JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   Off-Road Lights. Are they worth it? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/off-road-lights-they-worth-1423809/)

BCMuldoon 10-03-2012 05:40 PM

Off-Road Lights. Are they worth it?

This may seem like a very basic question, but I'm genuinely wondering how i can justify mounting some decent off-road lights. I think they look pretty cool and obviously if you're going to be doing serious off-roading at night its a no brainer. But how often do those of you that have them actually use them? What do you find yourself using them for most often, bad weather? off-road? lighting up a pick-up ball game that runs late? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are. I would love to get some, but i like to justify it to myself as more than just...well that would be cool.

88hatchy 10-03-2012 07:52 PM

Not worth it. Not even a little bit.

haloperformance 10-03-2012 08:26 PM

They look cool. They are standard for "completing the look." But if you're not wheeling at night, not really worth it. Im in NJ where legal wheeling is limited, so i go to Rausch Creek and Paragon way back. Most off road parks close at dusk. A set of Hellas or Daylighters aren't bad for use as fog lights o the like. If you have a place for hunting or fishing at night it might be worth it for you, or if you or on a lot of logging trails or dirt roads. Bt they aren't terribly practical.

Agar426 10-04-2012 09:13 AM

I've got a pair of IPF driving lights that are wired into my high beams, so I use them all the time. They help as much on road as they do off road. Then again, here in New Mexico, we have a lot of space between towns, so there are a lot of chances to use the lights.

1murderedjeep 10-04-2012 09:20 AM

I bought cheap harbor freight driving lights. I love them cause they are flood lights and that's all I need I got them flush mounted in my bumpers. I like the flood cause all I need to see is what's right there in front of me. They give me a wide spread of light

printingray 10-04-2012 10:42 AM

I've installed polycarbonate lights in roof and front bumper grill. I don't know the brand name exactly as I picket them up from my friend's garage. They look pretty cool and I change their color by adding filters. Mostly use yellow during foggy season. These are the best of best.

02libbyfirstcar 10-04-2012 06:13 PM

I'm in central NJ so there aren't many places for me to go at night like mentioned above. But I do have a friend with a farm that we messed around out at night some times. They come in handy there when the dirtbikes don't have headlights. I also wired mine into my high beams so I use them every chance I get

danielbuck 10-04-2012 07:15 PM

I've gone on a few night runs, and I've found that the offroad lights (I have two all-terrain patterned lights in place of the Rubi fog lights) were plenty bright enough, in fact I may not want a whole lot brighter because I'd probably be blinding the vehicle on the trail in front of me.

If I planned on doing alot more offroading at night, I wouldn't get any more driving lights, headlights plus an additional set of all-terrain lights that can be pointed outwards a bit if needed, seem to be plenty. However, I'd probably get just a few small lights to put on the frame or somewhere under the vehicle, so I can get a better look at what my tires are doing. And maybe get one somewhat bright flood light to hang off the back of the vehicle, to get a better look at what's behind me when I have to get out the vehicle to put a strap on someone elses vehicle to give them a tug.

1222 10-04-2012 08:02 PM

My thoughts are that if you off road at night then a good set of lights are the way to go. HIDs and some LED light bars, though not necessary, are the ultimate but quite pricey. You donít need to wheel often at night to justify off road lights either, when you need them they are there, thatís all that counts.
:cheers2:

JeeperDon 10-05-2012 04:27 PM

You're reading too many catalogs. Leave your wallet in your pocket.

YjJeeper94 10-05-2012 05:01 PM

I have some daylighter spot lights on my jeep. I got a deal on Craigslist.
I hardly ever use them, they would blind anyone else on the road. I use them sometimes at my house just driving through fields or the woods, but I would be just fine with my high beams.

unlblkrubi 10-06-2012 07:47 AM

Bumper mounted are fine. I can't stand the windshield mounted lights, they may look 'cool' but once you follow someone all you can see is a dust cloud. If I wheeled at night I would run some rock lights, rather see what is under me then what is way ahead.

TSEJEEPERS 10-06-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeperDon (Post 14260254)
You're reading too many catalogs. Leave your wallet in your pocket.

This^^
Not sure where you wheel but anything but bumper lights, where we wheel would be destoyed in one wheeling trip.

Mfletch32 10-06-2012 10:25 AM

It really depends on where you live and where you wheel. I'm in Tahoe and I have 4 bumper and grille guard mounted 150 watt lights that I use often in the mountains and for night off roading. If you prefer night off roadin like me you really need them in my opinion. In addition to your headlights they really help see everything around you

BCMuldoon 10-06-2012 03:41 PM

thanks for all the input everyone! Im going to hold off for now on buying anything as night wheeling really isnt something i plan on doing anytime soon.

The time now is 12:55 AM.