Off-Road in MD? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Off-Road in MD?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-03-2003, 08:49 AM   #1
WranglerGal

Off-Road in MD?

Hey there! I just got my first Jeep ('03 Sport) about a month or so back and I'm loving it! Problem: I live in the DC area and have no idea where I can go to get off the asphalt! My poor baby is just dying to get muddy!! Please help.
Thanks

WranglerGal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2003, 09:25 AM   #2
WranglerGal

Since I've never done any "real" off-roading before, can you recommend any trails that would be better for me (or, better yet, ones I should definitely avoid until I know what I am doing)?
Unread 06-03-2003, 09:53 AM   #3
WranglerGal

Ok, I'm an idiot, BUT... You said to disconnect my front sway bar links... why? how?
Unread 06-03-2003, 11:23 AM   #4
foreverjeepin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by WranglerGal
Ok, I'm an idiot, BUT... You said to disconnect my front sway bar links... why? how?
For the swaybar disco's here ya go. Look at this photo, just in front of the coil springs you will see the silver rod with the release pin through it. This is the front swaybar connect. These are the quick disconnect kind (aftermarket). Your jeep being new will have small "fixed" one's. If you were to disconnect them, you'd need tools.
Have you look at getting in with any local Jeep clubs? Being new to the jeep scene, this would help you to understand your jeep and learn where to go off-roading. In my opinion, if your just checking out some trails in a new stock TJ, there is really no need to disconnect the front swaybars.

This is what the front will do with the swaybars disconnected with a taller suspension lift. As one tire goes up, it allows it to go up further into the wheelwell, and the opposite tire to drop much further down.....Hope this helps.......JP

"LEAD TODAY OR BE LOST TOMORROW"
foreverjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2003, 11:29 AM   #5
WranglerGal

Thanks so much!
So, how big of a deal would it be to replace my "fixed" connects with a pin?
Good idea about the Jeep clubs... I'll have to look around. If anyone knows of any in the area, please let me know.
Unread 06-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #6
Anoyher

Come on over to NoVAJeepers.com!

We'd love to see you on the trails!

Northern Virginia Jeepers http://www.NoVAJeepers.com

Pics at http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290468471

Good place to buy stuff: Bob Supplee, 405-799-8977
Anoyher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2003, 07:35 AM   #7
Grady

Quote:
Originally posted by foreverjeepin

Hey foreverjeepin, I see you got a camera finally! Im stuck in Japan for a few months without my Jeep and I miss it so much along with wheeling at the tank farm/channel 10. Keep an eye out on it for me will ya? You know where I live.

Oh yeah, in Maryland there is
Maryland Creepers

I am part of their club even though I never met or wheeled with any of them. But I'm from Annapolis so they let me join.

What doesn't kill you...
just hurts like hell.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #3
USN JEEP HULL #11
'02 TJ
'04 Grand Cherokee

Last edited by Grady; 06-05-2003 at 06:42 AM..
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2003, 08:19 AM   #8
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Re: Off-Road in MD?

Quote:
Originally posted by WranglerGal
My poor baby is just dying to get muddy!! Please help.
Thanks
So whatcha doin' this weekend?
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2003, 08:43 AM   #9
GoTopless

do you disconnect your sway bars only when you guys 4-wheel or all the time?

[B][SIZE=4][URL=http://groups.myspace.com/jeepforumcom][COLOR=white]Jeepforum on MYSPACE[/COLOR] [/URL] [/SIZE] [/B]
GoTopless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2003, 01:12 PM   #10
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I know you asked about sway bars, but I removed my track bar in the rear completely, but leave my front disco's on on the road. My springs and shocks are pretty soft and it makes for an interesting ride if I keep them discoed. . .
Unread 06-04-2003, 10:19 PM   #11
bonz504

Hey, leave an email adress if you want to drivin...me and a few of my friends go quite often near annapolis....
bonz504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2003, 05:44 PM   #12
jedi 4x4

Hello, I'm new to this forum but Ive been reading it and jeepin for about years, I guess I've never done any serious offroading, just crazy stuff locally in fields, mud pits, dirt roads, and the occassional fire road. I contacted the Dept. of Natural Resources in MD a while back and they sent me a huge packet of all these cool trails you can (legally) go offroading, mostly out in Western MD. I'm still trying to hit up Paragon this summer to see what the jeepster can do. I'm trying to start up a club locally so we can take these sort of trips so I want to start getting people together in the area, I know about 3-4 jeeps here in the Baltimore area that I have to talk to. Good luck and let me know if youre interested
- Doc Brown, Back to the Future[/B]
jedi 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2003, 07:42 PM   #13
UrbanCrwlr

dude, go to www.marylandcreepers.com, its got everything you need, and some, most everybody in that club is in central maryland, and couple from VA and PA, I myself am from DC, they go on alot of runs and are always gettin togethere to work on someones jeep or just hang out and drink brewskis, hope to see you there.......MIKE
UrbanCrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2003, 07:41 AM   #14
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by jedi 4x4
I contacted the Dept. of Natural Resources in MD a while back and they sent me a huge packet of all these cool trails you can (legally) go offroading, mostly out in Western MD.
Western Md trails are easily traversable in a 2wd Honda Accord. Your best bet is to hit Paragon for some real trailriding. You may also want to look into Michaux State Forest just over the border in Pa.

We have a few trips heading that way next month. Come along for a ride.
Unread 06-06-2003, 12:56 PM   #15
jedi 4x4

Right on. I'll definately have to check it out, my jeep is just starting to break free from being stock and I'm letting go of trying to keep the paint shinny now that it has some scratches. I still miss my '90 YJ, that thing was a tank, but it was killing me in repairs. But as for the TJ, I think I am ready to start seeing what it can do. You'll be hearing from me soon.
- Doc Brown, Back to the Future[/B]
jedi 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.