Rear shock bolts broken - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Rear shock bolts broken

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
cpeters1928

Rear shock bolts broken

Hey guys so I am trying to put new rear shocks in my 96 cherokee country and as I expected the top bolt heads broke off leaving the rest of the bolt in the frame.

Anyone know how I can get this out?

cpeters1928 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Read this (found in a simple google search).
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
cpeters1928

Rear shock bolts broken

Hey guys

So I'm continuing on with the lift on my xj and as expected the upper bolts on both rear shocks broke and are now stuck.

Anyone know any good ways to get these out?

Also since they will have to be replaced since my kit doesn't come with any before I continue what are some bolts I could use in their place?
cpeters1928 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is REALLY common, so common that if you Google it on the full internet, not just ask here and wait for us to Google it, you get a LOT of instant gratification on the fix.
Unread 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeters1928 View Post
Hey guys

So I'm continuing on with the lift on my xj and as expected the upper bolts on both rear shocks broke and are now stuck.

Also since they will have to be replaced since my kit doesn't come with any before I continue what are some bolts I could use in their place?
Drill out. Either use a left-hand bit to try to back it out (can happen when the bit gets a good bite) or a right-hand (common) bit - the hole is thru, so it could be forced out that way.

The screws are M8-1.25 by about 30m/m long. Replace with common ISO flanged hex head capscrews (at least property class 8.8,) and apply either LocTite #242 (install to specified torque,) RTV (ditto) or never-seez (reduce installed torque to half of FSM "clean, dry" spec) to reinstall. If the screws come out for whatever reason during service, clean and recoat. (Yes, LocTite and RTV can help prevent thread seizure, I've been doing it that way for years.)
Unread 01-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeters1928 View Post
Hey guys

Welcome to the forum.
I bring you this little jewel from the stickies in the XJ tech section. Broken shock bolt fix
It's a pretty easy fix.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Congratulations DunmerBoy as the October Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.