Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install

40K views 130 replies 41 participants last post by  RandyGPr 
#1 ·

Okay, I have been gathering the pictures for this from my install over the Christmas break for college. A couple people have asked, so here it is, my install tricks and tips for the Poison Spyder Hood Louver.

Bare in mind, this is the YJ version, but I believe the tips will actually come in handy for other versions as well. Feel free to comment with any question, and post any tips you would also like to include once I'm done.

The Big Day:
I received this as a gift from my girlfriend this past Christmas. This was actually one of two Poisom Spyder gifts I had received from her, I know how to pick them;)

It was packaged very well and that was something that I was quite impressed with.

I was getting the urge to install so I ended up taking some Mother's aluminum polish to it which shined it up a bit.

Before pictures:

See less See more
#2 ·
Install:

I finally made it over to my buddy's shop one day and we got to work. It was a busy day as I was also installing my Bombshell Diff cover, and doing other general maintenance.

We took the hood off and began to sand it down and remove the RUBICOIN decals. This part isn't necessary for the install, however I wanted to repaint the entire hood while I had it off the Jeep.

As you can see in the picture above we lined up the provided template and stuck it on the hood. Mistake #1.

Tip: unless you want to spend hours removing the sticker template, do not stick it on, simply tape it down.

It is my understanding that not all the templates are stickers, regardless, tape works best.

When lining the template up, the footmans loops windshield tie-downs will be of great help. Keep them close by.

We drilled out the holes, following directions printed on the template. It is recommended that you use a hole saw for the large holes in the center. You will be cutting around this, so its not super important if they aren't perfect.

For cutting, we used a grinder, with a cut off wheel. I'm sure many other cutting instruments would work, but this is what we had on hand thanks to Anticanman for sending it to me!

If you take it slow, it worked extremely well and we only used one blade on the entire hood.

We also used a wire brush attachment to grind off any burs left hanging on.

There are about 40 bolt ones that go around the outside of the Louver. They are also marked on the template but for proper alignment, I suggest to save those for later.

Drill out the holes for the footmans loops and put those through.

To ensure correct alignment with your outer bolts, here is the biggest tip. Place the actual Louver on the hood, and put the loops through, then mark out your holes for drilling.

Once I had drilled out all the holes it went outside for a fresh coat of paint.

#3 ·
After the paint dried, it was time to install.

I will say this, the Hood Louver itself is excellent, the mounting hardware included is not so much.

To save yourself a little time, I would recommend stopping by the nearest hardware store and picking up some hex head nut and bolts. Otherwise get your Allen wrench ready.

When bolting it up, we started with the loops and then did the outside bolts. For the most part, everything lined up well.

We reinstalled the hood and stood back to take a look!

#4 ·
The After:

Over all I would say that I am very pleased with the look and function of the hood louvers. Before the install, I would often find myself sweating to the oldies while wheeling because I had to turn on my heater to get the engine to cool down a bit. The amount. Of heat under the hood was ridiculous. Since the install I am running constantly right below 210 degrees and have yet to need to turn on the heat to reduce it on the trail.

I give the Poison Spyder Hood Louver :2thumbsup:

#5 ·
Did you ever put the fan shroud back on?

#12 ·
soon.....

#17 ·
Here's mine I've had it on for a couple of months now and I love the way it looks! It went together fairly easy the only problem was I used the sticker on the back of the template instead of taping it down. That wasn't much fun to try to take off for about two hours, but besides that it's great!

Attachments

#23 ·
Because we have them printed by our sticker guy. For some reason he can't seem to source plain paper, so he prints them on sticker stock. I keep telling him people will still try to stick it on because they can't follow directions. He just shrugs and says he doesn't have plain paper. If he wasn't just down the street I'd find someone else to print them LOL...

#35 ·
HOLY CRAP that looks awesome Im going to do that to my YJ buggy. Very nice Carlos

#46 ·
I can't wait to see you getting to that buggy build! Should be awesome!

Do they sell these without the logo?
And no they do not see without a logo but if you're super concerned about it, it really isn't visible from the front being that its flat to the hood. I'm a fan of the logo but never the less I see your concern.

#38 · (Edited)
Sick! i think i might pick up one of these instead of a new radiator :rolleyes: ill definitley have one of these on my jeep by the spring

#39 ·
Sick! i think i might pick up one of these instead of a new radiator :rofl: ill definitley have one of these on my jeep by the spring
Don't confuse what this does with what the radiator does. Your engine is liquid cooled and the radiator is what helps dissipate heat from that. There is no substitute for having that cooling system working properly. I don't believe this will produce material changes in engine operating temperature. It definitely didn't for me.

There are things under your hood though that get a lot hotter than 210 and the heat from them is not necessarily good to have trapped under there (e.g. heatsoak issue that some TJs have as an example). These allow that heat to dissipate and overall keep everything under the hood from baking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.