painting rusty/metal bumpers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > painting rusty/metal bumpers

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Jeepin'J

painting rusty/metal bumpers

i'm looking to repaint my bumpers, they are metal, i think steel, and have some rust spots on them.

what do i do about the rust if i have to?
what do i do about the sanding if i have to?
what paint do i use?
what order should i do the previous in.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeepin'J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just did a "new" rear bumper I picked up. I took a sanding wheel designed for removing paint/rust to the rough spots, and it cleaned it up nicely. Then I threw down some rattle can primer and finshed it off with a can of duplicolor bedliner. Turned out nice, and seems like a solid finish. Be sure not to do the duplicolor over an aftermarket paint. It did fine on the primer, but bubbled on the semi-gloss I put on the hitch.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
Jeepin'J

thanks for help, but what is duplicolor bedliner?
Jeepin'J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
lambar
1996 ZJ 

This maybe too expensive, but I have been looking at the Por 15 products to take care of some rust problems that I have on my Jeep. I don't know how well it works on bumpers, maybe someone else can chime in. sorry

http://www.stoprust.net/shop/
lambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #5
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin'J
thanks for help, but what is duplicolor bedliner?
it's just a generic bedliner. Like a Rhino Liner Bedliner, but comes in a spray can for $7. I figured if it doesn't work, it was only 7 bucks. but if it's meant to be a bedliner and see some abuse, I tihnk it'll be fine on my bumper.

POR15 is good for rust and supposed to be rockhard, but I think it's a bit much for a bumper. If you got the coin, go for it. I decided to go the rattlecan direction.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
bokey
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin'J
i'm looking to repaint my bumpers, they are metal, i think steel, and have some rust spots on them.

what do i do about the rust if i have to?
what do i do about the sanding if i have to?
what paint do i use?
what order should i do the previous in.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

I assume it is just surface rust? If so do it the correct way the first time; you will thank yourself in the long run.

1. First remote all dirt, loose particles etc. from the bumpter. Just give it a good
washing.

2. Next start to sand the bumper with some 200 grit sand paper.

3. Then start to sand w/ 400 grit

4. Then start to <b>wet</b> sand w/ 600 grit

5. Then start to <b>wet</b> sand w/ 1000 grit

6. Next I would lay down an anti-rust primer (http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...er-264549.aspx)

7. Personally, I would wet sand it one more time w/ some 1000 grit but you don't
really have to.

8. Lastly apply many <b>LIGHT AND THIN</b> coats of whatever your paiting
your bumper with

This is the right way to do it, and the paint won't begin to flake off etc. after a month. I hope this helps! If you have an questions feel free to PM me.
bokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
engus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokey
I assume it is just surface rust? If so do it the correct way the first time; you will thank yourself in the long run.

1. First remote all dirt, loose particles etc. from the bumpter. Just give it a good
washing.

2. Next start to sand the bumper with some 200 grit sand paper.

3. Then start to sand w/ 400 grit

4. Then start to <b>wet</b> sand w/ 600 grit

5. Then start to <b>wet</b> sand w/ 1000 grit

6. Next I would lay down an anti-rust primer (http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...er-264549.aspx)

7. Personally, I would wet sand it one more time w/ some 1000 grit but you don't
really have to.

8. Lastly apply many <b>LIGHT AND THIN</b> coats of whatever your paiting
your bumper with

This is the right way to do it, and the paint won't begin to flake off etc. after a month. I hope this helps! If you have an questions feel free to PM me.
Can this same process be used to paint chrome bumpers?
BDS 2" coil spring lift
[URL="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/engus/Jeep/100_1999.jpg"]Pic[/URL]
engus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #8
bokey
1999 XJ Cherokee 

well chrome is a a real PITA. I personally have not had any experience with painting chrome (since I do like some chrome). Google it to see if you can find anything.
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
bokey
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by engus
Can this same process be used to paint chrome bumpers?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/chrome-black-bumpers-264980/
Unread 05-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Lambar, Por 15 is great stuff. I have used it in my tub before Herculining, also on Frame Rails, and Spare Tire Mount. It is worth every penny. I just ordered more for other miscellaneous applications.
Unread 05-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #11
wwhitby
1979 CJ5 

Don't forget, POR-15 needs a topcoat on top of it so that it won't fade due to UV light. If its in areas that don't see the sun, you don't have to topcoat it.

Warren
Just Empty Every Pocket
wwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

POR 15 doesn't adhere very well to painted surfaces. Need to try and take as much of it down to bare metal as possible. If the rust isn't too bad, you can shoot it with muriatic acid and the acid will eat the rust away. It'll also etch the steel for paint adhesion. If the bumper is painted, I would probably just scuff the paint, run a flap disk (in a grinder) over the rusty parts, and then shoot POR 15 Chassis Black over it (2-3 good coats). That should work out pretty well.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #13
Sahara Matt
Sahara in Disguise

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I posted the same thread a while ago and somebody recommended Krylon hammer paint. I think thats what it is called. It has "hammer" in the title. He said it works great. I havn't used it yet though. I'll look for the thread.

Found it. Rustoleum, not krylon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05darkness
Just a thought, i used this stuff by Rustoleum called hammer finish paint and it just brushes on, or you can get the rattle can version at any hardware store. It gives a nice looking finish thats real unique and doesnt even look brushed on. Plus i put it on my rocker guards after i had them fabbed and it wont fade, crack or chip and its a rust inhibitor. Looks mean i get compliments on it all the time with people wondering what i used because it looks so good.

Just a thought

MY Poor mans paint job and herc, az- rockers, plus flush mount cirlce taillights

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...uliner-560064/
Sahara Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #14
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

anyone used the muriatic trick before. i have like 10 gallons of it and i need to do my steel bumper. anyone know if it will touch rubber or anything to look out for. i use it to acid etch floors now and then for bonding. never thought about using it to etch metal tho.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.