Paint stripper on aluminum? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Paint stripper on aluminum?

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
wvabreeze
1986 CJ7 

Paint stripper on aluminum?

I just bought a small early 70's fishing boat.The aluminum on this thing is suprisingly thick.Many years of paint needs to come off this thing though.The guy I bought it from said he used house paint.It has lots of flaking so I figured a good pressure washing will take care of some of it.What I want to know is,will certain kinds of paint stripper damage aluminum and the rivets in the ribbing? Personally I would like to get it back to natural aluminum look and maybe clear coat it for protection from corrosion. Any ideas are appreciated.

Unread 01-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
NewTJ=MTPockets
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a welder/fabricator and I wipe aluminum down with acetone all the time to remove any impurities before welding, so I think you'll be fine.

National Topless Day Feb. 3rd!!!
NewTJ=MTPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Use aircraft stripper by KleanStrip...available at auto body supply houses...designed obviously for aluminum or ferrous metals...very, very effective...also, very very painful if ya get any onya...
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
wvabreeze
1986 CJ7 

Thanks guys,I have seen the Kleanstrip at Walmart I think.Just wanted to make sure.Didn't want to make any weak spots in the metal.
Boat + Hole = Bad day :0
Unread 01-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
powerwagon67
2005 TJ Wrangler 

X2! On the aircraft stripper. Works awesome and comes in an aerosol and they have it at Wally World.

Quad Zilla TowRig 2001 F350 Powerstroke SuperCrew (AKA Clyde)

GhostRidersJeepClub.ORG
powerwagon67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.