Rock Bumpers & Rock Side Guards are good for on-road accidents - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Rock Bumpers & Rock Side Guards are good for on-road accidents

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 07-28-2004, 10:56 PM   #1
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rock Bumpers & Rock Side Guards are good for on-road accidents

I'm sure having all this Jeep Body Armor makes you feel safe
on-the-road & also offroading.
I just feel sorry for the ones who will hit our Jeep during an accident =(

Any stories on any Jeep accidents with your body armor ?

Again...I hope no-one got hurt & if someone passed away I'm very sorry.

IGotADisneyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 11:22 PM   #2
Hoxviii

Not Jeep, but applicable:

On the front of my truck I run a piece of 4" 5/16" wall DOM tubing as an airtank/bumper and it sits about 30" off the ground. I was stopped at a stoplight and the lady infront of me started to back up. There was someone behind me, so i had no place to go. I honked, she ignored it, and hit the very top of her trunk on the bumper. No damage to the truck but it killed her trunk, both rear quarterpanels at the top, and tore up the part of the body where the trunk latches to. It looked like she'd been rearended at 30 mph.

For my rear bumper i run a hitch bumper, but i cut the original outer wings off of it (1/8 steel) and replaced it with boxed 1/4" wall 2.5"x6". It sits about 32" off the ground. I was parked in a cul-de-sac that had bushes in the middle when a girl came flying around the court towards the outside so as not to scratch her car on the bushes. She didn't. As she came around my bumper took out her lower A pillar, windshield, sideview mirror, and clipped the B pillar pretty badly. I was standing there to see that one. Made the truck jump forward about a foot. This one tweaked by bumper since all of the force was on one side, but i chained it to a telephone pole an straightened it back out.

SO, in conclusion: My bumpers have been a very good investment for me, they've saved my front and rear on road and off

Justin

Remember, anywhere a car can go a 4x can go, only slower and more deliberately. The ONLY advantage of a 4x is to be able to go where the car can't.
Hoxviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 11:29 PM   #3
pfunk

AtoZFabrication Does It's Job

Here's a story I saw today. Zach does great work.
pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
SirGCal

There's a fine line between the fender bender and a full-on wreck in terms of how YOU will feel after it. For example, You could be in an armored vehicle and hit a wall doing 10 MPH and probably just get a good wake up call, bump on the noggen maybe and need to fix some scratches...

But do the same thing at 40 MPH and sure, the vehicle will likely go right into the wall and come out of the accident with minimal repair needed but how are YOU going to handle it? If the vehicle doesn't absorb the damage, then you have too. Hence the reason that really minor fender benders look like high-speed wrecks today. The cars are folding up the way they are designed to to absorbe energy.

The flip side for us 4x4 people is that we want rigidity so we can bump and roll them around and keep going. But we pay for it in highway safety. How much of that safety is up to you but it really depends how much off-roading you really do as to how far you want to go with armor.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2004, 12:49 PM   #5
Hoxviii

But how often are people actually involved in accidents at much more than "fender bender" speeds? I've been hit 8 or 10 times in parking lots, never at more than about 10 MPH. Whenever it's my truck, it's no biggie. My other car is a '66 VW Bug and everytime it gets tapped it's an $800 insurance claim. For the offroad and low speed protection "real" bumpers provide, I'm all for it.

Justin

Remember, anywhere a car can go a 4x can go, only slower and more deliberately. The ONLY advantage of a 4x is to be able to go where the car can't.
Hoxviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #6
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxviii
But how often are people actually involved in accidents at much more than "fender bender" speeds? I've been hit 8 or 10 times in parking lots, never at more than about 10 MPH. Whenever it's my truck, it's no biggie. My other car is a '66 VW Bug and everytime it gets tapped it's an $800 insurance claim. For the offroad and low speed protection "real" bumpers provide, I'm all for it.

Justin
Well let's see, every day in Austin (where I live) there are from 3-20 serious auto accidents in the traffic news... Roll-over is heard alot more than expected here also... (at least more than I expected)..

And ofcorse we never think we're going to be the one's in one until we suddenly look up (or over) and go 'Ohh $#!%!' if we even have the time...

My TJ got hit in a parking lot sitting still (I was in it parked at a show) and some jerk backed into me with his toyoda at a pretty nice clip. (moved the TJ about 2'...) The frame was fine but I needed new fenders... (no biggie)...

Then we have one where my wife was in my show mustang sitting at a stop light when some lady came up behind her at over 70 MPH and just decided not to stop and slammed into her. Knocking her through the intersection in the air and making an accordian out of both cars. Obviously she was hurt pretty bad but had either one of them had a more solid car, she'd likely be dead.

This is why I'm selective of how 'rigid' I go with espically a daily driver. Minor oops are what insurance is for. Major oops, there's no insurance that can 'fix' it...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 08-04-2004, 10:02 PM   #7
mbaucom

Last year while driving my wife's Honda Accord we had a 16 year old kid (had his license for 3 weeks) driving a big Dodge truck with a huge welded bumper turn right from the left lane. Unfortunately we were right next to him at the time. I swerved but his bumper hit the rear drivers side door and continued all the way back. Nobody was hurt. All it did was poke a small hole in the door and wrinkle the rear 1/4 panel all the way back. $3700 worth of damage to my car. A small scratch on his bumper. His bumper was not even bent. Needless to say that I'd imagine a bumper like that on a jeep would also do some serious damage to anything that it comes into contact with. By the way we didn't fix the car as it was purely cosmetic, the rear door opens fine and the window rolls up and down, the car's paid for and it's kind of old. So we took the money from his insurance and used it for a down payment on a boat!!
[COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #67[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]International[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]Jeep[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Club[/COLOR] #[B]8[/B]
mbaucom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2004, 06:57 PM   #8
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

the only down side i see to all of this is "crumple zones".... I HAVE NO MRE OF THOSE.
the jeep is onr ridgid hunk of steel.. and depending how you have your oil pan skid, and belly up set up, you will likely have the engine in your lap, rather than on the ground like it was designed.
oh well... you cant have everything

