Replacing a rear side window on a soft top because of broken zipper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Replacing a rear side window on a soft top because of broken zipper

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 06-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
aa192800
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing a rear side window on a soft top because of broken zipper

Anyone have or had this problem? I am currently going crazy trying to figure out how to solve this zipper issue. My drivers side, rear window on my soft top broke. Specifically the insider clip weakened and snaped into millions of pieces!! ARRRGHH....... Its like a 2 cent... piece of metal in a "U" shape that attaches to the material thats sewn onto the soft top. You insert this metal piece into the slidder so you can zip the zipper. Who knew the zipper has so many pieces to it??!!! I've learned a lot about zippers needless to say.

But heres the issue. They don't sell insider clips. WTF ... right? So I had to buy a knew zipper with all the working parts.... not bad... only like 5 bucks. But now I need to sew the new zipper onto the soft top to replace the old zipper.. right. Luckily I live in a boating town and their are a few canvas shops that I thought would be able to help me out. Which is true,..... however they are willing to charge me 135 bucks to do so!!!! Does that seem redicules to anyone?? All I need is a 2 cent piece of crap metal and now I have to spend 150 to get it fixed.

Someone..... Please help my broke bank account in solving this issue.

aa192800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
aa192800
2001 TJ Wrangler 

In case anyone else has this problem. Take your canvas to a shoe repair service shop. I took mine to Anthony's shoe repair, which I think is a chain. Anyways.... they only charged me $40 to put on a new zipper. I tried a boating canvas shop first, and that guy quoted me $140!!
aa192800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Freeze
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem. I just use a pair pliers to open and close my zipper.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem, got to the point I couldn’t use the zipper at all. I put 5 holes through the window and top, got 5 bolts with wing nuts. Works for me.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.