Rocker Guards, Rust Protection???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Rocker Guards, Rust Protection????

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 02-20-2003, 07:21 PM   #1
BIG SEXY

Rocker Guards, Rust Protection????

Anybody running rocker panel guards, have you ckecked or wondered if they are rubbing your paint off under the rocker guard???
If you bought some, did they come with rubber strips (or something) to put in between the guard and the body?

I am in the process of making some and just wanted to know...

91' YJ,4.0 I-6(180,000 mi) 2" Rancho Add-A-Leaf kit, 1.5" shackle lift, 2" BL, 33x12.50 BFG M/T KM's, 15x8 589's, TJ flares, custom F&R bumpers w/ swing-away spare carrier & rocker guards, FULL ROLL CAGE, herculiner, Warn [B]XD9000i[/B] (IT'S ALSO MY WIFES... or was!!!)

Rig Rater score= 476RRv1.0

Its a dog-eat-dog world. and I'm wearing MILKBONE UNDERWEAR!!
BIG SEXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2003, 09:32 PM   #2
CSP

I used Herculiner and coated the outside of the tub where the rockers would be in contact with it. Been that way for five years and no rubbing to date. I take them off once a year and repaint them, so I keep tabs on the tub at the same time.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 04:18 AM   #3
TroyBoyM
whatever

Depending on how you mount them, you can use RTV to seal them. Here's a little more info to ponder. Keep us posted on how they turn out.
TroyBoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #4
CSP

I gotta disagree on the RTV. I dont' care how well you seal it, some moisture is going to get between the body and the rocker protection. Now with all of that sealant there you've just made it extremely difficult for that moisture to escape once things do dry out. All that does is promote rust, which you're actually trying to avoid. That's exactly why I used the Herculiner. It's permanently bonded to the paint and very tough to penetrate.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 04:39 PM   #5
BIG SEXY

That is what I needed to know.
I didn't want to do anything like the RTV to seal it off or some type of foam simply because if it does get in,I WANT IT TO COME OUT! I do not want it to just sit there eating away at the vitals!

Do new rocker panel kits come with anything or do they want you to bolt it on and call them a few years later for a new body tub??
91' YJ,4.0 I-6(180,000 mi) 2" Rancho Add-A-Leaf kit, 1.5" shackle lift, 2" BL, 33x12.50 BFG M/T KM's, 15x8 589's, TJ flares, custom F&R bumpers w/ swing-away spare carrier & rocker guards, FULL ROLL CAGE, herculiner, Warn [B]XD9000i[/B] (IT'S ALSO MY WIFES... or was!!!)

Rig Rater score= 476RRv1.0

Its a dog-eat-dog world. and I'm wearing MILKBONE UNDERWEAR!!
BIG SEXY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.