NIGHT driving in SNOW a major PROBLEM - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > NIGHT driving in SNOW a major PROBLEM

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 02-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Blue_Bucket
1998 TJ Wrangler 

NIGHT driving in SNOW a major PROBLEM

Long time member, first post, hope you can help me with a lighting issue.

I'm often driving at night, it's often snowing hard, and the Wrangler TJ headlights light up the falling snow in a big way, so much that it's hard to concentrate on the road (no high beams, just regular halogen headlights, aimed correctly.) Looks like this:

However, with my Hella fog lamps ON and headlight OFF, it's so much better! I can see the road and the light reflecting off falling snow isn't blinding. Probably because my fog lamps are mounted lower (bumper) and have a different pattern--more horizontal spread. Problem with that is if I turn my headlights off, cars behind me won't see my tail lights. which is also illeagal. So I have to have both headlights and fog lamps on, and strain my eyes to see a glimmer of road through the whiteout.

What do I do?
alter or replace the headlights so the beam isn't so difused, or
install auxiliary driving lights, activated by an independent switch, that will also activate my tail lights

Other suggestions?

http://2damnfunny.com/wp-content/upl...magination.jpg

Blue_Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rewire the fog lamp switch to work independent of the headlight switch, and then on snowy nights run the running lights/taillights (headlights off) and fog lamps.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Might consider getting some of those amber glasses, they sometimes help with visibility as well.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

This is exactly why they make fog lights and also why good lighting has such a sharp cut-off. Why won't your tail lights be on if your parking lights and fogs are on? I'm confused.
'88 YJ
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Johnicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I know in my LJ, I can turn on the parking lights and pull on the knob and just the fog lights and driving lights come on...I do this mostly on the backroads when it is foggy as it reduces the glare. I'm not sure if every vehicle can do this though.
Johnicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wranglers have a 3 position light switch. Off, parking, and on, for the headlights. With the parking lights on, you can pull the column out and the fogs will come on as well if they're wired to the factory fogs. But since you said Hella I'm guessing they're not. Just switch the lights to the middle position and your parking lights will come on.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
soonerdg
2003 WJ 

As other's have said, you should be able to turn on the running lights (parking lights) without turning on the headlights.
soonerdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i've been driving in snow like that for close to 25 years here in northern Mn. and working rotating shifts means lots of night driving. you have options: add driving lights as they put their light below bumper level and will have better distance than traditional fog lights, or rewire your fogs so you can use them independently.
for true fog lights, i prefer the yellow lenses or bulbs as i get a clearer picture with less glare compared to clear. also, fog lights don't have the distance of neither your regular headlights nor driving lights.
in your situation, it would be easier, imho, to get some driving (also called cornering) lights and wire them independently then just use them with your light switch in the center position as has been stated already.
Unread 02-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Get some low mounted amber lights. I replaced my stock fogs with PIAA LED fogs http://www.piaa.com/store/p/188-LP-5...Light-Kit.aspx and put a yellow film over them. Worked great in the snow. Maybe a low mounted Rigid bar would work ok, if it was aimed low enough.
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Get some low mounted amber lights. I replaced my stock fogs with PIAA LED fogs http://www.piaa.com/store/p/188-LP-5...Light-Kit.aspx and put a yellow film over them. Worked great in the snow. Maybe a low mounted Rigid bar would work ok, if it was aimed low enough.
I'd skip the Rigid bar. Those lights are pretty crappy lens wise. No cut off whatsoever. You're just throwing light in front of you. With the PIAA or other nice light you will see better due to less reflection upwards because of a nice clean cut-off in the beam pattern.
'88 YJ
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Check and see if you can find a pair of Procomp Fluted lens fog lights. if you find some replace the bulbs with a pair of PIAA Crystal Ion bulbs. They throw a VERY flat wide beam pattern. We don't do snow here, but when we get a case of sea fog it's nasty. this combo cuts right through, without blinding other drivers or you.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
RARECJ8

amber lamps mounted up front and as low as possible for the win!

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
IH8PEPL
Just like the plate says

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I shut the headlights off and run factory fog lights with blue filters in "white out" conditions. They look like a euro light to oncoming traffic and cut down on the amount of light being bounced back at you. Still lighting up the road so you can drive. They also cast a darker shadow than white or yellow light - so you can see snow drifts or changes in depth.

IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
Blue_Bucket
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfive View Post
This is exactly why they make fog lights and also why good lighting has such a sharp cut-off. Why won't your tail lights be on if your parking lights and fogs are on? I'm confused.
Ah yes, parking lights, forgot about those
Unread 02-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
Blue_Bucket
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhamshooter View Post
Wranglers have a 3 position light switch. Off, parking, and on, for the headlights. With the parking lights on, you can pull the column out and the fogs will come on as well if they're wired to the factory fogs. But since you said Hella I'm guessing they're not. Just switch the lights to the middle position and your parking lights will come on.
Awesome, thank you. Simplest solutions are the best.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.