JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   Recommended Books for Four-Wheelers' & Jeep Enthusiasts. Your Top 3 Picks? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/recommended-books-four-wheelers-jeep-enthusiasts-your-top-3-picks-1509040/)

TrailRated2011 04-14-2013 09:50 AM

Recommended Books for Four-Wheelers' & Jeep Enthusiasts. Your Top 3 Picks?

3 Attachment(s)
Mine are:

Four-Wheeler's Bible, 2nd Edition, ISBN: 9780760335307, Publisher: Motorbooks

Four-wheeling expert and fanatic Jim Allen has long been four-wheelers’ most respected and reliable guide. This new edition of Allen’s bestselling Four-Wheeler’s Bible includes all the basics for getting the most out of your four-wheeler, along with updates on new vehicles, projects, events, and opportunities. The book begins with basic modifications--such as increasing ground clearance and traction with larger wheels and tires--then gathers speed for more advanced and radical mods, from installing lift kits to increasing suspension articulation. Step-by-step photo sequences guide you through whatever modifications suit your vehicles and your needs.

With the best information on the latest Jeeps and other off-road vehicles; the most trustworthy advice on used and vintage models; and the most up-to-date news about events, courses, and competitions, this new edition of the Four-Wheeler’s Bible is a resource no four-wheeler will want to be without.

101 Jeep Performance Projects, ISBN: 9780760331644, Publisher: Motorbooks

Routine maintenance. Easy bolt-on projects. Complicated engine swaps. If you’re driving a Jeep--commuting to work or venturing off-road--you want to get the maximum performance, and this book shows you how. Aftermarket accessories and upgrades, suspension adjustments, engine and transmission swaps--101 Jeep Performance Projects walks you through these projects and many more.

With detailed text, full color photos, spec boxes describing the difficulty level, estimated cost and time, and tools needed for each project, this is the book any Jeep enthusiast needs--to keep a Jeep a peak performance, on or off-road.

Jeep 4x4 Performance Handbook, 2nd Edition, ISBN: 9780760326879, Publisher: Motorbooks

The world of high-performance Jeeping can be a challenge. With the used Jeep market growing, new models appearing, and an aftermarket constantly offering new and better bolt-on parts and accessories, there have never been so many options for the off-road Jeep lover. Now in a new second edition, Jeep 4x4 Performance Handbook debunks the myths and eliminates the mystery of getting the most out of your Jeep through the thorough research and expertise of author and Jeep expert Jim Allen.

He explains the bolt-on parts, swaps, and modifications that will give the most bang for the buck, whether you hit the trail in a CJ or a Wrangler (TJ and YJ), a Cherokee, or a Liberty, or one of the many classic and vintage Jeeps available. From bumper to bumper, this book covers it all, improving street performance and off-road toughness, towing ability and suspension, brakes and electrical systems, and the all-important safety equipment and modifications. Jeep 4x4 Performance Handbook will get you on the road and off without breaking the bank of wasting time in the garage.

Cheers+

Mark (Changing Gears) Geres

wilson1010 04-14-2013 10:34 AM

4-Wheel Freedom: The Art Of Off-Road Driving

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Off-Road Recovery Techniques: A Practical Handbook on Principles and Use of Equipment (Off Road & Four Wheel Drive)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BlueRubiconrich 04-14-2013 02:11 PM

Jeep owners Bible By Moses Ludel (I have a signed copy)

74Maverick 04-15-2013 01:43 AM

Why settle for just one book when you can have a subscription. JP, Petersons, and Fourwheeler. I actually need to renew a bunch my nephews/neices dont sell mags anymore for school. But I used to get those 3 plus HotRod, Oldskool/Car kulture Delux, Car Craft, Muscle Mustang Fast Fords, CarDriver, Motor Trend, R&T. Bit of a car nut but honestly when Im getting 6-10 a month(plus Autoweeks that my brother gets) I dont have enough reading material each month.

