Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #76
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead89 View Post
I don't mean to be the cloud on a sunny day here, but driving in a heavy rainstorm will mean a bunch of water pouring all over the engine. Water and electrical components don't play well together.
If you're driving in a rain storm, your engine will get wet. Even without the holes In your hood. I haven't had any issue with rain water at all.

It's not a serious concern of mine with the hood Louvers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #77
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't mean to be the cloud on a sunny day here, but driving in a heavy rainstorm will mean a bunch of water pouring all over the engine. Water and electrical components don't play well together.
We have a huge hole in the body right in front of the engine that lets air and, oh yeah, water in.

I also don't know of anyone who still has the rubber splash guard still attached. Mine fell off years ago. Your tires kick water (and everything else) up into the engine bay.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #78
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine has a force field that protects the engine
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #79
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i've had mine on for a year i guess. though it doesn't seem to hurt anything i just would like to come up with something that didn't let water in every time it rained. i have no problem when i go off roading and what not, but since it's not my dd i'll probably just get a whole car cover for it to protect it from the sun as well.
eduardostewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #80
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I Plastidipped my entire engine. It doesn't get wet from the HUGE HOLE underneath the Jeep. I'm not even worried about the little vent openings in my PSC Hood Louver.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #81
JK_Driver

2010 JK Wrangler 

Hey Carlos, someone mentioned using silicon caulk on it when it's installed, I read somewhere else about running some electrical tape along the inside, run it a little bit away from the edge and yes, it will cover the holes where the bolts go, but, you just push the bolts through it. The thought was that with the tape, then there is no metal to metal contact that does start corrosion, aluminum louver material against the painted metal hood. I have not ordered my PSC louvers yet, but, when I do and when I install, I might just run a 1 1/2" wide strip of electrical tape along the inside edges. Anyone have any thoughts on this and the possible rusting if not done? Nice Jeep by the way!!
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #82
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I have noticed lower temperatures while on the freeway and on the trail.......... .
I have the 'Run Cool' Louvers. I ride with several that have Spyders.
Of the four of us that have discussed it.... none of us see lower coolant temps (at the gauge) on the hwy.
I still get a mild overheat running the A/C at hwy speed when it's over 80* OAT. No more nor less than before the louvers.

The biggest two advantages, IMO, are prevent overheating from long term idling and to reduce heat soak when shutting down in the summer. And possibly releasing heat to reduce air temp around the engine.... thereby causing cooler air to be sucked into the engine??

i love the look and do think they are worth the cost but.......If your having overheaing problems, don't count on much help from louvers.

RJ.
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #83
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
I have the 'Run Cool' Louvers. I ride with several that have Spyders.
Of the four of us that have discussed it.... none of us see lower coolant temps (at the gauge) on the hwy.
I still get a mild overheat running the A/C at hwy speed when it's over 80* OAT. No more nor less than before the louvers.

The biggest two advantages, IMO, are prevent overheating from long term idling and to reduce heat soak when shutting down in the summer. And possibly releasing heat to reduce air temp around the engine.... thereby causing cooler air to be sucked into the engine??

i love the look and do think they are worth the cost but.......If your having overheaing problems, don't count on much help from louvers.

RJ.
I have installed a PSC louver on my TJ. I did not see a big drop in engine temp. What I DID see was a BIG drop in under hood temps, around 40° or so. My heat soak is non-existent now, and I have actually seen the temp gauge move up and down between 200° and 210° when driving and running the AC has not effect. Before the louver install it would sit on a rock solid 210° all the time and even creep up to 215°+ in traffic. So to me it was worth every penny.

The PSC louvers also have about 30-40% more venting than the Run Cool louvers do (judging by what they look like).

If you are experiencing any kind of over heating issues you may want to inspect your cooling system closely.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #84
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernBchJeep View Post
The PSC louvers also have about 30-40% more venting than the Run Cool louvers do (judging by what they look like).

If you are experiencing any kind of over heating issues you may want to inspect your cooling system closely.
Off top of my head I wold argue your first point.
But since 'hole' sizes are not published, it's difficult to compare sq Inches of louver vents?

