Optima Yellow vs DieHard Platinum - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Optima Yellow vs DieHard Platinum

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 03-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Optima Yellow vs DieHard Platinum

did the usual googling and found a ton of info, but from about 2-5 years old. I'd like to see what people are saying currently. Myself, I'm leaning towards the DH Platinum.

Also, should i get the version with sideposts or not?

planning a new battery purchase before getting a winch...

eduardostewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Diehard P4 /close thread
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep go for the Diehard Platinum P4 which includes side posts useful for a winch. In my strictly personal opinion, Optima's quality and reputation has taken a massive nose dive since they were bought by Johnson Controls who as a cost cutting measure moved all of their manufacturing from the U.S. down to Mexico.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
LilyBayXJ
Wheels With Moose

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Love my Diehard Platinum.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
tlb113
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bought the Diehard Plat P1. I believe that is the one without the side posts. I love it!

I will tell you I never tried the Optimas. But anything beats the Neverstart battery that was in my TJ since I bought it.
tlb113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys, ive heard something of that extent about optima too as in quality going downhill. when i was told to compare the dh i eas blown away that good ol sears would have an awesome battery.

so basically, get the proper size group battery then? theres no tricks of the trade of getting something different?

lastly, i can google it of course, but is there a legit reason for getting the one with sideposts, or is that just more for a clean looking hookups?
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
tlb113
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty sure its just to keep wires looking clean. I was gonna get it, but my local Sears didn't have it so I got the P1.
tlb113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardostewart View Post
thanks guys, ive heard something of that extent about optima too as in quality going downhill. when i was told to compare the dh i eas blown away that good ol sears would have an awesome battery.

so basically, get the proper size group battery then? theres no tricks of the trade of getting something different?

lastly, i can google it of course, but is there a legit reason for getting the one with sideposts, or is that just more for a clean looking hookups?
Sears smart enough to subcontract the Platinum to somebody who knows what they are doing.

There are people who jam oversize batteries in, but for most really not necessary.

By the time you hook up a winch, auxiliary lights, CB, etc. it starts getting nice to have the side posts (until you decide to do an auxiliary fuse block for a lot of that).
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

awesome, i think the only thing else i can think of is that the one with the sideposts had bad reviews when they first came out with it but the comments seem to be that they corrected the problem by now... any input on that?
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Another vote for the Diehard platinum. Replaced my yellow top with one three weeks ago. That was the second Optima in 2 1/2 years. The red top in my old cj lasted like 12 years and is still in it 2 years after I sold it. And get the double posts, they didn't have one when I needed mine so I wound up with a single post

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I too say DH plat. I went without the side posts as I bought special battery clamps for my winch and future light additions.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
lakeobum
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I own a small Hometown Sears store, and although we do not stock batteries, I can tell you for sure the Diehard is the way I will go. The customer feedback on them is always outstanding When people come in looking for them they tell me great things about their experience in other vehicles.
I only wish I didn't have to drive an hour to get one, sounds like a great road trip when the top comes off though.
lakeobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeobum View Post
I own a small Hometown Sears store, and although we do not stock batteries, I can tell you for sure the Diehard is the way I will go. The customer feedback on them is always outstanding When people come in looking for them they tell me great things about their experience in other vehicles.
I only wish I didn't have to drive an hour to get one, sounds like a great road trip when the top comes off though.
Holy **** you are out there.

Ive always gone with diehard in my cars but I decided to give a Duracell AGM a try. a regular duracell came in the caddy when I got it from 2005 so I figure it must be alright. I'll report back in 5 years
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardostewart View Post
awesome, i think the only thing else i can think of is that the one with the sideposts had bad reviews when they first came out with it but the comments seem to be that they corrected the problem by now... any input on that?
I've had the Diehard Platinum P4 in both of my TJs with my winches connected to the side posts without problem. The Optima Yellow Top side posts aren't up to a winch but the Platinum P4's are.

And the P4 is a Group 34 battery which is the exact size battery the factory installed so you wouldn't be changing the battery size by going with the P4.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 02:56 AM   #15
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No more yellow tops for me, I blew through two in less than a year each.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.