Rear Tire carrier without a receiver hole - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Rear Tire carrier without a receiver hole

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
BeerNut0875
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rear Tire carrier without a receiver hole

I have an 04 with a receiver hitch on it with a stock bumper. I am looking for a tire carrier/bumper without a receiver hole on it. Does anyone know of a brand to look at? I want to keep my receiver as I pull a trailer, and do not want to use bumper pull. The only think I can find is bumpers with a receiver slot.

BeerNut0875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just wondering: Why? If the bumper's built to take it, is there any reason why not to just go with a bumper with a receiver? You end up with a better departure angle and it just simply looks better IMHO: A lot of the bumpers out there are built stronger than any receiver hitch on the market...
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I also have to ask why? Get a bumper with a receiver hitch that is rated for towing, and get frame tie ins. It will be much stronger the receiver hitch, and you won't loose ground clearance either.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
BeerNut0875
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Because most tire carriers are only rated to carry accessories, and have no tow rating. I need to be able to pull a utility trailer loaded.
BeerNut0875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Not sure thaT they make one for the '04, but I have an OLYMPIC "rock" bumper front and back and the front has a receiver hitch, but the rear is just clean and clears the jeep hitch

I got mine from 4WD.com for about $270 bucks

Checkemout

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNut0875 View Post
Because most tire carriers are only rated to carry accessories, and have no tow rating. I need to be able to pull a utility trailer loaded.
What you've got here is simply a matter of certification: Jeep bumper manufacturers aren't going to spend the wad of money to get an SAE J684 certification on their equipment, so they just rate them for accessories, which doesn't require any certs... They could be 20x stronger than a standard receiver hitch and still wouldn't get the rating.. The bumper I got way back when even has tow-chain attachment points, but when I asked the manufacturer about trailer towing ratings, they basically told me yes,off the record it'd pull anything the Jeep could pull, but they couldn't legally tell me X rating.. It's up to you, but I personally don't have any problem with using it for that. (I also pull trailers with bumper-mounted hitches I've made myself: they don't have an SAE rating either...) Your call, of course, but as long as I knew it was a very substantial bumper, I wouldn't have much of a problem with it: it's not like Jeeps are going to be pulling any 10,000 lb. trailer anyway: anything you'd pull is piddly compared to what most of these bumpers could handle..
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.