Rugged Ridge Winch OIL in bag on delivery??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Rugged Ridge Winch OIL in bag on delivery???

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
CaptainEd
2013 JK Wrangler 

Rugged Ridge Winch OIL in bag on delivery???

Rugged Ridge Winch OIL in bag on delivery???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am confused. I ordered a RR 10.5K winch from shopjeepparts.com which by the way has EXCELLENT customer sevice.
My first winch came packaged nicely and no marks or evidence of being abused in shipping. When I got to the winch itself there was a pool of oil in the bottom of the plastic bag (in the picture attached)
I contacted shopjeepparts and they arranged for a new winch to be shipped to me and a free shipping back with the first winch.

To my surprise I received the second winch (no damage to the box) and opened it up to find, you guessed it, OIL in the bottom of the bag. What gives? I don't think its normal but I am not sure. Please don't give me the lecture on China and all that, I get it but what is the deal with the oil.

Once again shopjeepparts is awesome so I need to know if any of you have some insight as to why there is oil in the bag of 2 separate winches.

jeep-bumper-035.jpg

jeep-bumper-037.jpg

CaptainEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would say it is from the cable. They probably coat the cable in oil to stop rust during shipping and storage before purchase.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oil from the cable makes the most sense to me as well. The winch itself ought to use grease for lubrication.
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Most things that are metal that I get from overseas like tools and machines have that same oil
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Most things metal are coated in cosmolean ( spelled wrong I'm sure). Protects them. Its oil based and will liquefy sometimes. I say try it but before you do open the gear case name sure its packed with lube.
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
CaptainEd
2013 JK Wrangler 

Its strange because its on the motor side only and it was this way in both winches I got. I am wondering if there is a vent somewhere and it was turned over during shipping. There is no oil anywhere else in the bag except on the motor side. I want to keep it but I want to be sure it wasn't a bad batch so I am going to search out a Rugged Ridge rep if that's possible and see what he says.
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Is there a vent? It may have leaked there
Unread 10-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Did you send the first winch back before getting the second winch? If so then maybe you ended up with the same winch again.

If I were you I would at this point contact RR and talk to them directly concerning your issue and see what they have to say about all of this.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The only winch I have ever bought new was a Smitty XRC8.
There was no oil in the box.
Maybe if there was oil in the box, it would of lasted longer than 2 years before it died.
Oil in the box could be a good thing.

Contacting RR might solve the mystery.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

My best friend just got an engo today. Bone dry, surface rust on drum and bone dry inside gear case too.
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
CaptainEd
2013 JK Wrangler 

I made a mistake on the oil areas, it was on the clutch side.

I did contact RR and talked to a tech rep. I sent him pictures of winch 2. He definately said its not right and would forward pics to QC. He went to look in the warehouse at a similar winch however there were no winches in his warehouse. He is very helpful and all this was done on Friday.
He did run out of daylight so I am waiting for a solution on Monday. I am planning a trip Friday to run some old logging/fire roads in the UP where it has been raining. I want to at least have a winch. I will see what happens however RR as well as shopjeepparts.com have been very responsive to the concerns.

BTW I made it to 51 years old by being a little smarter than the average non-jeeper. I waited for my winch to come BEFORE taking all 93 pounds of it to Fed Ex to ship back. But I am impressed that this was brought up as I thought of that too.
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well thatís good news that you are able to talk to RR directly and they (RR) told you it wasnít right. Too bad it happened to you but it seems that all will work out in the end. Good luck.
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
CaptainEd
2013 JK Wrangler 

I will say that Rugged Ridge is a company that does good by its customers. They bent over backwards to get me a winch after 2 were bad. The third was sent Monday from Georgia and in my driveway in Green Bay Wi TODAY Weds. 2 days. I am completely impressed by their great customer service. I also want to give a big heads up to shopjeepparts.com as they were also great to deal with. They have a lifetime customer. Installing that bad boy was a treat but I got in done in my driveway. Locked down and ready to pull.
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yesssss
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Way to go, glad it worked out in the end.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.