Offroad Recovery Safety Basics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Offroad Recovery Safety Basics

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
SASQUATCH
2007 JK Wrangler 

Offroad Recovery Safety Basics Tips Needed

I volunteered at my work to assist our "off the job safety" committee and wanted to do a topic on offroad vehicle recovery safety. There are a few Jeeps here at work, some wheel, most don't. But even people cruising our many beaches on the Gulf Coast in cars sometimes get stuck and the things I've seen just make you cringe.

I'd love some safety feedback tips if anyone's open. I thought I'd cover vehicle recovery using straps and then maybe some more advanced safety involving using winches. The basics I know are of course watching pinch points, using a blanket or something laid over the winch line (middle) of the pull, having everyone out of the way, inspecting for frayed syn line, or stainless rope, etc.

Appreciate any feedback.

Last edited by SASQUATCH; 04-08-2009 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: b
SASQUATCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
SASQUATCH
2007 JK Wrangler 

29 views and no suggestions? lol, c'mon guys why even open the thread

Someone has to have some good experience and tips...
Unread 04-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
prairefire

I'm waiting for advise too.
Unread 04-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Carry a tree saver if you have a winch, then you don't have to hook the line to itself, and your line isn't tearing the tree, and itself, apart. The blanket is a good idea, and I've heard of winch lines coming through the front windshield, so if you're inside watch yourself...
Also if you get stuck in sand, as you said on a beach, there's often nothing to winch to, sometimes simply airing down your tires can get you free, I've seen that work.
If that doesn't work-
1. start digging
2. bury your spare with the winch wrapped around it.

You can look up all kinds of ways to save yourself out there, www.youtube.com search winch, you'll learn what to do and what not to do pretty quick.
Unread 04-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
SASQUATCH
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxrules39 View Post
Carry a tree saver if you have a winch, then you don't have to hook the line to itself, and your line isn't tearing the tree, and itself, apart. The blanket is a good idea, and I've heard of winch lines coming through the front windshield, so if you're inside watch yourself...
Also if you get stuck in sand, as you said on a beach, there's often nothing to winch to, sometimes simply airing down your tires can get you free, I've seen that work.
If that doesn't work-
1. start digging
2. bury your spare with the winch wrapped around it.

You can look up all kinds of ways to save yourself out there, www.youtube.com search winch, you'll learn what to do and what not to do pretty quick.

Thanks good stuff, I have a lot of info/experience being my 4th Jeep with the hardcore offroad recovery and related safety. I guess I should have stated "basic" is what I'm looking for really, some real simple things for the folks here at work, nobody here except myself and one other Jeeper would ever use the advance stuff while we're offroading when needed. Most of it boils down to common sense I know but around here in the Gulf I've seen plenty of stuck cars (even) with people standing all around while somebody is yanking them with a chain .

thanks again guys, keep the tips coming.
Unread 04-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Keep your hands at least one foot away from the roller fairlead when winding your cable back on to the spool.
If your hands are too close, you could get hurt very easily.
Wind your cable back onto the spool neatly and tight. You don't want slack on the spool.
Wear heavy gloves when working with a winch cable/rope.

Nobody stands between the anchor point and the winch, or the winch and the other Jeep being pulled out. If the cable lets go, it will find you and hurt you.

Put a floor mat, towel, jacket, or winchsaver on the cable a few feet from the anchor point or Jeep being pulled. If the cable let's go, the item on the cable will slow it down and keep it from whipping back.

Do not use a Tug 'em Strap with a winch. Do not use a chain with a winch except as a choker. Do not use rope with a winch unless it's a winch rope.
Use a tree strap.

Do not hook the winch cable hook to the winch cable as a choke.

Eat at least three tacos a day.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
wranglerkid95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

always clean straps after using them to get mud and grit and dirt out. And always inspect for rips and damage.
wranglerkid95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
wranglerkid95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and when winching make sure to weight the line every few feet to take recoil out incase of a break.
wranglerkid95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Show them the differnce between a tow strap, recovery strap and how to use each correctly. Show them how to use a chain safely. Show them how to get themselves out with just a jack and floor mats or wood/rocks.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
Diehard

2004 WJ 

Go to Offroaders.com Lots of info there on recovery.
2004 GC Spec. Edit. V8 4x4 Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, 4" lift, RE shocks, adj. JKS CAs all around, 265/75/16, 10 ply., Maxxis Bighorns, ProtoFab winch bumper, Vortex 10,000 lb. winch, dual OME steering stabilizer, Rockyroad rockrails, skids, JKS Discos. Addco front & rear sway bar, & Aussie locker. Next year? : Rear bumper with tire carrier.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #11
ThrillSeeker
1998 ZJ 

Don't off road alone if possible... even getting stuck in the sand if there are two vehicles you should be able to get your self free with help from the other vehicle...

Oh yeah and practice using your winch...
Unread 04-12-2009, 02:22 AM   #12
Duck Dodgers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Somewhere between the Port of Indecision and South of Disorder
Here try these links --->www.offroaders.com

Warn Winching Techniques

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.