PowerTrax No-Slip? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > PowerTrax No-Slip?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-14-2001, 04:05 PM   #1
evilpsych

PowerTrax No-Slip?

PowerTrax No-Slip differential:

anyone use this thing? powertrax says combination of locker performance w/ limited slip-like smooth operation..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2001, 08:11 PM   #2
wakes22

I was wondering the same thing. It sounds like a mirical locker, but thats what they said about the gearless.....
wakes22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2001, 08:15 PM   #3
evilpsych

yeah i know.. which is why i'm askin bout it first.. all the online reviews seem to say it's a good locker.. i wanna knwo long range life and wear on it..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
Unread 11-15-2001, 08:16 PM   #4
bob91yj

I had one in my D35, it's now in my buddies Jeep, entire axle actually. The Powertrax is pretty much a heavier duty version of the EZ Locker. No real complaints when I had it, and my buddy like it even more, as he has an automatic. This one has been Rubicon tested.
I wouldn't say that it's as smooth as a limited slip though, after all it's still a locker.
Unread 11-15-2001, 08:49 PM   #5
Darko

I am also contemplating whether or not to put in into my AMC 20 axle. Is it worth the extra $100 for the no slip, or would I just be better off with the lick rite?
Unread 11-15-2001, 09:08 PM   #6
bob91yj

Actually, I'll be helping with the install on one in an AMC 20 this weekend. The Powertrax is actually approaching a Detroit Locker in price, biggest advantage is you can install it yourself. You do have to pull the carrier on an AMC 20 to do the install though (at least with 4.56 gears, center pin won't clear the ring gear). If you do the install make sure you keep the bearing races and shims on the correct sides when you put it back, and match mark your ring gear with the carrier so it goes back on in the correct position. Use red (high strength) Loc-tite on the ring gear bolts.
Unread 11-15-2001, 09:45 PM   #7
Darko

I order just about everthing through Quadratrac. If you are planning on spending a lot of money there they will set you up with dealer pricing. You get up to %50 off everthing in the catalog depending on the product. The no slip goes for $419, I get it at dealer cost for $344. I dont want to sacrifice on road drive quality too much, and stay in a cheap price range, I have almost no money left over from my resto ( im 16). My jeep will be used mostly for the street, but when I hit the trails I want something I can depend on with out getting stuck with my damn cherokee.
Unread 11-15-2001, 10:15 PM   #8
evilpsych

yeah i'm thinkin lock-right front, and no-slip rear

Unread 11-15-2001, 10:26 PM   #9
Darko

I just read a few reviews and realized Im not too fond of the automatic lockers. My jeep will be used on the street a lot. I just learned that a locker will make snow and ice driving even worse!! I am going to save my money for a ARB or something that I can manually turn on and off. The trick is finding something cheaper than a damn ARB
Unread 11-15-2001, 10:38 PM   #10
evilpsych

heh.. there isnt.. OX is about same price.. just get a LSD then..

Unread 11-19-2001, 03:08 PM   #11
GREGDOG95YJ

IN A WAY THE OX LOCKER IS CHEAPER THAN THE ARB BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHELL OUT THE EXTRA MONEY FOR THE AIR COMPRESSOR TO RUN IT LIKE YOU DO FOR THE ARB.

"just like all addicts my need to satisfy my addiction far exceeds my wallet!!"
GREGDOG95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2001, 04:00 PM   #12
Darko

Actually, you dont even need to buy the arb compressor, what I was planning on doing was making on board air. You would use a air conditioning compressor as a air compressor. Its not too difficult and can be done for around $50. The ARB compressor isn't all that great either, they burn out and take a long time to fill tires with.
Unread 11-19-2001, 09:28 PM   #13
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No doubt! The ARB compressor is absolute junk! If you can get the old style, that one is fine. Slower, but sturdier. The new one, since about 96, is junk.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2001, 08:25 PM   #14
jpwranglr9

i had a gearless...HAD, damn thing, oh well...then a detroit for the 35...hard and loud...now i have the no-spin...still a positive lock like the detroit but no clicking...thats all...it's still a locker so all the downsides are there except the clicking. i think for the time the earless worked, that was a better locker. but hay, i off road, if i was on the road all the time i wouldnt need the gearless. for the extra cost, i dont know, but i payed 350 for it so it wasnt to bad. i still have the detroit for the 35. its in a rear end right now with 4.56 and disks.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2001, 08:27 PM   #15
jpwranglr9

oh, and i live in MI and driving on snow and ice isn't much difference. you get used to it and can predict it. actuly makes it fun to drive sometimes.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.