Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install

4th of July Military Discount! (Active: July 2 - 16, 2014)Currie RockJock Products!!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #46
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawjob View Post
HOLY CRAP that looks awesome Im going to do that to my YJ buggy. Very nice Carlos
I can't wait to see you getting to that buggy build! Should be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprungover View Post
Do they sell these without the logo?
And no they do not see without a logo but if you're super concerned about it, it really isn't visible from the front being that its flat to the hood. I'm a fan of the logo but never the less I see your concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #47
04WJny

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do you know the exact thickness of this? when i get one i would like to replace the button head screws with some flat head ones for a sleeker look
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #48
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry I do not, it's thicker than the hood sheet metal though!

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #49
DTS
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04WJny View Post
Do you know the exact thickness of this? when i get one i would like to replace the button head screws with some flat head ones for a sleeker look
The hood louver is .063" thick. The thickness of the beveled head on 10-24 flat head socket cap screw is .127". You'd need to be EXTREMELY careful when drilling with the countersink bit, then over-drill the holes in the hood and use an over-sized flat washer on the underside to allow for the flat head to sit flush with the surface of the hood louver. Sounds like a ton of very tedious work with no room for error. Here's McMaster-Carr's page with the CAD drawing for the flat head screw you'll need: http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/90585a243/=lc05a8

DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #50
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
The hood louver is .063" thick. The thickness of the beveled head on 10-24 flat head socket cap screw is .127". You'd need to be EXTREMELY careful when drilling with the countersink bit, then over-drill the holes in the hood and use an over-sized flat washer on the underside to allow for the flat head to sit flush with the surface of the hood louver. Sounds like a ton of very tedious work with no room for error. Here's McMaster-Carr's page with the CAD drawing for the flat head screw you'll need: http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/90585a243/=lc05a8
Well said.

Quote:
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #51
04WJny

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post

This is what i plan on doing to make sure there's no error on the holes:

I have all of the material needed for the tool already at work so a tooling cost isn't an issue. Once i get the hood louver, i would measure the hole and either find a dowel that fits, or use a larger one and turn it down to fit inside the hole. I would have the drill press centered to the dowel hole which would also be the exact center of the holes on the hood louver. To countersink it, i would clamp the louver down using the dowel to center the hole then remove the dowel and countersink it.

I would test the countersunk height by test drilling on a piece of 0.063 aluminum scrap until im happy with the height and set my drill press stop to that exact location.

It might be a little more work, but i think having it flush to the surface would look pretty sick
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #52
vwtipeii

1994 YJ Wrangler 

the hood looks really good. I am trying to decide if I should just polish mine to go with the black and chrome look or just paint it Hammer Finish Black like my rear fenders are currently. Some have suggested going with Red too but I think that would be too much red on my lil YJ. Thoughts???

Notice I didn't have the hood cut out the entire way on the passenger side because I am using a Turbo City Intake tube and KnN filter that is mounted across the valve cover and the filter sits near the rear pass side of the motor. I didn't want rain to go directly into the filter so I left that part of the hood intact.

here is a before shot:

but notice I have new wheels now... and that is why some say the Red louvers would look good. Or just polish it?

Here are some after shots:

Thanks for your ideas and feedback! Carlos yours came out SWEET!
vwtipeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #53
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtipeii View Post
the hood looks really good. I am trying to decide if I should just polish mine to go with the black and chrome look or just paint it Hammer Finish Black like my rear fenders are currently. Some have suggested going with Red too but I think that would be too much red on my lil YJ. Thoughts???

Thanks for your ideas and feedback! Carlos yours came out SWEET!
I love your YJ! Very nice my friend! IMHO I say leave it, polish the aluminum a little, it will fit your rig perfectly! I was wondering why you didn't have your hood on earlier when you posted those pics, good choice!

Btw, I want to make my YJ into yours. Haha. Just a white version.

Quote:
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #54
vwtipeii

1994 YJ Wrangler 

haha.. thanks man... the shop already painted the louvers Hammer Finish Black... I am thinking about selling it and buying another one that is polished. Did you clearcoat yours? Also, did you use stainless mounting hardware?
vwtipeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #55
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtipeii View Post
haha.. thanks man... the shop already painted the louvers Hammer Finish Black... I am thinking about selling it and buying another one that is polished. Did you clearcoat yours? Also, did you use stainless mounting hardware?
Thats your call! I left mine unfinished, however I did polish it and will likely again soon when the weather gets nicer.. And I did use the provided stainless hardware, but I will likely remove it all and use some hex head bolts.

Quote:
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #56
MrDubbe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am really thinking about purchasing one of these being that I live in the desert and its hot as f&@k during the summer and I have noticed my jeep gets pretty hot while stuck in traffic, drive-thrus and trail riding. I have noticed that my hood paint is cracking in the center and I am assuming because of the heat. I guess my question is that besides looking bad *** how much cooler does it keep your engine? Just curious if anyone has any data.
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #57
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Data I cannot provide, but experience I can. Don't mistake the Louvers for replacing a radiator or something but when your stuck in traffic or slowly crawling on the trail, this will help drastically keep your temp down as it removes the heat sink above the engine. Mine used to run hot all the time on the trail, since I installed, haven't had that issue once.

Quote:
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #58
MrDubbe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. I have experienced heat sink during the summer months so hopefully I can order one soon. What do you recommend for black paint a powder coat finish or something else like spray paint or bedliner?
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #59
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDubbe View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have experienced heat sink during the summer months so hopefully I can order one soon. What do you recommend for black paint a powder coat finish or something else like spray paint or bedliner?
I'm not a fan of bed liner, unless its in the bed, haha I'm picky, but finish is definitely up to whatever you think is better. As I said earlier I left mine completely bare and simply polished it up a bit. Others have bought the powder coated ones, and others have painted themselves. If you're handy with a spray can, that may be a good way to go

Quote:
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #60
Steel4Pens
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would love to have one of these on my Jeep. I have this on my wish list. I want to get me a set of the Ricochet Rockers for my Jeep first. I just have to save the money up for them, unless DTS would be willing to donate some to me.
Red Jeep Club #656
Steel4Pens is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.