Rust INSIDE frame - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Rust INSIDE frame

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-23-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
wildjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rust INSIDE frame

Hi all.
With the on going battle against rust on my TJ, the latest fight is against rust INSIDE my frame (I use por-15 on the outside). I am going to use a product I found on the net (in an aerosol can) called Carwell rust cop and spray inside the frame holes. I read once where you can use wd-40.

Has anybody else experinced inside frame rust, and if so, what have you done?

Thanks!!!!!!

Unread 02-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Cant be of DIRECT help...but some help from outside the Jeep world & into the world of Guns.

WD-40 is a water DISPLACER...as in it moves water and uses a blend of Fish oil to LIGHTLY protect against rust. You can do better...much better with some other products.

I personally love/use Breakfree CLP. Its a cleaner AND rust protectorant; doesn't run nearly as much as WD and will eventually dry over.

But for better bang for yer' buck...personally I'd just shoot some PRIMER inside them holes and let dry and come back with paint...as primer protects metal...and paint protects Primer
BWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
xxxflhrci

I spray WD-40 or a cheap knock off inside my frame rails every year or two. While I don't drive my YJ in the salt, I do drive my '94 Toyota pickup in it. It's frame is still rock solid.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 05:04 AM   #4
wildjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips!!!!!!!
Happy Jeeping!!!
Unread 02-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Ja$onMagnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

well since there is already rust in there, putting wd40 or primer on it isnt going to stop it. you need to remove the rust first before you can apply any sort of material if you want the rust to stop. Removing rust from the inside of a frame rail would be pretty tough. if you do though, buy some corrosion protection and spray it inside. If you do primer it, be sure to paint it because unlike what most people think about primer, primer is merely a surface for paint to adhere to because paint will not stick to bare metal. Primer will hold up for a short period of time against rust but primer is porous so it will let water in under it. Good luck though. let us know what you decide to do.
Ja$onMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
DeanKnow
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm having the same problem with rust inside the frame. To date I've drilled two 1/2 inch holes in the bottom of the frame to allow drainage in the future. I've also used an air tool called a needle scaler to remove the rust. This tool acts like an air hammer but has about a dozen 1/8 inch needles that do the hammering. After the rust was knocked loose I used a shop vac with a custom made extension (5/8 inch heater hose) to remove the rust from inside the frame. For me the next step is to coat the inside of the frame with POR 15. To do this I plan to use bailing twine run from the front to the back and pull a soaked rag covered sponge from the front to back, and back to front until I'm either convinced the frame is covered, or I give up and try plan B.
DeanKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow......hmmmmm, if you're going to that extreme why not get a BIG bottle brush with steel or stainless sell bristles on it....get a LONNNNNNNG one and chuck it up in a hand dril and go to town with it-- followed by your procedure with the POR and the sponge.

I had something similar in a SMALL area of enclosed frame on a truck, near a boxed cross member where it kinda dipped; It was large enough of an opening though for me to get one of them small bristle brushes in there. I primered and paint AND THEN....and then I shot the sucker FULL of the expansion foam stuff to keep the water outta there. My one and only concern though--- though its kept out the water-- if for some unseen event occurs that the frame needs to be welded upon-- I'd think that stuff would have to be removed/burnt outta there as I'm pretty sure that stuff has gotta be hazordous fumes................
BWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
davenay67
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are the frame rails on the Wrangler completely open all the way from the front to the back, so that you can start and one end and work your way through tot he other end. i.e. being able to drag a painted rag/sponge through the entire frame rail..??

I am going through the process right now of determining the best way to clean the inside of the frame, and then also the best way to apply some kind of protective coating to guard against future abuse.

Dave.
davenay67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
WCoon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenay67 View Post
Are the frame rails on the Wrangler completely open all the way from the front to the back, so that you can start and one end and work your way through tot he other end. i.e. being able to drag a painted rag/sponge through the entire frame rail..??

I am going through the process right now of determining the best way to clean the inside of the frame, and then also the best way to apply some kind of protective coating to guard against future abuse.

Dave.
I believe they are if you remove the rear crossmember.
WCoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
dirtrider5001

Internal Frame Rust

what the hell do we do to control it??? Sure the outside is easy, BUT our super duper boxed frames that we build now seem do be driving people that actually take car of our trucks out of our mind, cuz its so dam hard to clean, and impossible to paint.. i hate boxed frames because of this but i have a 96 sonoma and thats how it is, i am about to spray a garden sprayer of atf fluid into the frame holes, i read about doing this on the internet, i had tried atf fluid in the past on some rusty header pipes and it did a good job, i just hope the atf fluid doesnt capture moisture and make problems worse , i too am waiting for a sure way to protect the inside of my frame but i will let you all know hot the automatic transmission fluid with the garder sprayer works out,, we do all this work to our trucks to have them rust from the inside out??? ...
dirtrider5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
DeepJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWR View Post
Wow......hmmmmm, if you're going to that extreme why not get a BIG bottle brush with steel or stainless sell bristles on it....get a LONNNNNNNG one and chuck it up in a hand dril and go to town with it-- followed by your procedure with the POR and the sponge.

I had something similar in a SMALL area of enclosed frame on a truck, near a boxed cross member where it kinda dipped; It was large enough of an opening though for me to get one of them small bristle brushes in there. I primered and paint AND THEN....and then I shot the sucker FULL of the expansion foam stuff to keep the water outta there. My one and only concern though--- though its kept out the water-- if for some unseen event occurs that the frame needs to be welded upon-- I'd think that stuff would have to be removed/burnt outta there as I'm pretty sure that stuff has gotta be hazordous fumes................
lol. you do know expansion foam holds water right?
DeepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Any one have long term experiance with boiled linseed oil? i have heard about it but never actually tried it or met anyone who has...
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
bigwave

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Same problem here with a 1997 wrangler, I've got a bad spot on one side that is going to be cut out and new metal weled in, before I have the new metal welded in I'm going to see if the hole is big enough to run a wire brush of some type in and clean it up. It appears to me a large part of the cause is no drain hlles on the bottom of frame. Water and what ever else just sets in there. Would it be simpler to just cut out a section of the frame on each side, enough to have some area to work with then weld a new box back in once finished, or even the same one if cut out neetly.
bigwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
jackbrit3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

slowing down rust

When I had the body off my frame, I used a product called Fluid Film (Inside) I used a spray gun for undercoat (thick stuff like honey) I was able to spray it in every hole, and even added a few more for drains with 3/4" washers welded around the new drains to stop cracks. Fluid film not to expensive by the gallon. For the outside it was treated with por 15.
jackbrit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What is your take on this idea?

I am in the process of redoing a replacement frame for my 94 yj I've got most of the outside done, except for the repairs,(waiting of material and welder).

To clean the inside of the frame I was thinking about bringing some chimney cleaning brushes and flexible rods home from work and running them through the frame to clean it, with the use of the rods I could actually scrub the interior, it would not be spotless but I am thinking that it would be a good way to clean it up and have a reasonably clean frame to start with. Then I would use the rods and some cloth or something similar to coat the inside.

I thought I would run this by the experts here on the forum and see what they think. I want this frame up rebuild to be done right and not have to do it again, in a few years. At least not on this Jeep, maybe the next one.

Thanks in advance for any and all input or suggestions.

Jim

Last edited by Jimbo58; 04-05-2011 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Jimbo58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.