Questions about 1" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Questions about 1" lift

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Questions about 1" lift

Thinking of a 1" lift (body) for my 2005 long wheelbase Wrangler (LJ-TJ). I'm switching to 31" tires anyway (from the stock 30") so I thought it would compliment the larger tires nicely. I read somewhere that a 1" lift can be done as cheap as $100, true?

Will the combination of 31" tires and a 1" lift affect street handling much? ....it's on the road most of the time so that's where I want it to perform optimally, but I want a little more clearance and the better look and height of slightly larger tires and maybe a tiny lift to compliment it.

Since I have a long wheelbase, am I safe in regards to not needing driveshaft mods or anything like that? Is a 1" lift a practical thing to buy used or fab up? Is this a really easy mod all the way around? Thanks.

05Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

https://www.shopatron.com/products/p...89.32360.0.0.0
A body lift won't affect the suspension, steering, or drive shaft.

With the body lift and 31" tires you will notice little difference in the way it handles on the street. Of course the type of tire you choose can make a lot of difference in handling, noise,...
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
I ran 31" tires on my Jeep without a lift and the only modification I had to do was to adjust my steering stops with a washer or two (I had slight rubbing on my front lower control arms at full turn lock).
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you are going to do a body lift I would consider a motor mount lift as well, just to simplify not having to mess with the fan shroud and shifter linkage. As stated 31 will fit on your Jeep stock. You can get a body lift for $100 or less, and a motor mount lift is about $55-60 more. Rough Country will give you a 10% discount if you call them and talk to Jeffery when you make your order, that will know the body lift down to $90, and the MML to about $50.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
If you are going to do a body lift I would consider a motor mount lift as well, just to simplify not having to mess with the fan shroud and shifter linkage. As stated 31 will fit on your Jeep stock. You can get a body lift for $100 or less, and a motor mount lift is about $55-60 more. Rough Country will give you a 10% discount if you call them and talk to Jeffery when you make your order, that will know the body lift down to $90, and the MML to about $50.
Great information, thanks a bunch! I have a mechanic friend who will do work for me for about $30/hour. What do you think the labor would be if I did the motor mount lift and the body lift? In general, is it best to just leave it stock if I'm only stepping up to 31" tires (for mostly street use and occasional "light duty" off road use). I was looking under it a few weeks ago wondering where in the world the steering stops are, lol, I guess you can't see them. Guess I need to do a search on that. I think I'd have the same problem with the control arms, even with the stock 30" tires they are pretty close at full lock.
05Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #6
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd do the body lift myself if I was you. It's rather simple if you have access to a jack. For the LJ I think it's like 9 bolts for the bodylift. Not terribly difficult. Motor mount lift may be a bit more extensive if you don't have access to tools but just doing the body yourself would save you at least $30 on install.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.