Off-Road Lights. Are they worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Off-Road Lights. Are they worth it?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
BCMuldoon
2008 JK Wrangler 

Off-Road Lights. Are they worth it?

This may seem like a very basic question, but I'm genuinely wondering how i can justify mounting some decent off-road lights. I think they look pretty cool and obviously if you're going to be doing serious off-roading at night its a no brainer. But how often do those of you that have them actually use them? What do you find yourself using them for most often, bad weather? off-road? lighting up a pick-up ball game that runs late? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are. I would love to get some, but i like to justify it to myself as more than just...well that would be cool.

BCMuldoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not worth it. Not even a little bit.
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
haloperformance
1991 XJ Cherokee 

They look cool. They are standard for "completing the look." But if you're not wheeling at night, not really worth it. Im in NJ where legal wheeling is limited, so i go to Rausch Creek and Paragon way back. Most off road parks close at dusk. A set of Hellas or Daylighters aren't bad for use as fog lights o the like. If you have a place for hunting or fishing at night it might be worth it for you, or if you or on a lot of logging trails or dirt roads. Bt they aren't terribly practical.
1991 XJ: 35"s, 4:56s 5.5"LA lift, stretched, locked, skids, caged, high steer, spray paint. I think it was stock at one point.
<-1978 CJ5 parts - click on my classified
haloperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Agar426
1974 CJ6 

I've got a pair of IPF driving lights that are wired into my high beams, so I use them all the time. They help as much on road as they do off road. Then again, here in New Mexico, we have a lot of space between towns, so there are a lot of chances to use the lights.
Agar426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bought cheap harbor freight driving lights. I love them cause they are flood lights and that's all I need I got them flush mounted in my bumpers. I like the flood cause all I need to see is what's right there in front of me. They give me a wide spread of light
1murderedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
printingray

I've installed polycarbonate lights in roof and front bumper grill. I don't know the brand name exactly as I picket them up from my friend's garage. They look pretty cool and I change their color by adding filters. Mostly use yellow during foggy season. These are the best of best.
Unread 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'm in central NJ so there aren't many places for me to go at night like mentioned above. But I do have a friend with a farm that we messed around out at night some times. They come in handy there when the dirtbikes don't have headlights. I also wired mine into my high beams so I use them every chance I get
02libbyfirstcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've gone on a few night runs, and I've found that the offroad lights (I have two all-terrain patterned lights in place of the Rubi fog lights) were plenty bright enough, in fact I may not want a whole lot brighter because I'd probably be blinding the vehicle on the trail in front of me.

If I planned on doing alot more offroading at night, I wouldn't get any more driving lights, headlights plus an additional set of all-terrain lights that can be pointed outwards a bit if needed, seem to be plenty. However, I'd probably get just a few small lights to put on the frame or somewhere under the vehicle, so I can get a better look at what my tires are doing. And maybe get one somewhat bright flood light to hang off the back of the vehicle, to get a better look at what's behind me when I have to get out the vehicle to put a strap on someone elses vehicle to give them a tug.
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

My thoughts are that if you off road at night then a good set of lights are the way to go. HIDs and some LED light bars, though not necessary, are the ultimate but quite pricey. You donít need to wheel often at night to justify off road lights either, when you need them they are there, thatís all that counts.
Unread 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You're reading too many catalogs. Leave your wallet in your pocket.
Unread 10-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
YjJeeper94
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have some daylighter spot lights on my jeep. I got a deal on Craigslist.
I hardly ever use them, they would blind anyone else on the road. I use them sometimes at my house just driving through fields or the woods, but I would be just fine with my high beams.
YjJeeper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bumper mounted are fine. I can't stand the windshield mounted lights, they may look 'cool' but once you follow someone all you can see is a dust cloud. If I wheeled at night I would run some rock lights, rather see what is under me then what is way ahead.

Unread 10-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
You're reading too many catalogs. Leave your wallet in your pocket.
This^^
Not sure where you wheel but anything but bumper lights, where we wheel would be destoyed in one wheeling trip.
Unread 10-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Mfletch32

It really depends on where you live and where you wheel. I'm in Tahoe and I have 4 bumper and grille guard mounted 150 watt lights that I use often in the mountains and for night off roading. If you prefer night off roadin like me you really need them in my opinion. In addition to your headlights they really help see everything around you
Mfletch32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
BCMuldoon
2008 JK Wrangler 

thanks for all the input everyone! Im going to hold off for now on buying anything as night wheeling really isnt something i plan on doing anytime soon.
BCMuldoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.