O.D GREEN PAINT-where to find it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > O.D GREEN PAINT-where to find it?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
SOLOLUCKY
1989 YJ Wrangler 

O.D GREEN PAINT-where to find it?

I know I saw several pics of guys with there Jeeps painted Olive Drab (army green) .
I just started doing the body work and such on mine with all intentions of doing it O.D. but am not having much luck finding it.
Just wondering where you guys got your paint.

I have ready many threads of taking Rustoleum, thinning it, mixing in a bit of hardener, and shooting it. This is my goal but wondering if this is infact how they did theres.

If any O.D. Jeep drivers read this please chime in.

Thanks

SOLOLUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY View Post
I know I saw several pics of guys with there Jeeps painted Olive Drab (army green) .
I just started doing the body work and such on mine with all intentions of doing it O.D. but am not having much luck finding it.
Just wondering where you guys got your paint.

I have ready many threads of taking Rustoleum, thinning it, mixing in a bit of hardener, and shooting it. This is my goal but wondering if this is infact how they did theres.

If any O.D. Jeep drivers read this please chime in.

Thanks
Go to a automotive paint store and ask. They can mix it for you.

I have never used hardener in Rusto, but I have heard it works well. I don't think I have ever seen rusto in OD green though.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
ExpeditionXJ

www.armyjeepparts.com

Gillespie Coatings OD... George carries several color shades for you to choose from. Heres mine.

ExpeditionXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
SOLOLUCKY
1989 YJ Wrangler 

THANKS for the link...that site is great! for reference as well as for general links and info.
Unread 07-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
SOLOLUCKY
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some pics of my paint job. Mixed up with Rustoleum and auto hardener. I used satin hunter green, flat black and a touch of silver

http://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p...EPBODYSIDE.jpg

http://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=JEEPGUN1.jpg

http://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p...encilfront.jpg

not sure how to go "no-click" ...maybe someone will convert them for me.

Last edited by SOLOLUCKY; 07-14-2008 at 01:07 PM..
Unread 07-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Hydro
2000 TJ Wrangler 

here ya go

Officially driving the Jason Ellis Bandwagon

Last edited by Hydro; 07-15-2008 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: messed up the no clicky
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
tazzzdvil
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I especially like the repro weapon How far of an after thought was the USA and do you remember your ratios to get that close to OD green?
tazzzdvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 05:49 AM   #8
SOLOLUCKY
1989 YJ Wrangler 

my ratios for that color was (all rustoleum) 8 parts satin hunter green, 4 parts flat black, 2 parts silver. then thinned 40% with acetone and added the perscribed amount of auto paint hardener.
I logged the formula on the owners manual should i ever hafta touch up a panel. I painted the jeep about a month ago and it is holding up as expected.

The USA stenciling was a slight after thought after researching pics of actual military jeeps. I didn't want to 'overstencil" it. which would be real easy. With such things as air pressure listed at each tire, the word "fuel" at the gas cap, etc. What i will be adding is the company/batallion bumper numbers though. I am using the bumper data of the company my dad was in.
Unread 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
mtcook01

ExpeditionXJ Help with color

ExpeditionXJ, I realize this is an old thread but, I love that color on the Cherokee and had a quick question. What color code is that from Gillespie? Is that 24087 or AJPWWII? Also did you use any reducer when applying it. Thanks
mtcook01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
mtcook01

Nevermind. I see that from another thread that you used the AJP WWII. Jeep looks great!
mtcook01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.