Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Re-painting Rocker Guards/Corner Guards

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  snowcrash 
#1 ·
Ok here is the deal. First I'm from one of the "rust" capitals of the world. New England! With all the snow, salt, cold, salt air etc, things rust in about 20 mins. No joke. You can put a bolt on your Jeep go to bed, wake up the next morning and its rusted!!!!

Here is the back story. I installed AtoZ rocker guards, GenRight full corner guards and Rear Bumper. Initially I cleaned them with alcohol, hit them with primer and then a couple coats of Rustoleum textured black paint. Well the paint now looks like crap. (actually started looking bad once winter hit). There is a rust coming through, paint scratches off semi-easy etc. Another "issue" with the textured black is it holds dust and dirt. I think the texture just loves the stuff. The weather is cold as hell and I have hit it with some touch ups here and there (which always makes it look worse because its spotty and I dont take the time to tape if off lol).

So to make a long post short. Once the weather gets a little nicer I plan on taping/masking off the Jeep (around the doors, top, lights in the back, plate, etc) sanding it a little, priming it and hitting it with some better paint. I will prob stick to rattle can stuff because even though I have a HUGE compressor I dont know how to use it for paint or have a spray gun or anything and know NOTHING about mixing paint. I need some suggestions on a good paint which will keep it from rusting (i know nothing will stop it but help it) and also something that just seems to be a little tougher. On a side note not looking for "shiny" prefer the dull/flatish look.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok here is the deal. First I'm from one of the "rust" capitals of the world. New England! With all the snow, salt, cold, salt air etc, things rust in about 20 mins. No joke. You can put a bolt on your Jeep go to bed, wake up the next morning and its rusted!!!!

Here is the back story. I installed AtoZ rocker guards, GenRight full corner guards and Rear Bumper. Initially I cleaned them with alcohol, hit them with primer and then a couple coats of Rustoleum textured black paint. Well the paint now looks like crap. (actually started looking bad once winter hit). There is a rust coming through, paint scratches off semi-easy etc. Another "issue" with the textured black is it holds dust and dirt. I think the texture just loves the stuff. The weather is cold as hell and I have hit it with some touch ups here and there (which always makes it look worse because its spotty and I dont take the time to tape if off lol).

So to make a long post short. Once the weather gets a little nicer I plan on taping/masking off the Jeep (around the doors, top, lights in the back, plate, etc) sanding it a little, priming it and hitting it with some better paint. I will prob stick to rattle can stuff because even though I have a HUGE compressor I dont know how to use it for paint or have a spray gun or anything and know NOTHING about mixing paint. I need some suggestions on a good paint which will keep it from rusting (i know nothing will stop it but help it) and also something that just seems to be a little tougher. On a side note not looking for "shiny" prefer the dull/flatish look.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!
what kind of primer did you use? Use dp40 epoxy primer. That should stop it from rusting. If you use rattle can primer, its gonna come off especially if the weather is as bad as you say it is. Using a paint gun is pretty simple. I suggest that if you want a job well done, do it right and stay away from the spray can stuff.

#3 ·
If you've never painted before, use your New England down time wisely, go out and get some books at yer local book store on the subject of automotive painting. Read 'em. Read more than one, they all have different information in them. You can go to my profile and read some of the stuff I've written on the subject...my way is not the end all to beat all, it just works for me. Go into this section and manually search for threads on the subject, and either book mark them and print them, and become familiar with them.

And, keep this in mind...if all you're gonna do is one paint job, it absolutlely is NOT worth the capital investment in gear, materials, and what not... A decent HVLP gun will run you over $200, and there's no point in getting a fifteen buck cheapie...Good materials are fantastically expensive these days, and there's no point in getting cut-rate materials... The cut rate stuff is gonna frustrate you, is gonna run, don't do it!

Auto body prep and paint is NOT a technical field so much as it's an art...takes years to get good at it, so if you're gonna do a one-shot deal, don't have high expectations, and if it comes out nice, well, good for you!

#4 ·
Cool thanks for the replies. I dont remember what kind of primer I used, but it was just a rattle can primer i know that. I will read up and this spring I will re-think what I'm going to do. Should have done it right when the first time it was off the Jeep, not looking forward to masking off the Jeep lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.