Painting Alloy Rims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Painting Alloy Rims

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
dogwonk

Painting Alloy Rims

I have a set of Eagle 589 wheels on my Jeep. I really want black rims, and these are silver. I know soft 8's are cheap, but I don't want a steel rim, I prefer the alloy.

So my question is this, can I paint an alloy rim? If so what is the best method to approach this? Do I need to do anything special to them to prep them prior to painting? Is a certain paint better than another?

If I was to decide to do this, I want to do it right the first time as these rims were not cheap.

Thanks in advance!

dogwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwonk
I have a set of Eagle 589 wheels on my Jeep. I really want black rims, and these are silver. I know soft 8's are cheap, but I don't want a steel rim, I prefer the alloy.

So my question is this, can I paint an alloy rim? If so what is the best method to approach this? Do I need to do anything special to them to prep them prior to painting? Is a certain paint better than another?

If I was to decide to do this, I want to do it right the first time as these rims were not cheap.

Thanks in advance!
First thing is to determine if your wheels are clear coated or not. Take a rag with some wax or polish on it. Even just water will do. Rub the wheel hard in one area. If the rag turns black they are not clear coated. If it comes back clean, your wheels are cleared. You will need to strip the clear off first. It does not all need to be removed, but sanding it good with 220 grit followed by 400 will usually do the trick. If they are not cleared just hit them good with 400 grit then clean them real good. Aluminum won't rust, but Rustoleum is great paint. I like the flat black myself. You don't need a professional job, it's a Jeep. Bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 01:09 AM   #3
Wrangler11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did it to mine, and they look great. I just took some high temp paint, put a couple of coats on. Once it dryed I through a couple of clear coats on.

Previous Jeeps
2002 TJ, 1995 YJ, 2 1994 YJ, 1978 CJ7, 1970 CJ1, 2008 Grand Cherokee, 1997 Grand Cherokee, 1994 Cherokee, 1988 Comanchee
Wrangler11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
Kerndone
I lack money

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I sprayed my 589s with Duplicolor wheel paint and I just had them in the mud and grime this last weekend. The wheel paint has an acrylic enamel so I opted for no clearcoat and after all that crap this weekend, I just sprayed them off and they still look great. I was really impressed with how they held up. I prepped them with some 400 grit, cleaned them with a degreaser and then sprayed them.

"tape" them with some playing cards...

and then they should look something like this...

-Frank

'99 TJ - work in progress...see profile

'08 WK - Silver RME, DD.
Kerndone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #5
dogwonk

Frank,

I really like the looks of those. I think you just convinced me that is what I need to do!

Any other pics of them black?
dogwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
Kerndone
I lack money

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sure thing, how can I refuse another chance to post up my Jeep! Here are some poser pics, the sidesteps have since been removed. With my rims having such a large backspace, it was a bit tedious getting good coverage, but just do enough coats and they should look fine. Oh, another tip, don't mess with getting paint in all 8 holes of the 589s, the paint kind of just finds its way in there. Trust me on this, you will more than likely cause drips trying to coat them (ask me how I know). Do one and see what you think, but IMO the paint that falls on them is plenty and they are barely noticeable. If you want, maybe spray each hole from the backside, that way any drips will just be on the back of the rim. I wish I would have thought of that tip when I did mine, but instead I just came up with it right now!

'08 WK - Silver RME, DD.
Unread 06-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
Wrangler11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Frank would be the other member I speak of

Previous Jeeps
2002 TJ, 1995 YJ, 2 1994 YJ, 1978 CJ7, 1970 CJ1, 2008 Grand Cherokee, 1997 Grand Cherokee, 1994 Cherokee, 1988 Comanchee
Wrangler11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That looks pretty sweet.. I've got the same wheels, and a red jeep on some swampers. I just might have to do it.
Unread 06-09-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
Kerndone
I lack money

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have forgot to add that after cleaing my Jeep a bit more thorougly I noticed the rims have a few chips on them. Its not surprising because if the paint wasn't there, the rims would have the dings in them as well. I can snap a pic of what it looks like, but they don't bother me as of now. And I highly doubt anybody would notice them at a glance. Now if they start peeling at the chips, then I'll be pissed I even got into this mess! I guess its something I should have expected, and its really nothing that I am concerned with. Although its getting me thinking that powdercoating may have been the route I should have gone. Either way, they weren't staying pitted and dull.

'08 WK - Silver RME, DD.
Unread 06-10-2006, 11:14 PM   #10
TheWombaT

What happens if you go to paint an aluminum wheel which is pitted and corroded? Do I need to use a self-etching primer when I get it to the bare metal or will any primer suffice (provided it's applied correctly)?

Im going to be painting an aluminum wheel with either duplicolor engine paint or wheel coating. There wont ever be clearcoat.
Unread 12-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #11
1BadJeepX06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Love it! I'm so game! Can I find this stuff at my local auto-parts store??

DH
Unread 11-21-2007, 08:27 AM   #12
shana
2008 JK Wrangler 

any new rim painting updates... its been almost a year since the last post. i was wondering how they are holding up?
Unread 11-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
magyvermcb
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Cant you just sandblast the aluminum wheels? Or would that do damage to them?
magyvermcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
Rubes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWombaT View Post
What happens if you go to paint an aluminum wheel which is pitted and corroded? Do I need to use a self-etching primer when I get it to the bare metal or will any primer suffice (provided it's applied correctly)?

Im going to be painting an aluminum wheel with either duplicolor engine paint or wheel coating. There wont ever be clearcoat.
I was looking for a write up on your issue as well -- daughter brought home my WJ and all the aluminum (stock) rims are pitted.

According to another blog, they first sanded the rims (using 100-400 grit). Then sprayed 2 coats of etching primer. Finally, sprayed 4 coats of Duplicolor Silver Wheel paint.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...d.php?t=112771
Rubes is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.