Regular or Stubby Bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Regular or Stubby Bumper?

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 03-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Regular or Stubby Bumper?

Looking into options for a front bumper and why there are regular and stubby lengths, usually 48" or 60"? Is it just for trail/tire clearance? Is there a reason why I'd want one over the other? What are the pros and cons? TIA

www.this-old-jeep.com
Bren Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by btburke
Looking into options for a front bumper and why there are regular and stubby lengths, usually 48" or 60"? Is it just for trail/tire clearance? Is there a reason why I'd want one over the other? What are the pros and cons? TIA
Typically the longer bumper will protect your fender flares if you have stock flares on or larger than stock but it will limit your approach angle

If you have flat fenders or no fenders at all a stubby bumper would increase approach angle on certain lines being as there would be nothing in the way of your tire to grab and no reason for the bumper to protect anything there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
10 because you're awesomely conservative and bash all the liberals. hoorah!
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Or, get an angled one, protection and clearance.

Write up and pics here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post1718554
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you do fairly tough trails or rock crawl, shorter bumpers will create fewer problems. I still have the old 58" bumpers I installed nearly 10 years ago and the ends of 'em are getting chewed up from the rocks. I'm either going to chop them off when I get a round tuit or buy some new stubby bumpers!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.