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:36 PM   #9
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotADisneyJeep
I'm sure having all this Jeep Body Armor makes you feel safe
on-the-road & also offroading.
I just feel sorry for the ones who will hit our Jeep during an accident =(

Any stories on any Jeep accidents with your body armor ?

Again...I hope no-one got hurt & if someone passed away I'm very sorry.
I've ignored this thread for as long as I can, but I'm really annoyed with it tonight.
Perhaps with your "Disney Jeep" you might consider not adding any armour to it. That way you can help to lower the averages for those of us who have heavy duty bumpers & skid plates.
Perhaps you suffer from some sort of liberal guilt, and feel the need to make yourself responsible for other people and there actions, but don't ask me to do the same.
If one of those kids in a lowered Honda or what ever hits my Jeep they will be sorry. I've built my Jeep to deal with rocks and I'm not going to apologize if somebody get's hurt due to there own poor judgement.
In my younger days I rolled a car or two and slid a few motorcycles across the street. Who was resposible for that FOOLISH behavior? Why I was, of course!
Use the brain that God gave to you and realize that you cannot take care of anybody but yourself.
Warn bumpers F & R/Warn gas tank skid
4 point harnesses/Poison Spyder sliders
Warrior Corner Guards/JKS Quick Disco's & telescoping front track bar/M.O.R.E. Rear traction bar/PSC ram steering
Borla header/Turbo City intake/Flowmaster muffler/new cat
all propelled by a [B]MONSTER [/B] 2.5l I4
pdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2004, 05:23 AM   #10
smorgan
1999 WJ 

crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxviii

Justin
Lots Ive been on quite a few this week & flew 2 MVC's out this week alone 1 Mon & 1 Tues .. I work in EMS for 19 years in the burbs of Philly & there are multiple wrecks above fender bender speeds every day. Ive seen cars & truck that parts were strung 100 yards from start to end & they walked away & "fender bender" DOA's. I love my Jeep but most of the time with Wranglers involved the Wrangler driver/passenger gets hurt. Interior design is poor when personal saftey is considered... If you want to be safe get a Volvo... BUT you cant take the doors of that ....
Wifes- 400hp Caddy CTS-V
[URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/skidoomxz]See the toyz[/URL]
smorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2004, 03:02 AM   #11
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgan
If you want to be safe get a Volvo... BUT you cant take the doors of that ....
oh, sure you can.

it wouldnt look pretty... but you can.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 12:52 AM   #12
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Warn front bumper. While I was at work the other day, I got a call from a co-worker. He was leaving work, and when he made it to the employee parking lot, he noticed a white Jeep sitting in the middle of the road, resting up against a Camry. He knew that I drove a Jeep, which was white, so he said I might want to come out and see if it was mine.

Sure enough, it was. When I pulled into the lot, I was nose to nose with another vehicle. During the course of the day, that car left, my Jeep popped out of gear, rolled through the parking spot in front of it, across the road, and smashed into a Camry.

The Camry had a smashed bumper (with nice holes from the tabs for the shackles), trunk, and rear driver-side quarter panel. I haven't heard back from the insurance adjuster, but I'm guessing about $3000-$5000 worth of damage to that dang Camry. The powdercoating on my bumper wasn't even scratched. I can't imagine how much damage would be done to a vehicle if I rear-ended it at speed.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 01:13 AM   #13
AMK

I hope you got your parking brake checked after that day of events.

I have an aftermarket bumper that weighs a ton (especially with the winch) and I couldn't imagine what it would do to a little car if I rear-ended one at speed. But like a previous poster said, the force of the impact has to go somewhere, I just hope if it happens it doesn't go into my body. I've "bumped" into trees/rocks going ~5mph and it is jarring.
Unread 09-06-2004, 08:08 AM   #14
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb76
During the course of the day, that car left, my Jeep popped out of gear, rolled through the parking spot in front of it, across the road, and smashed into a Camry.
This is why everyone should always set the parking break when they leave a vehicle. I'm still amazed of the people that don't use their parking breaks (espically with manual trannies where something like this can so easily happen). I learned my lesson the hard way (similar to this) many years ago and ever since then set the parking/emergency break every single time I exit a vehicle.

Quote:
Unread 09-06-2004, 09:33 PM   #15
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is why everyone should always set the parking break when they leave a vehicle. I'm still amazed of the people that don't use their parking breaks (espically with manual trannies where something like this can so easily happen). I learned my lesson the hard way (similar to this) many years ago and ever since then set the parking/emergency break every single time I exit a vehicle.
The whole incident was very suspicious. Especially since the lot was nearly flat. My driveway is pretty steep. I've been parking in it (without using the ebrake) for years without a problem. The other day I parked my Jeep on a pretty good slope and rocked the crap out of it and it did not pop out of gear. It may have been a fluke, or someone may have bumped me or reached in and pushed it out of gear. I'll never know, but I always use the ebrake now.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.