Quadratec Q9000 Winch Review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Quadratec Q9000 Winch Review

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 05-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
csalev3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quadratec Q9000 Winch Review

First off, I'd like to say this is the first winch I've owned, so I apologize for any bonehead comments I make haha. Just like to provide information for anyone curious about the new Q-tec winches. So..

Today was the first day I went wheeling since I got the winch on. I opted for the q9000 for my TJ. When I ordered it I noticed it said the shipping was still pending so I called in and they explained that they had some shipping issues with the first batch and that they were slightly blemished but could send me one now at a discounted rate if I didn't want to wait. Obviously I wanted it here as soon as possible. That following monday the winch arrived about 6 days, including weekend, from their nevada warehouse. (I live in Maine so it was pretty quick) Opened it like a kid on christmas as soon as I got home from work.

First thing I did was make sure everything was there, it was. Inspected the winch, and it didn't seem to have any noticeable blemishes other than the ones I made mounting the center solenoid mount. I got it all prewired and ready to put on my jeep. All the leads are heavy duty and are plenty long enough for any battery configuration. I chose to go thru the grille with mine. The remote is pretty heavy duty feeling, long enough cable to go over the hood and into the cab with plenty of slack. It feels pretty good in your hand and seems to be made of a none slip rubber/siliconeish material. Simple in/out controls.

I have the factory bumper on mine so I ordered the q-tec mounting plate as well. (have a torch, impact gun, and gallons of wd-40 if you've never taken your tow hooks out... a big wrench and breaker bar is what did it for me)

This afternoon I went to a spot where I had to turn around before or risk being mired.... (after 3 day downpour) it wasn't as swampy today so we went for it. Luckily with a heavy foot we made it thru the bog.. There was a 150 foot hill after the hole that was about 30-40 degrees in some spots with loose loamy sand and damp soil.. about 60% of the way up I started to dig in and couldn't go any further under the jeeps power. So we unspooled the winch.

(also, make sure you follow the manual and pre stretch the winch line before using it off road.. prevents damage to the line I guess? I didn't wanna take any chances to I did it yesterday)

Hooked the winch as far away as possible while keeping 4-6 loops on the drum.. Had some trouble getting the line off the drum and had to use the winches power to unspool it some before it came out freely. Got it hooked up and started pulling. Before any loads on it, the volt gauge barely wavers from the norm. Once the full load hits it slowly starts to drop. I tried to aim for 1 min pulls at a time and give it ample time to recharge and cool slightly. A couple times I got a little over anxious and pulled pretty long causing a dummy check gauges light to come on.. The volt meter drops all the way to the left (for reasons I have yet to research) obviously the dinky stock alternator is having some trouble tho... So I guess just be patient, it's not a race. I did find that I was running a little hot sitting for so long while pulling so keep an eye on that as well.. Pulled me about 70 feet with no real problems. The winch itself seems pretty quiet, I don't have anything to compare it too, but sounds the way a winch should IMO. The fairlead was making more noise than the winch at times.

I have a 850 CCA deka starting battery. I have a cousin that deals batteries so I got a deal on a dual purpose deep cycle that will be in in the next couple weeks. I'll post updates along the way as I upgrade my electrical system. I do plan on doing the 5.9 grand cherokee 136amp alternator swap as well so see if that increases the time I can pull before cause the gauge to go crazy. Guessing it will make a huge difference with the beefed up battery/alt.

I haven't come across many reviews or videos on the new q-tec winches so I hope this helps anyone that's looking. I'll try to post a video as soon as I get it uploaded as well.

Happy jeeping!

Unread 05-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
grymsr
Vintage Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

nice review. I will be checking back so see how the new battery works out. BTW I live in Gray. Where do you wheel?

Black Jeep Club v1.0 and v2.0 #1776
DR Z MUST BE STOPPED #7
grymsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
jwhite207
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the review, getting closer to pulling the trigger on this more and more everyday. Another mainer here too, checking in from kennebec county!
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Quadratec
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
2007 JK Wrangler 

Excellent review! I'm happy to hear that the winch performed well for you! Sorry to hear about the voltage/alternator trouble you had. I'm not sure if you were already doing this during winching, but it is best to keep your jeep at a high idle during loaded pulls. Roughly 2000-2500 rpm is the best to keep the alternator kicking out juice into the battery. I'd recommend checking out a Mean Green alternator. They are really good, very reliable and put out a lot of amperage. I had one in my personal jeep for 4 years along with a MileMarker 12,000lb winch.

