POR15 paint on skid plates - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > POR15 paint on skid plates

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

POR15 paint on skid plates

I just painted rusty underside of my Jeep and running gear with POR15. Worked great. Whole underside of Jeep is painted with two coats.

My new skidplates were recently powder coat painted.

If I had it to do over again, I'd paint skid plates with POR15 because it costs less, can do it yourself, gives much better rust protection, and is as tough IMO.

Costs Less: A quart costs $45 and is way more than enough to put 2 or 3 coats on all skidplates and have enough left to paint some rusty areas under vehicle (if you have any).

Tough: I saw a video where a pipe was painted with POR15. The pipe was beat against heavy metal objects until the pipe was flat. The paint was undamaged.

Rust Protection: POR15 is the stuff used to paint ocean going ships below waterline. So more than good enough for skid plates.

It's easy to work with and very effective, if you find good instructions on Interweb, prep carefully, paint two coats, and don't cut corners.

It's be way better and cheaper than powder coat or bedliner.

I recommend POR15 for painting skid plates, running gear, underside of body/frame. I even used it on my brake drums.

Unread 08-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i'm definitely NOT a fan of powder coating. here in the rust belt, it gets chipped on the road and the rust is almost immediate.
really, the only bad thing i've heard about POR is that you'd better drill what holes you think you'll need before brushing it on as it dries so hard. otherwise, most reviews are very positive. good luck to you for sure.
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
YJgearhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger01 View Post
i'm definitely NOT a fan of powder coating. here in the rust belt, it gets chipped on the road and the rust is almost immediate.
really, the only bad thing i've heard about POR is that you'd better drill what holes you think you'll need before brushing it on as it dries so hard. otherwise, most reviews are very positive. good luck to you for sure.
That's a little bit of an exaggeration but the stuff is tough as all hell though. The best part is the POR15 is more flexible than powdercoating, so if you bang your skid off a rock it doesn't damage anything.

The only downfall is the lack of UV protection in the product, after a few weeks in the sun it looks chalked as all get out. It'll go from full gloss shiny black to dull and chalky grey that quick.

Doesn't hurt the durability, it just doesn't look as good.

Otherwise the best product you can use on an underbody.
YJgearhead89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJgearhead89 View Post
That's a little bit of an exaggeration but the stuff is tough as all hell though. The best part is the POR15 is more flexible than powdercoating, so if you bang your skid off a rock it doesn't damage anything.

The only downfall is the lack of UV protection in the product, after a few weeks in the sun it looks chalked as all get out. It'll go from full gloss shiny black to dull and chalky grey that quick.

Doesn't hurt the durability, it just doesn't look as good.

Otherwise the best product you can use on an underbody.
Sun doesn't shine on underside of my Jeep. So how would UV ever touch most skid plates?
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
YJgearhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I didn't know if you had a skid or cover on the front axle or something like that. But unless you've got a crazy lifted rig you should be fine. And the UV sensitivity is just something I think everyone should be aware of.

Maybe that's just a side effect of selling this stuff for a few years now.

But you shouldn't have any trouble from the costing provided it was dry and reasonably clean.
YJgearhead89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My cousin preps real good before painting.

If someone had a skid somewhere the sun might touch (like a front skid), then sand the POR15, use tiecoat, then spray-can primer (I prefer Duplicolor self etching primer), then spray-can paint (I prefer Duplicolor enamel). Then done and can handle sun.

That bunch of steps might cost as much as powder coat, but would be a better result. IMO. Much more rust resistant than powder coat, IMO.

For other skid plates that the sun won't touch (under Jeep) just paint with POR15 and done. Easy, cheap, and excellent rust protection. Durable too.
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Por 15 is an undercoating! not something to protect your from damage. It is as durable as any other paint.

Powdercoat is not a Paint! It is a protective coating that is BAKED on. If your pc is flaking off on the highway, you are using the wrong guy. Go back and get your money back. PC is joked as being bulletproof (i know it isnt) but it IS almost that strong. I have had PC on my full body wrapped armor and soft rolled and rubbed hard against trees and all that with NO pc removal. And I did all my pc'ing which was my first try testing out a friends pc walk in oven. More than likely, they didnt prep it all well which is why it didnt stick.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

POR15 is very durable, as long as sun doesn't touch it.

There is no doubt that POR15 offers better rust protection than powder coat. POR15 is used to paint ocean going ships below the waterline. Would powder coat stand off rust protection like that? No.
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Why do you say pc doesn't hold off rust? It completely covers and seals the under material from air. Why would it not seal from rust or external elements?

Who cares about undersides of ships? Who cares about being submerged in salt water? How does that compare against wat we put out jeep thru? And since yu keep bringing up ships, I have never seen a big enough oven to put a ship in to pc.

Just to be clear, I have por 15 covering my axles but know it isn't bulletproofing for the housings.
Unread 08-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I never said its bullet proofing. I just said it offers superior rust protection, is durable, and is cheap if you do it yourself.

The potential problem with PC is when (for any reason) it gets scratched though or chipped off in a spot (may be from a rock hit, or other cause) water starts working its way under it.

People who live in the rust belt (more than half of the USA) drive in, on, though salt water every day during every Winter. The level of salt water exposure is comparable to driving (at high speed) through 1/8" of surf (with deeper puddles at times) every day for 4 to 6 months of every year. Vehicles eventually get totaled by rust. So analagies to paint on ocean going ships are relevant.

