Painting Procedure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Painting Procedure

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15Ē/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
kirkhbauer
1984 CJ7 

Painting Procedure

getting ready to paint but need some advise. Going to paint Gun Metal Gray metalic. is it best to paint everything at one time or can I split it up , tub first then doors, hood, fenders etc sepertaly? painting myself in a small space. By doing so is there going to be a problem matching the panels? I will most likely buy a gallon of paint so it will be all the same Batch. Will there be any problems with this? Thanks everyone

kirkhbauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkhbauer View Post
getting ready to paint but need some advise. Going to paint Gun Metal Gray metalic. is it best to paint everything at one time or can I split it up , tub first then doors, hood, fenders etc sepertaly? painting myself in a small space. By doing so is there going to be a problem matching the panels? I will most likely buy a gallon of paint so it will be all the same Batch. Will there be any problems with this? Thanks everyone
Here are your variables
1. Temperature
2. Humidity
3. Air pressure at the compressor tank
4. Air pressure at the fluid tip
5. Accuracy in mixing each batch
6. Reducer speed
There are others I won't get into.

To answer your question based on my 20 years of experience, I would suggest trying to do everything at one time. This is key. If you paint the tub today and then the fenders and hood tomorrow, those variables can play hell on the outcome. Why? In metallice paint, air pressure and technigue is everything.
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Turpehar is absolutely correct...I painted my Jeep piece by piece roughly the same color as you're suggesting...doesn't EVEN match! One of the reasons he didn't get into was that I painted the tub and fenders and hood at their normal angle...and the doors horizontally...and the doors don't EVEN match! But, I don't care...it's a Jeep...if it was my Camaro ragtop, I would have repainted it...If you want it to match, even out of the same can, paint it all at the same time, and use a proper booth...rent one...worth the money...
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
kirkhbauer
1984 CJ7 

Thanks guys might have to go to Macco and have them spray it. Suppose if im willing to spend money on Dupont better not try this one on my own. Problem is closest Macco is 4 hours away
Unread 02-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
Ja$onMagnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldnt go to maaco if I were you. Im not sure if its the same by you as it is by me, but they do pretty half hearted work. They give cheap prices because they use cheap paint and do a pretty sloppy job. If you're not looking for a show quality job, go there. I wouldn't recommend it though.
Ja$onMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yer on the right track, though...by the time you buy the compressor (and a small one won't do) gun, yadayadayada and materials, you will have spent more money and time than it is worth...and if it's yer first paint job, you probably won't be particularly happy with it!
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
81CJUSMC
1981 CJ7 

Well, If you did decide to paint yourself, being that I have a decent compressor and a gun, what would be the best possible situation for DIY to set up in my garage? I understand I would have to allow for ventilation, but anything I might not be thinking about?

Jason
Unread 02-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Turn off the water heater.
Unread 02-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy View Post
Turn off the water heater.
Amen to that. But actually ANY ignition source for that matter: if you have an electrical fuse box in the garage...well, you'll *probably* be safe...but I'd bag it, tape it off, whatever.........

to which I'll add for the other small inconviences....

Also COVER EVERYTHING...I mean EVERYTHING in the garage: better yet, drape off a section of the garage like a cave/box for the whole painting....that would include the floor. Nothing like random dust to ruin an otherwise good spray. If you dont want to do the floor then WASH down the floor and air spray it outta the garage.

DO use the tackcloth...actually use several.

Take the time to tape everything off.....its a PITA BIG TIME but its small stuff like this that shows the experts from the 1st timers.
BWR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

Kirk, to give you a for instance, my dad and I painted his silver cj5 in pieces in my shop, He even painted the hood and grille outside the front door. Goatboy and the others are right about metallic paint. The grille and windshield frame look alot differnt than the rest of the jeep. He didn't worry about it though it is a jeep. I will say this from what I have seen metallic paint is much harder to spray. We had to respray the hood due to tiger stripping. We did find with two people, one painting and one mixing and keeping the batch stirred up really well the panels will be very close. I am currently primming my 7 in the same shop and plan on shooting things seperatly but with viper red and no metallic. Good luck jc
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
sideways

Kirk, are you using single stage or basecoat/clearcoat?

If using basecoat/clearcoat, you can base one part, let it flash, move it, then move another panel in base it etc...

If using single stage you are better off painting everything at once
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #12
kirkhbauer
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Kirk, are you using single stage or basecoat/clearcoat?

If using basecoat/clearcoat, you can base one part, let it flash, move it, then move another panel in base it etc...

If using single stage you are better off painting everything at once
was planing on Dupont 6000 base coat and then clear
Unread 02-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tigerstriping could be the function of a lower quality paint gun, or spraying too close to the surface...what I like to do with metallics, even though I use top grade guns and don't have problems with 'em, is right after I spray a panel or area, spray a dust coat over the whole thing from at least 2-3' away from the surface...
Unread 02-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
Gunkel

2006 LJ Wrangler 

x2 what goatboy said, a "drop-coat" is your friend!

Fireproof...jeep build thread

Cosmo Blue LJ...jeep build thread
Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.