-Joe

We Price Match, PM me for a quote

Online Hours: 9am-5pm EST Monday - Friday

Jeep Parts | Jeep Wheels | Jeep Tires | Jeep Lift Kits | Jeep Bumpers | Jeep Soft Tops
Quadratec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
csalev3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I was kinda feathering it between 2-3k when I was sitting in it. The only time I wasn't giving it gas was when I was standing outside pulling in the excess line. Thanks for the recommendation on the mean green, but my wallet is leaning towards the 5.9 alt haha... not too far off on output, and with the little bit that I plan... "plan" on getting stuck, I think that and the new deep cycle should suffice.

Think it's great you guys get out on the forums and provide additional information
Unread 05-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
csalev3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Put in a brand new Crown Marine deep cycle battery today. Went wheeling and got nice a stuck. Even though the battery is only rated 560 mma, the battery was impressive. Everything was well lit on the dash compared to the oe style battery with the volt gauge sitting just above 14v. When I clicked the winch on stuff dimmed initially then went back to full brightness. I was buried right up to the frame, purposely dug trenches in a cake batter consistency muck. It sounded like I was pulled a full load on the winch. The volt gauge dropped to about 11-12v, but kept pulling without a hiccup. Kept pulling and pulling then the gauge dropped to zero instantaneously... I think it has more to do with the alternator trying to replenish the battery more than the battery being insufficient. The battery was pulling consistently the entire time. I kept pulling right thru the dummy light until I was out. It didn't seem to hurt anything, although I wouldn't recommend doing that.. Nothing was too hot. The battery was warm, but it could have just been heat soak from the engine bay. The alternator was moderately heated, but not scolding like the first time... and the winch was the coolest thing out of the three.

All and all, I recommend the deep cycle for winch pulling. I'll update again if I get a chance to swap in a higher power alternator in the near future.

BTW, the Q9000... Great winch, can't beat it for the money. Probably have close to 15 pulls with it, all from deep mashed potato to frosting consistency muck up to the frame or doors at times and it just keeps pulling. So glad I got one.
Unread 05-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
OhSethiO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

did you have the motor running? or did you shut it off?
OhSethiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
csalev3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSethiO
did you have the motor running? or did you shut it off?
Running, held RPMs at roughly 2500
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
Jrdchiropractic
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm installing mine on a westin trailblazer bumper and winch plate this week. I'll let you know how it all works out.
Jrdchiropractic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A pure "true" deep cycle battery isn't recommended for Jeeping/winching.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
Quadratec
Vendor
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
A pure "true" deep cycle battery isn't recommended for Jeeping/winching.
Deep cycle batteries are recommended for high electrical load systems. A deep cycle battery would and is definitely recommended for winching. Considering the intense electrical load that a winch under load creates.

-Joe

Jeep Parts | Jeep Wheels | Jeep Tires | Jeep Lift Kits | Jeep Bumpers | Jeep Soft Tops
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratec View Post
Deep cycle batteries are recommended for high electrical load systems. A deep cycle battery would and is definitely recommended for winching. Considering the intense electrical load that a winch under load creates.

-Joe
It would not be recommended for starting the motor, but if it works for you go ahead and do it. Not sure if using a marine style battery for starting a motor will reduce its life expectancy.

I really don't think any battery you could fit in a jeep would be enough by itself for winching. The alternator is the key, a good battery is still import though. I have an 01 sport, it has the larger alternator that came with the package that had the AC, 115 amps I believe. I have a Warn HS 9500i and been pulling with it for over 10 years. The stock alternator has always worked for me. I am sure a bigger better alternator would not be a waste of money. If/when my stock alternator goes out I will probably up grade.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
Quadratec
Vendor
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
It would not be recommended for starting the motor, but if it works for you go ahead and do it. Not sure if using a marine style battery for starting a motor will reduce its life expectancy.
Correct, if you're only using the battery for the starting, lighting, and ignition system a standard battery would be the appropriate choice. However, if you're running a winch, lots of auxiliary lights, or other electrical component add-ons, a deep cycle would be the best choice. The optima yellow top deep cycle that we sell (D34/78) has a CCA rating of 750 at 0F, which would more than plenty for starting up a jeep and running all those accessories.

-Joe

Unread 07-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Jrdchiropractic
2009 JK Wrangler 

Installed q9000 on westin trailblazer bumper. Solid install. Pulled 3 cinderblocks across the yard as a test. Everything worked. Winch is definitely not hot. Ran quietly. Not one issue. Next test will be pulling the jeep up a slope. If all goes well, I'll be burying it in the mud (I I can).
Unread 07-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Jrdchiropractic
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdchiropractic
installed q9000 on westin trailblazer bumper. Solid install. Pulled 3 cinderblocks across the yard as a test. Everything worked. Winch is definitely not hot. Ran quietly. Not one issue. Next test will be pulling the jeep up a slope. If all goes well, i'll be burying it in the mud (i i can).

image-1353824350.jpg

Tags
quadratec , review , winch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.