Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #91
JK_Driver

2010 JK Wrangler 

Ok RowJ and FernBchJeep, we now know how many inches in total length the louvers are, but, what about the size of the louver opening, the open section, is it 1/2", 3/8", 5/8"? If the Run Cools have a bigger, let's say "mouth" opening, then the total inches of opening is increased!!! Hey, I just want to watch this discussion continue!!

Unread 05-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #92
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_Driver View Post
Ok RowJ and FernBchJeep, we now know how many inches in total length the louvers are, but, what about the size of the louver opening, the open section, is it 1/2", 3/8", 5/8"? If the Run Cools have a bigger, let's say "mouth" opening, then the total inches of opening is increased!!! Hey, I just want to watch this discussion continue!!
Runcool has the info posted on their website. The louvers RowJ has mount on an opening that is about 168 sq inches. Actual vented area is about 25% less with the louvers installed.

The PSC louvers is not posted and is an approximate calculation.

As for the width I do not know the RunCool's. PSC's are just under 1/2".

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #93
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mine are not the high flow louvers from Cool Run.... which have exaggerated depth to their openings.
I close not to go with them to keep rain out from under hood when TJ was parked.
No idea if that is valid??

I'm assuming our openings are close to the same based on the PSC louvers I have seen.
Actually, just got off my butt and measured them.... also 1/2".

Only other variable I can see is the location of the openings.
I know Run Cool focuses on the top of the hood where the heat collects on shut down.
1- Does 'hole' locations make a difference when stationary?.......
2- Does it make a difference on the Hwy?......
(I do remember thinking PSC's 'holes' near the fan shroud seemed of little value)

I could argue either way as to which design is better .... but I have absolutely no idea!

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #94
WhiteMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
Mine are not the high flow louvers from Cool Run.... which have exaggerated depth to their openings.
I close not to go with them to keep rain out from under hood when TJ was parked.
No idea if that is valid??

I'm assuming our openings are close to the same based on the PSC louvers I have seen.
Actually, just got off my butt and measured them.... also 1/2".

Only other variable I can see is the location of the openings.
I know Run Cool focuses on the top of the hood where the heat collects on shut down.
(I do remember thinking PSC's 'holes' near the fan shroud seemed of little value)

I could argue either way as to which design is better .... but I have absolutely no idea!

RJ
I live in Florida and have had my PSC's on for over a year and have had no issues with the rain (we get a lot sometimes!).

When parked I would guess there is no difference as they still let the heat out. Don't know about the Hwy as it is moving and I look at air flow at that speed as air flow, IMHO.

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
Unread 05-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #95
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
I could argue either way as to which design is better .... but I have absolutely no idea! RJ
I suspect we are over analyzing this topic....but at least one member is interested!
I just returned from a 90 min round trip at 60 mph. w/ a sunny 80* OAT.
My coolant had been locked at 205* (dead center between the 1 and the 2 in 210).
I paused to check hot air flow from louvers. With no wind and Jeep on level ground, I was interested to note that I had about twice the hot air escaping from the high end of my louvers (windshield end) than from the front end.
Meaningful.....??

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #96
JK_Driver

2010 JK Wrangler 

You guys carried on in great detail the information on both units!!! What have we learned? They seem about equal maybe, like FernBchJeep said. So, guess I'll go with the PSC since it looks bad ***!! That's if the wif will let me cut the hood! She is not too interested in the louvers. Oh well, we'll see what happens!!
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #97
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bump for anyone thinking of going with this setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #98
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just look at all that hot air pouring out of my PSC hood vents!

TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #99
SmedzJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
If anyone has one on their own rig post up pics.
I got mine today and plan to install it on Friday. I'm sooo stoked to see how it looks and works.
SmedzJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #100
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmedzJK View Post
I got mine today and plan to install it on Friday. I'm sooo stoked to see how it looks and works.
so easy to install.

As long as you are past the fear of drilling holes and cutting sheet metal on your Jeep.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #101
WhiteMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmedzJK View Post
Take the hood off and put it on a big piece of cardboard on a bench or the floor. Makes it very easy to do. There's a video on Youtube showing how to do it. Just search PSC Hood Louver and you should find it.

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #102
SmedzJK

I have some scrap sheet metal that I plan to practice on before cutting into my hood.
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #103
SmedzJK

Finished the install yesterday. Overall, it was pretty easy. Not too impressed with the locking nuts, however (not very good quality). Instructions were easy too follow.

image-1441916644.jpg
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #104
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good, I like the color matching you did with the grille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #105
slider_68
2011 JK Wrangler 

Installed mine a couple of weekends ago, simple easy to follow instructions, the hardest part was drilling that first 1" hole, after that it got easier, then kinda fun, by the end I was looking for stuff to cut off...

slider_68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.