I have the GPS coordinates of the site so finding it won't be a problem. Hopefully the cockroaches are still there.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
Unread 04-26-2004, 09:30 AM   #6
CanukYJ

Nice work, it's stuff like that that will ruin our trails and our countries (Canada included). Glad to see you didn't sloff it off as not worth getting into.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 10:23 PM   #7
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91
Yes. I went to the closest ranger station. The personnel at the station are mainly there to give tourists information, but I did leave a voicemail with the law enforcement official that needs to follow up on this. This was late Saturday. I'm expecting to be talking to him today. I have the GPS coordinates of the site so finding it won't be a problem. Hopefully the cockroaches are still there.
GrimJeeper,
My son & I wheel in the Big Bear area fairly regularly also. While I have never run across any meth labs, I commend you for taking the time to report this to the police. I hope that it will help to make a differance in the long run.
Warn bumpers F & R/Warn gas tank skid
4 point harnesses/Poison Spyder sliders
Warrior Corner Guards/JKS Quick Disco's & telescoping front track bar/M.O.R.E. Rear traction bar/PSC ram steering
Borla header/Turbo City intake/Flowmaster muffler/new cat
all propelled by a [B]MONSTER [/B] 2.5l I4
pdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2004, 05:24 PM   #8
Cynic

Quote:
they would have gotten away with it if it was for you meddling kids!!
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2004, 06:55 PM   #9
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

To date they have gotten away with it. It's been a week and I have left four voice mails with Forest Service (law enforment rangers ) and no one has called me back. I guess they are too busy enforcing the Adventure Pass program (don't get me started on that!). I figure if they haven't called by now they're not going to.

I called the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department today. Left a message and was contacted by a deputy an hour later. He assured me that the matter would be investigated and was not happy to hear about the Forest Service response (or lack of).
Unread 04-30-2004, 07:17 PM   #10
94YJ_FL

Quote:
To date they have gotten away with it. It's been a week and I have left four voice mails with Forest Service (law enforment rangers ) and no one has called me back. I guess they are too busy enforcing the Adventure Pass program (don't get me started on that!). I figure if they haven't called by now they're not going to.

That's pathetic... I guess the USFS has more pressing matters... something like Ranger Rick out chasing Yogi Bear and the picnic basket around. Good to see you skipped the weak link and went straight to the local Sheriff. Nice job!
Unread 05-01-2004, 12:30 AM   #11
qadhafi

It may be a matter of money. It generally costs from $2,000 to $10,000 to clean up a lab depending on its size, and can sometimes go into six digits. They may be ducking you because if they are the first officials on scene then they are responsible for footing the bill for the clean-up. It's Effed up, I know.

I would reccomend calling your local DEA office. They should be in the phone book either in the first few pages or under US Federal Government. Ask to speak to an Agent directly, try not to leave a message.
[FONT=palatino linotype][COLOR=darkred]But hey, WTF do I know? I kick Hippies for fun.[/COLOR][CENTER]'94 Green Sahara 4.0 I6->6" lift;33's on AR767's;Big Daddy Offroad Bumpers; TJ Flares, Warn X9000i, 6 KC's, some other stuff....[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR=darkred][FONT=palatino linotype][URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59124]FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB FOUNDER[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR] [/CENTER][CENTER][COLOR=darkslateblue]H2RT Lives[/COLOR][/CENTER]
[CENTER][URL=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288603959]Anderson Creek Farewell [/URL][/CENTER][/FONT]
qadhafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2004, 03:55 PM   #12
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qadhafi
It may be a matter of money. It generally costs from $2,000 to $10,000 to clean up a lab depending on its size, and can sometimes go into six digits. They may be ducking you because if they are the first officials on scene then they are responsible for footing the bill for the clean-up. It's Effed up, I know.

I would reccomend calling your local DEA office. They should be in the phone book either in the first few pages or under US Federal Government. Ask to speak to an Agent directly, try not to leave a message.

i wonder what the responce will be when someone gets hurt or killed and he contacts the family members and informs them he found the lab weeks prior and constantly tried calling the rangers with no responce....just like stop signs are busy intersections where a couple people need to be killed before they put up a traffic light....oh well its the american way i guess
Unread 05-01-2004, 04:13 PM   #13
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If law enforcement hasn't moved on this in the next week then I could publish the GPS coordinates of the suspected site on this board, sort of a public service announcement. What do the rest of you think? Seems like if there's an area the could present a danger others wheeling in the area have a right to know (for their safety).
Unread 05-01-2004, 06:00 PM   #14
MuddyV8YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its terrible hearing how much trouble you are having with this. Maybe you should say you saw a dead body there, that should get some attention. Good luck man,
Unread 05-01-2004, 06:02 PM   #15
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyV8YJ
Its terrible hearing how much trouble you are having with this. Maybe you should say you saw a dead body there, that should get some attention. Good luck man,
ya or terrorist activity.....everyone will want to be a hero then....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.