Optima Yellow vs DieHard Platinum - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Optima Yellow vs DieHard Platinum

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Yep, not a yellow top, but red top. First one I bought was un-killable. Replaced it with another at 10 years and the second an absolute POS. Went with an Odyessy group 34 which is probably who Sears is having build their platinum DH's.

duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #17
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Anybody have a opinion on the DEKA Intimidator also branded for orielly's, farm & Fleet and other places. They run about $150 and are made in the usa. I know not to buy a optima!
|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #18
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Farm and Fleet one is what I will try next. Are they DEKA? Around 115 on sale once in awhile.
The one in my Rubi came from Batteries Plus an X2 power 5year full replacement and was around 240 bucks. It works great with the winch. That was to much to spend on my D.D. If you try one let us know how it is.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have two Optima D34 Yellowtops that have been working fine since 2004. But the reason for this post is to comment about the side posts. If you stack the batteries vertically on their sides (using the Mean Green battery tray or one of it's clones) the side posts would be in contact with the metal of the battery tray, causing a possible short circuit since the powdercoat is the only insulation on the tray. If you decide to bite the bullet, reconfigure the A/C lines and pay for the pump down & refill of refrigerant, and install the batteries upright and side by side in something like the Kilby battery tray, then the side posts are accessable.

The top post only variety is the "Group 34" or D34 size. The top post and side post is the "Group 34/78" or D34/78 size.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
duckman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm running the NGT Extreme from CARQUEST. According to the owner of the parts house it's supposed to be comparable to the Diehard Platinum Series Batteries. No problems and I picked it up for about $150.00.
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #21
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
Holy **** you are out there.

Ive always gone with diehard in my cars but I decided to give a Duracell AGM a try. a regular duracell came in the caddy when I got it from 2005 so I figure it must be alright. I'll report back in 5 years
I just returned a 1yr old Duracell. It failed to start my jeep twice. I was drawn to it by the 3yr replacement warranty, and the $100 price tag.
Hopefully the second one holds up better.
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #22
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I stopped in at Farm and Fleet today. The Duration Extreme AGM group 34 was 115 onsale this week. I might pick one up as the DDs is at least 5 years old. Seemed like a good deal. Anyone have any experience with these?

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
I stopped in at Farm and Fleet today. The Duration Extreme AGM group 34 was 115 onsale this week. I might pick one up as the DDs is at least 5 years old. Seemed like a good deal. Anyone have any experience with these?

Ron
I just got one for that deal. I did a good bit of research and it seems to have a good rep. It's a rebranded deka intimidator and is made in the u.s unlike optima trash.
Id do it for $115
|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #24
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I seem to be bucking the trend, but yesterday I got a replacement Yellow Top. The first Red Top I had lasted 8 years, then I replaced that with a Yellow in 2/05, and that one lasted 8+ years until this weekend. To me, they just work and last.
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I seem to be bucking the trend, but yesterday I got a replacement Yellow Top. The first Red Top I had lasted 8 years, then I replaced that with a Yellow in 2/05, and that one lasted 8+ years until this weekend. To me, they just work and last.
Not really "bucking the trend", let us know how long the new one you bought lasts. The decline in Optima's quality has only been in last 3 or 4 years. If the last one you bought was on 05 then it's not surprising it lasted 8 years.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Not really "bucking the trend", let us know how long the new one you bought lasts. The decline in Optima's quality has only been in last 3 or 4 years. If the last one you bought was on 05 then it's not surprising it lasted 8 years.
I never tell my Jeep about that stuff, new company owners and such, so it will just use it for 8 years again. It's like when I take the winch cover off at the head of a trail so the rocks know I mean business and let me pass.
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i talk to mine, we help each other get through whatever is getting worked on or wherever we travel
eduardostewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #28
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

last time i didnt talk things through with my teammate and just tried to get to the finish line i got married, so i try to do things smarter now
eduardostewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #29
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
That fits with my experience. I have two Optima Yellowtops in service since 2004. I have cleaned the terminals twice in 9 years, and every once in a while I throw the switch to swap the two batteries between Jeep and auxilliary loads to equalize wear.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.