Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 01-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #31
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I can think of no reason why it would be worth your while to silicon it. Paint the cut edges of the hood. Paint the insert (either a color or clearcoat). Bolt it on. Water can't hurt a thing.
I did paint the entire hood after I did the cuts. I may at some point go back and run a bead of silicon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #32
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
I did paint the entire hood after I did the cuts. I may at some point go back and run a bead of silicon.
What would the silicon achieve? Nothing.
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #33
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What would the silicon achieve? Nothing.
I misread what you said first, thought you meant there's no reason not to... But yeah to answer your question, some guys do it to keep water from getting between the two pieces of metal, but if the paint is there to protect it, then I see no reason to.

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #34
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my TJ in april 2012 and quickly became a fan of poison spyder. The slow movement through trail really trapped the heat under the hood. Quite simply heat rises and just goes through the holes, it works. Adds a nice look as well.

dsc_0167.jpg  
eduardostewart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #35
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

HOLY CRAP that looks awesome Im going to do that to my YJ buggy. Very nice Carlos

1993 Wrangler, Rock Smashing Jeep, and November 2012 YJOTM... [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rockcrawling-yj-build-1428039/"]YJ Build[/URL]
1.5" SOA, Stak 3 speed Tcase, 37" Swamper M16's...ALOTS of extras
Pawjob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #36
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here is mine...Seems I didn't have the footman loops on yet when I took the pic.

I like it a lot though and get compliments on it. A bit of a pain to clean with all of the louvers

1990 YJ - Trying to sell - Previous Build
blitz134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #37
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz134 View Post
Here is mine...Seems I didn't have the footman loops on yet when I took the pic.

I like it a lot though and get compliments on it. A bit of a pain to clean with all of the louvers
PSC defenders as well I see!

Quote:
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #38
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sick! i think i might pick up one of these instead of a new radiator ill definitley have one of these on my jeep by the spring
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sloooooow-blue-yj-build-1234350"]My YJ Build[/URL][/CENTER]

Last edited by 04WJny; 01-25-2013 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: oops... wrong smiley
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #39
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04WJny View Post
Sick! i think i might pick up one of these instead of a new radiator ill definitley have one of these on my jeep by the spring
Don't confuse what this does with what the radiator does. Your engine is liquid cooled and the radiator is what helps dissipate heat from that. There is no substitute for having that cooling system working properly. I don't believe this will produce material changes in engine operating temperature. It definitely didn't for me.

There are things under your hood though that get a lot hotter than 210 and the heat from them is not necessarily good to have trapped under there (e.g. heatsoak issue that some TJs have as an example). These allow that heat to dissipate and overall keep everything under the hood from baking.
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #40
CaptLeeB
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Love it. I would like to get one in a couple months. Anyone have pics of one with a bedliner on it?
CaptLeeB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #41
DJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Really like the look of these. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question... But what about severely colder temps and/or colder climates? I can see this being useful in summer, but what about the rest of the year?
DJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #42
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJs99TJ View Post
Really like the look of these. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question... But what about severely colder temps and/or colder climates? I can see this being useful in summer, but what about the rest of the year?
Your engine is going to warm up either way, I don't see a negative to this in the colder climates, maybe take a little longer to get the heat going full blast.

Quote:
Unread 01-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #43
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Don't confuse what this does with what the radiator does. Your engine is liquid cooled and the radiator is what helps dissipate heat from that. There is no substitute for having that cooling system working properly. I don't believe this will produce material changes in engine operating temperature. It definitely didn't for me.

There are things under your hood though that get a lot hotter than 210 and the heat from them is not necessarily good to have trapped under there (e.g. heatsoak issue that some TJs have as an example). These allow that heat to dissipate and overall keep everything under the hood from baking.
Guess i used the wrong smiley face haha. Fixed it now lol. I dont expect this to make my jeep that much cooler. However I do expect it to make it look badass
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sloooooow-blue-yj-build-1234350"]My YJ Build[/URL][/CENTER]
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #44
Sprungover

Do they sell these without the logo?
Sprungover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #45
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprungover View Post
Do they sell these without the logo?
Don't think so. I think there was a thread a year or so ago where somebody tried to fill in the logo somehow and then paint over to make it all look clean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.