Problems starting my TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Problems starting my TJ

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
2001TJstudent
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Problems starting my TJ

Thought about posting this in electrical forum but wasn't sure if the problem was strictly electrical. So yesterday it was gong to rain, but the top was completely off, so I put on the emergency top overnight. My idiot self wasn't paying attention and there was a pool of water on top so when I went to pull it off, it basically flooded my floors with about 2 inches of water. The problem is, I'm sure some got behind the dash which is why it won't start. I have nevr had problems starting before this, but not sure the exact problem. I've had it jumped 3 times and sat it for a good half hour during each time, but it doesn't seem to hold a charge, in fact when I turn the key, absolutely nothing happens. It doesn't even want to turn on. Once jumped though, it seems perfectly fine until I turn it off. Haven't changed the battery since I bought it used 2 years ago, but I just have a suspician, the water is the issue since it all of a sudden won't even try to turn over. Not sure if it's the alternator, batttery or what because when it comes to electrical stuff I know nothing. Thanks if you could help and thanks for reading!

2001TJstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
2001TJstudent
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh...and it won't really "click" either. it doesn't really do anything, and the gauges go crazy sometimes. Weird
2001TJstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Am I reading this correctly, did your Jeep sit for 2 years without charging the battery? If yes then your battery is toast which is why when you jump it it will try to start but fail once you disconnect the jumper cables. You more than likely have a dead cell.
Let it dry out for a few days and in the mean time get a new battery and make sure it is charged and try again. Let us know.
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.