Rattle can paint job on fiberglass body - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Rattle can paint job on fiberglass body

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-08-2005, 07:31 AM   #1
Just Al
1976 CJ5 

Rattle can paint job on fiberglass body

Got my eye on a glass tub for a cj7 (when I finally find a pre-1981 donor frame to mount it on).

Has anyone here done a rattle can paint job on a glass tub before? What kind of prep work is required? Same as sheet metal? Got any pictures of your rig after said paint job?

Alternatively I've got a compressor and a few paint guns - I suppose I could just but rustoleum and run it through one of those - still, thoughts??

Unread 07-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
78jeeper258

On rustoleum and rattle cans

In my younger days, I painted many of my cars using rattle cans.

To prep a galss body I would recommend using a fine grit sandpaper (400 grit) to rough the gel coat lightly so the paint will adhere. I do not currently have any pictures of my friend's CJ-5 we did but it was a fairly durable paint job for a rattle can.

As for rustoleum, I believe it is oil based. Great stuff. If you plan on painting over it with a coat of regular automotive paint, it will most likely fisheye badly. Then you have to sand it all off back to the bare tub.

If you want a decent low buck paint job, go to Tractor, Farm and Fleet (thats what they call them up here at least) and get some enamel tractor paint. It is pretty cheap, durable, and somewhat forgiving. It also looks pretty decent. Plus if its done right, you can just rough it up and paint a regular coat of automotive paint over it later if need be.
78jeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #3
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing with the tractor paint that I have experienced is it starts to chip off easily its wet and sticky for a while then its like it gets too dried out and just falls off.
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
Just Al
1976 CJ5 

Hadn't thought about somethng like tractor paint - good suggestion.

This won't be a daily driver it'll be primarily a trail rig, so I was looking for something that would stand up to a little abuse and be pretty easy to repair if (when) it gets scratched up. I wouldn't put a House of Kolor paint job on a trail rig (though it looked nice on a restored Camaro I had done)..

Ok - roughing the gel coat with 400 grit won't be a problem and thanks for the tip on Rustoleum being oil based - I would probably have tried put a clear coat over it.
Unread 07-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #5
78jeeper258

Another option for paint

Have you considered a black epoxy primer? The epoxy primers seal very well and will not absorb water. Satin black is another name. It's the color all the old hot rods used in the 50's. Its not exactly shiny but does have a slight sheen to it and it should be fairly easy to touch up and/or redo.
78jeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2005, 08:20 AM   #6
Just Al
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78jeeper258
Have you considered a black epoxy primer? The epoxy primers seal very well and will not absorb water. Satin black is another name. It's the color all the old hot rods used in the 50's. Its not exactly shiny but does have a slight sheen to it and it should be fairly easy to touch up and/or redo.

At this point, I'm open to just about anything - I don't have the jeep yet, but while I shop I'm getting everything lined out so I know where I'm headed when it does finally grace (or disgrace ) my driveway/garage.

Got a brand name for the epoxy primer?

I'm familiar with the look you're talking about for the old 50's rods - sounds perfect for the trail too. On top of that I already know I want to put steelies on the jeep so black steelies...and hell, I'll just blackout the whole thing - that'll make it real fun in the Houston summers!

What about application methods for the primer (have you worked with it before)? I've got several spray setups for my other "throw-cash-in-a-bottomless-pit-hobby" (aka woodworking), so I'm comfortable doing that - but what about thinning, flash time between coats..etc... I'll most likely want to use a gravity feed gun so I can get away with less cfm..the questions go on and on, but anything else you can tell me about it would be great!

Oh..got any idea how much the stuff costs?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.