So I get on here, lol!!!

mike_dippert 04-18-2013 11:44 AM

I have the 4x4 handbook (same as in OP). I flipped through the others in B&N and found them to be a waste of money for me. I already knew it, not in depth enough, or not relevant to me.

TrailRated2011 04-18-2013 02:43 PM

@mike_dippert

Any really good ones that you'd recommend? Ones that would definately be in your top three list.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

mike_dippert 04-19-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrailRated2011 (Post 15314606)
@mike_dippert

Any really good ones that you'd recommend? Ones that would definately be in your top three list.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

For Jeeping 101, the three you posted are great. I learned some things from the handbook. I had been sponging off the internet for several years so there's was a lot I already knew, but overall they're good books. Reading them first would have shortened the learning curve compared to years of internet reading.

I'm at the point now of wanting to do custom fab stuff. Cage design, suspension design, drivetrain swaps. To actually understand what's going on there requires a lot more than 3 books. Metallurgy, physics, schematics, welding...

MrSundays 04-19-2013 11:07 AM

I've got the handbook but they didn't have the other two and B&N when I was there. Ill take a look when I get back to the states.

Sent from my pocket brick

dibeau 06-30-2013 11:29 AM

Jeep Wrangler The Ultimate Fun & Freedom Machine

Give this little book a try, it was perfect for my son who has just bought his first Jeep. I have had many Jeeps and it was even fun for me. It is a very quick, easy and fun read.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...reedom+machine

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/jeep...hack=%E2%98%A0

TrailRated2011 07-01-2013 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
@dibeau: Thank you. Have shared your referral with my club colleagues (www.eotb.ca)

TrailRated2011 07-01-2013 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
@dibeau: Inside page of the book you spoke of says, "Dibeau Publishing". When I read your post I wasn't aware that there was a connection between your name and the publisher? Is this a book that you wrote or are marketing?

mike_dippert 07-01-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrailRated2011 (Post 15627572)
@dibeau: Inside page says, "Dibeau Publishing". When I read your post I wasn't aware that there was a connection between your name and the publisher? Is this a book that you wrote or are marketing?

He joined two days ago, and that is his only post. Me thinks he owes the forum some $$$.

TrailRated2011 07-01-2013 09:47 AM

Customer Reviews - Risk of Bias?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_dippert (Post 15627603)
He joined two days ago, and that is his only post. Me thinks he owes the forum some $$$.

Sighhhh...I depend on member reviews a lot. If a reviewer stands to gain from sales of a product, this introduces bias.

For the benefit of the doubt, may be the name of the publisher "Dibeau Publishing" might have little or no relationship to the jeepforum user-name "dibeau".

Anybody leaf through a copy on the bookstand yet? If yes, does it appear to be a worthy candidate for a place on an off-roader's bookshelf?

dibeau 07-02-2013 01:07 PM

Wow-wee, I do know the author. The book was published by CreateSpace and also a very small company, DIBEAU Publishing, My company and my first book to help publish for someone. This was also my first post on the forum and I am just learning. I have sent an email to the forum and if there is a problem here I am certainly going to remove the post. I have also asked about advertising cost and how to do so.

I have owned more Jeeps than most and absolutely love them. We even have four now. 47 CJ2A, 86 cj7, 97 and a 06. I have actually bought 14 new ones starting with a 1977 CJ5.

This author has a major publisher for novels but this was the first of this genre. I saw it and wanted it. If someone at the forum sees this before you find my emails you certainly have my permission to remove this post.

Again, I love Jeeps and the Jeep Forum and do not want to trouble or anger anyone in the Jeep world. I do feel like we are a very big family. Although I have had many Jeeps I am kinda new at the internet, I guess another sign of ageing!

mike_dippert 07-02-2013 01:22 PM

No big deal. If you are associated with a company or product, and you want to advertise by posting, you're suppose to buy a vendor subscription. That rule pretty much applies to any forum.

The time now is 06:17 PM.