On second point - entire cooling system was replaced when I bgt this 98.
And a new 4.0L engine was installed 8,000 miles ago.
My only over heat condition is with A/C on, and since compressor is original....??
Also, many early TJ's (97-99) report overheating with A/C.

RJ
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #85
WhiteMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Off top of my head I wold argue your first point.
But since 'hole' sizes are not published, it's difficult to compare sq Inches of louver vents?

On second point - entire cooling system was replaced when I bgt this 98.
And a new 4.0L engine was installed 8,000 miles ago.
My only over heat condition is with A/C on, and since compressor is original....??
Also, many early TJ's (97-99) report overheating with A/C.

RJ
Wasn't aware of issue with the earlier TJ's and AC. Mine's an 03 and my issue was heat soak. After the louver install operating temp is right around 205 and heat soak is gone.

I though the PSC had more vent area based on the pics I saw as they run the length of the raised portion of the hood and also the area between the rubber stops. I do realize that it's only my humble opinion.

Top side

View from the bottom.

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #86
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernBchJeep View Post
..I though the PSC had more vent area based on the pics I saw .... I do realize that it's only my humble opinion.
Great pics. And after seeing your pic from underneath, I suspect you may be right?
At risk of beating dead horse.... I would be interested in your measuring width of each vent hole and reporting # of holes.
I can do same.
People at 'Run Cool" claim serious research was done to design their location and shape for max cooling. That's why I bgt. their louvers instead of the cooler looking (no pun intended) PSC.
But, like everyone else, they also claim cooler coolant temps and possible HP gain from cooler intake air. So ..........??

Just coming up with comparison of sq. inches,while not conclusive, would be interesting, to me at least.
And I do have room to add other louvers, if more would be benificial??
jeep-hood-louvers-2.jpg   jeep-hood-louvers.jpg  
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #87
WhiteMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Great pics. And after seeing your pic from underneath, I suspect you may be right?
At risk of beating dead horse.... I would be interested in your measuring width of each vent hole and reporting # of holes.
I can do same.
People at 'Run Cool" claim serious research was done to design their location and shape for max cooling. That's why I bgt. their louvers instead of the cooler looking (no pun intended) PSC.
But, like everyone else, they also claim cooler coolant temps and possible HP gain from cooler intake air. So ..........??

Just coming up with comparison of sq. inches,while not conclusive, would be interesting, to me at least.
And I do have room to add other louvers, if more would be benificial??
I can measure when I get home later today and post up.

As for cooler temps, ok. But it must be defined. I definitely have cooler underhood temps, the heat is not trapped in there anymore. As for cooler intake air, maybe I guess. The intake horn is the front right corner so when moving I really don't see where there would be much, if any, reduction in intake air temps.

I also don't know about "cooler coolant temps" (t-stat opens at same temp louvers or not) but I could believe more efficient cooling. Before the install I would run rock solid at 210° in hot, cold, or any weather in between. In the summer in traffic 215° or so was the norm. After install I run right around 205 or so. The needle sits at the left edge of the 210 mark instead of right on it and will move a needle width back and for when driving, even in traffic. The heat soak issue I had is now non-existent.

The other nice thing about the louver is no more hood flutter at highway speeds. It isn't a "kite" anymore. Who knows maybe it even makes the brick more aerodynamic.

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #88
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'll measure tonight also!

EDIT: 07:00 - 14 louvers @ 7"; 4 louvers @ 6" = 122" total
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #89
WhiteMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have 74 louvers at about 2-1/2 sq inches. Total is about 160-170 sq inches.

I did find the spec sheet for yours, they have it at about 120-125 sq inches of venting but you have room to add if you want more. If you look at it area wise, the equivalent area of coverage with the RunCool vents would be the same or even a little larger. Mainly because the RunCool vents are one at 6-1/2 or 7-1/2 inches long instead of two around 3 inches per row.

That said, depending on your set up, the RunCool vents could give you more space.

Now, where'd I put that crow recipe........

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #90
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your calculations.
I had already edited my previous post...after measuring!

RJ

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.