You don't have those ^ Winter conditions and salted roads in Louisiana. Your situation is different.

POR15 was made specifically to protect against salt water.

POR15 is rather durable for resisting impact and abrasion - more than typical spray paints. I saw a video where POR15 was painted onto a pipe. The pipe was beaten against heavy metal objects until the pipe was flattened on one side. The POR15 was undamaged. I'd call that durable.
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Powder coat can give great rust protection IME if these things are done:

1) Really good prep work before painting.

2) A coat of powder coat zinc primer. (Very effective rust protection)

3) Then a coat of powder coat paint.

IME that ^ works great, but is expensive (because every part is powder coated twice). This is what I did on my skid plates on my prior Jeep and current Jeep.
But most people's powder coat skips steps 1 and/or 2. Skipping steps 1 or 2 makes it vulnerable to rust IMO. Especially if living in the rust belt.
After recently putting POR15 on my diff housings, I think POR15 could be a good alternative for skid plates, cost less, and be a good DIY project.
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I never said its bullet proofing. I just said it offers superior rust protection, is durable, and is cheap if you do it yourself.
No, you said if you had to do it over btw pc and por, you would do por because it offers "much better" protection, is DIY and is as tough. Then later you compare it to sub salt water conditions.

I have been trying to tell you that por is nothing close to pc level of protection.

Quote:

The potential problem with PC is when (for any reason) it gets scratched though or chipped off in a spot (may be from a rock hit, or other cause) water starts working its way under it.
Yep. Just like every other similar type thing like paint.
Quote:

People who live in the rust belt (more than half of the USA) drive in, on, though salt water every day during every Winter. The level of salt water exposure is comparable to driving (at high speed) through 1/8" of surf (with deeper puddles at times) every day for 4 to 6 months of every year. Vehicles eventually get totaled by rust. So analagies to paint on ocean going ships are relevant.

You don't have those ^ Winter conditions and salted roads in Louisiana. Your situation is different.
Really, is Louisiana not in the rust belt? We don't do that salt thing, but I know what rust is and how it comes about.

Quote:
POR15 was made specifically to protect against salt water.

POR15 is rather durable for resisting impact and abrasion - more than typical spray paints. I saw a video where POR15 was painted onto a pipe. The pipe was beaten against heavy metal objects until the pipe was flattened on one side. The POR15 was undamaged. I'd call that durable.
Once again, you are comparing a pipe being hit against something as if that is how you treat your jeep. Thing about it this way, if you paint por on a piece of tin foil, and hit it on something, the foil will fold or 'flatten out' before the metal does (I just said that to show you how that statement can be flawed).

Also, I would think you could touch up the skids with por btw wheeling trip if the coating started to break, which it will.

Once again, I was just trying to inform you, pc is better than po for protection in areas that need protection. I have por on my axles (couldnt pc at the time) and had pc on every piece of armor (side and bottom) and there is no way I would use por a single skid or anything that you want to look nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Powder coat can give great rust protection IME if these things are done:

1) Really good prep work before painting.

2) A coat of powder coat zinc primer. (Very effective rust protection)

3) Then a coat of powder coat paint.
Yes you just described the process. Good job.

Quote:

IME that ^ works great, but is expensive (because every part is powder coated twice). This is what I did on my skid plates on my prior Jeep and current Jeep.
No sh*t. Same can be said about painting or any top coating procedure. So you are saying that you had a guy that didn't prep, and it turned out bad. No offense, but you picked the wrong guy. That is your fault buddy. Read my post above. All of my personal pc was done by me on the first try, I know what to do to prep it. I had lived that story.

Don't blame the donut because the donut shop didn't make it right. Go to a better donut shop.

Quote:
But most people's powder coat skips steps 1 and/or 2. Skipping steps 1 or 2 makes it vulnerable to rust IMO. Especially if living in the rust belt.
After recently putting POR15 on my diff housings, I think POR15 could be a good alternative for skid plates, cost less, and be a good DIY project.

Once again see above. Your argument is base on something else besides the product of PC. Since you keep bring up bad prep, I will say this. Por is the exact same way. If you can prep for one, you can don't for both. Maybe next time you prep your stuff that goes to the PC guy, he might give you a discount and you will know it was prepped right before. Then, if it flakes you will know what it was and why. Or just por everything ... There is a reason no one does that already.
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You don't know about the rust belt conditons. You live in Louisiana.

The guys who live in the rust belt who posted earlier in this thread have opinions much closer to mine than yours.

When I said POR15 offers better protection, I meant better rust protection than a typical powder coat (which typically lacks a zinc powder coat primer).

How many people apply a coat of zinc powder coat primer before the powder coat paint? Almost no one.

If a powder coat zinc primer is used before the PC paint, then its good, but that is rarely done. If it is done, it's an expensive two coat PC project.

POR is less expensive, can be a good DIY project, and I think would work well.

===

Lastly, you powder coated your own parts, which makes PC an affordable DIY project for you, but most people don't have the facilities to do PC themselves. Anyone can use POR15 at home for a DIY project.
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I agree that improper prep work will ruin any type of paint job.

You're correct there.
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just ordered two new diff covers.

I will have them powder coat zinc primed and then powder coat painted to match my body paint.

This is because I want the color to match my body paint, and PC can do that. The rust protection will be good because of proper prep, zinc PC primer, then PC paint. i.e. - it will be a quality PC job. Not the typical PC job.

POR15 would be much cheaper and I think the protection would be fine. However, POR15 wouldn't be the color I want.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.