Poison spyder cage vs soft tops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Poison spyder cage vs soft tops

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
laffoonlagoon
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Poison spyder cage vs soft tops

Recently traded my car for an already built TJ I love it despite the woes I've encountered. One of which is finding a top for it. I know I can buy a new hardtop for around $2000. But I don't have that. And if I did I'd buy a long arm instead. Ha. So I've been looking at soft tops and have noticed I can't install the door surrounds due to roll bars. Has anyone else encountered this and what can be done to attach them?

laffoonlagoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
DoGood
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i trimmed my door surrounds to fit my aftermarket cage. I use zip ties to hold the surrounds to the cage. Works pretty well, but you could also drill and tap the surrounds and cage to bolt them together.
Unread 11-29-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
laffoonlagoon
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I'll try that. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap old used set of surrounds and test fit them to see what works. With yours zip tied do they move around a lot?
Unread 11-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
a48jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have the PS Trail Kit. The PO trimmed the surrounds to fit Header Bars, then drilled them (bars) to accept the through-bolts. The top fits like it should and the door/top reveal is spot-on. It can be done, I can look around for a photo if it would help.
a48jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
a48jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a couple quick ones. It may be best to take a specific shot and post.
door-surround-i.jpg

door-surround.jpg

Unread 11-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
laffoonlagoon
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks a48jeep! At least I know it can be done. I've never had door surrounds or a soft top yet so I'm trying to figure out how to approach it. I'm a lil bummed to find out I can't get the trektop nx cause the back of the cage sticks out past stock. I'll try to take some pics of what I'm talking bout
Unread 11-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
laffoonlagoon
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It won't let me post pics. So I guess that's not happening
Unread 11-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
a48jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I meant to get this out yesterday...sorry man. I hope it helps.
door-surround.jpg  
Unread 12-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #9
laffoonlagoon
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! That does help. I tried to post pics of the rear part of my cage but I can't upload pics for some reason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.