Recovery Equipmonk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Recovery Equipmonk

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 03-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
ivtaku7

Recovery Equipmonk

I'm looking into getting some recovery equipment for my XJ build, but I'm on a bit of a budget. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using just a winch cradle as opposed to running a complete bumper set up.

Such as this: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-a...&t_pn=WAR75330

VS.

This: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-T..._pn=W%2fI56054

And also, what winch would get me the most bang for my buck? I was looking into the Warn entry level systems.

ivtaku7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

receiver winch mounts rely on your receiver hitch to be able to handle the stress it'd be seeing with a winch.

If you're on enough of a budget that you can't buy a winch bumper (and you don't even need a $700 winch bumper for an XJ), perhaps you should stick with easy trails or go wheeling with friends, save your money, and get something useful down the road.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

There have been many threads and there's always disagreement. I maintain that it depends on your application. A mobile-mount winch has some drawbacks but also some benefits.

Benefits: not exposed to elements every day, not available to steal/Jeep has lower "theft profile", cheaper than steel bumpers, lighter than steel bumpers.

Drawbacks: possible loss of approach angle, awkward to carry/install, not as strong as a hard mount.

I say "possible" because this all depends on how your receiver mounts. Mine puts my winch mount 20" from the ground and right up against the bumper. I have never hit it on anything on the trail, only once I scraped it on a rock when I was posing for flex. As for the receiver being weak, I find it funny that the same die-hard Warn fanatics would call my Warn receiver hitch "weak". It's made with beefier, thicker material than my OEM Class IV hitch is. Companies like Fawkes Offroad are developing/producing even stronger front receivers with ratings of 14,000 lbs.

As for mounting, people are going to say "are you really going to mount that up when you are stuck?". No of course not! You put it on before you hit the trail and take it off when you get home.

Now if you were building something crazy for black diamond trails, a really hardcore off-road build, definitely go with a hard mount. But if you are building a rig for mild and moderate trails that doubles as a daily driver, there's nothing wrong with a mobile mount as a insurance.

Now for some specific recommendations - the winch mount you posted is specific to the Powerplant winch. Make sure that the cradle you choose has handles and a fairlead mount and uses 1/4" construction. Harbor Freight mount is way too thin. The Promark/TuffStuff/Generic/SmittyBilt unit has quality control issues, I received two defective ones. It seems hard to find a good quality winch mount. There seems to be good mounts available from Warn, Superwinch, and Curt. Don't skimp out here.

As for winches, you can't really go wrong with the M8000 or VR8000 from Warn, especially if you go mobile mount. The M8000 is strong, reliable, and light, especially if you put on synthetic rope.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
ivtaku7

Thanks billz, I think you pretty much gave me all the info I was looking for. This build is going to be a daily driver that I may take off road a few times a year and will probably never see anything more difficult than a moderate trail at the baby stages while my budget is low.

If it turns out the job market is good when I graduate school and can get a real daily driver, then this thing might turn into a more serious build with more serious modifications including a built-in winch bumper. I'm excited to get the build started, so look for it around May when I'm done with the semester and have some time to get some parts and work in.
ivtaku7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bumper , recovery , winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • Recovery Kit - General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (13 replies)
  • Recovery 101 - General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (9 replies)
  • Recovery - General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (15 replies)
  • H3 Recovery - General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (34 replies)
  • Recovery Help.... - General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (10 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.