Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 01-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install

Okay, I have been gathering the pictures for this from my install over the Christmas break for college. A couple people have asked, so here it is, my install tricks and tips for the Poison Spyder Hood Louver.

Bare in mind, this is the YJ version, but I believe the tips will actually come in handy for other versions as well. Feel free to comment with any question, and post any tips you would also like to include once I'm done.

The Big Day:
I received this as a gift from my girlfriend this past Christmas. This was actually one of two Poisom Spyder gifts I had received from her, I know how to pick them

It was packaged very well and that was something that I was quite impressed with.

I was getting the urge to install so I ended up taking some Mother's aluminum polish to it which shined it up a bit.

Before pictures:

Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Install:

I finally made it over to my buddy's shop one day and we got to work. It was a busy day as I was also installing my Bombshell Diff cover, and doing other general maintenance.

We took the hood off and began to sand it down and remove the RUBICOIN decals. This part isn't necessary for the install, however I wanted to repaint the entire hood while I had it off the Jeep.

As you can see in the picture above we lined up the provided template and stuck it on the hood. Mistake #1.

Tip: unless you want to spend hours removing the sticker template, do not stick it on, simply tape it down.

It is my understanding that not all the templates are stickers, regardless, tape works best.

When lining the template up, the footmans loops windshield tie-downs will be of great help. Keep them close by.

We drilled out the holes, following directions printed on the template. It is recommended that you use a hole saw for the large holes in the center. You will be cutting around this, so its not super important if they aren't perfect.

For cutting, we used a grinder, with a cut off wheel. I'm sure many other cutting instruments would work, but this is what we had on hand thanks to Anticanman for sending it to me!

If you take it slow, it worked extremely well and we only used one blade on the entire hood.

We also used a wire brush attachment to grind off any burs left hanging on.

There are about 40 bolt ones that go around the outside of the Louver. They are also marked on the template but for proper alignment, I suggest to save those for later.

Drill out the holes for the footmans loops and put those through.

To ensure correct alignment with your outer bolts, here is the biggest tip. Place the actual Louver on the hood, and put the loops through, then mark out your holes for drilling.

Once I had drilled out all the holes it went outside for a fresh coat of paint.
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

After the paint dried, it was time to install.

I will say this, the Hood Louver itself is excellent, the mounting hardware included is not so much.

To save yourself a little time, I would recommend stopping by the nearest hardware store and picking up some hex head nut and bolts. Otherwise get your Allen wrench ready.

When bolting it up, we started with the loops and then did the outside bolts. For the most part, everything lined up well.

We reinstalled the hood and stood back to take a look!

Unread 01-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The After:

Over all I would say that I am very pleased with the look and function of the hood louvers. Before the install, I would often find myself sweating to the oldies while wheeling because I had to turn on my heater to get the engine to cool down a bit. The amount. Of heat under the hood was ridiculous. Since the install I am running constantly right below 210 degrees and have yet to need to turn on the heat to reduce it on the trail.

I give the Poison Spyder Hood Louver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did you ever put the fan shroud back on?
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Did you ever put the fan shroud back on?
I never had one. I did get one from a friend for a tj but it doesn't fit.

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
DTS
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Nice job Carlos! Thanks for the write-up!
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
Nice job Carlos! Thanks for the write-up!
Thank you! I'm a fan of your guys work, hopefully I can help make others a fan as well

Quote:
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent! Looks great. I will be buying one soon. It gets pretty hot here in the summer.
TJDaveX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great!! Nice write up!!
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
Excellent! Looks great. I will be buying one soon. It gets pretty hot here in the summer.
Thanks, it definitely helps on the trails when there isn't any air flowing through the engine compartment.

Quote:
Looks great!! Nice write up!!
And thanks Canman, I snuck your name in there too

Quote:
Unread 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

soon.....
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If anyone has one on their own rig post up pics.

Quote:
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't taken any shots specifically to highlight it but this one kind of shows it. It's new on the list of mods so not too many pics.

Unread 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Haven't taken any shots specifically to highlight it but this one kind of shows it. It's new on the list of mods so not too many pics.

I'm digging the shop in the background.

Carlos Looks Great.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.