Questions about this here winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Questions about this here winch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
electrolime
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Questions about this here winch

Long story short, I found a Warn M8000 winch in my grandmothers garage and she said I could have it. Pretty stoked since I already have a warn front bumper and mounting plate.

Anyway, I think its at least 10 years old, that said it looks to be in mint condition aside from the cable having a few little kinks. Is there anything I should look for before I fire it up to see if it works? I know they need to be taken care of and I'm sure it hasn't been run in at least 10 years. I cant find the controls, I will have to but one, are the plugs the same/have they changed at all over the years?

It currently has the quick disconnects because its on a hitch bracket right now. Are those cool to keep when I permanently mount it?

Lastly, my biggest question, I found a power interrupt kit with it. I have figured out what it does but cant find much about them otherwise. Should I bother installing this - do I need it?

Thanks for the responses and Im sorry if any of these questions sound novice or have been answered before. I cant find much info on this elsewhere

#donthatethechrome
electrolime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Is the serial number still legible on it? It should be on the right hand side of the winch where the free spool clutch lever is.

There have been changes throughout the years and knowing that will help you find what you need. I don't remember the site offhand but there is one that sells many Warn parts and had diagrams and part numbers for each range of serial numbers. Contacting Warn would also be a way to find out what you need.

If it were me, I would take the planetary gear assembly off (where the free spool clutch lever is), clean up all the old grease and put in new stuff (the Warn CS rep I talked to said to use grease with moly) before I started running it.

I would also get rid of those connectors if you don't plan on having the winch removable/portable. They just add an extra spot for a potential voltage drop.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.