Repair winch cable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Repair winch cable?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
kcpep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Repair winch cable?

I have a frayed spot 6-8 ft. from the hook on the end of the cable. Is it safe to cut the cable and reattach the hook with several cable clamps? I would rather not replace the whole cable right now, cashflow. I'd like to replace with a rope at some point, but for now I just want to repair it as long as I can do it and it's safe. Thanks

kcpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
jerryjeeper
Old Jeep Guy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Winch cables can be re-terminated safely but must be done properly with safety approved clamps.
jerryjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Go to http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ery/index.html just past half-way down and it shows how to properly re-terminate a wire rope. That partcular webpage has a wealth of information by the way, it should be required reading for all winch owners or those contemplating acquiring one.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
kcpep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome link! Thanks
kcpep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.