opinion on mini spools?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > opinion on mini spools??

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-29-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
iwishihad1

opinion on mini spools??

hey everybody

well i just got a ford 8.8, and im beginning to build it up. ive got all the perches cut off, its been wire wheeled, so its ready for new perches, and paint. i want to lock it, and already have an aussie up front. problem is money is running short, and ive got some stuff coming up that will be expensive, but i also want the 8.8 to be in for some trips im taking this summer. yes it will put some wear on tires. but i work about 1 mile from my house, and the farthest trip i take on a weekly basis is to my girlfriends house which is about 10 miles away. so would the mini spool be a bad idea to have in for 2-3 months, before i go off to college.

iwishihad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I live 2 miles from work so I am going to do the same thing. I found a mini spool for around $85 at Jegs. I figure for $85 I can take a shot with it for a while and if I don't like it I can sell it to someone else. I have driven vehicles with lunchbox lockers in the rear and I know I don't want one of those.
1998zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
MattBMiller
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just put a mini spool in my 8.8". Haven't driven the Jeep yet...it's still just a rolling chassis.

Matt
MattBMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I run a mini spool in the 8.8 thats in my daily driver YJ. It chews on my tires, but it is the most predictable diff ever. The traction is awesome, there is no wondering if it is locked, it just goes. It's not for everybody, though... I am going to replace it at teh end of summer with the OX Locker, to match the OX in the front.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

guess lincoln locking it is out of the question ? i mean if your ditching the carrier when you do the selectable just weld it up right?? ..do you plan on going to a selectable ?.. Ive done mini spool for a buddy, welded diffs for a buncha buddies 8.8s, I'm actually running a really tight setup traclock in mine as a temporary till i can save for selectable but in all honesty i love it and it works good for the terrain, and im welded up front so maybe i dont notice any diffrence....that and so many other more pressing issues have come up on the jeep so moneys tight over here too.. not sure a lim slip would work for you if its mostly rocks you find yourself in, they work good in wet, snow, sand mud but serious crawlin will show how limited it is... just tossin out some food for thought.
Unread 09-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Since it was 5 years ago, I think he probably has it figured out.
Unread 09-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

whoa !! I was sleepin at the switch there ! . why the heck did i... oh well

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.