New YJ Owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > New YJ Owner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 08-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
rahmansheikh
1991 YJ Wrangler 

New YJ Owner

Hey guys, My dad recently bought me a 91 YJ as an early Graduation/Birthday present. The person it was bought from already messed with it a bit. It has a 3" lift, XD rims, 33in tires and some other stuff I can't specifically remember. Currently it is at home in Austin, but I'm really looking forward to bringing it up to Lubbock to have a little fun on the backroads. I've been doing my best to read as much as I can on what I need to make sure my Jeep is off-road ready as well as general tips and stuff I should know before I go out on the back roads. Is there anything that isn't common knowledge that I should know and anything you guys recommend for me to add to my Jeep? Any help is appreciated since I'm sure you all know a lot more than I do on the subject matter!

Thanks in advance!

rahmansheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know how well your dad looked it over, but I'd want to start from a 100% known place. If it were my kid, I'd do the brakes, fluids, filters, swap out all 6 u-joints, belts, plugs & wires, and verify the 4wd vacuum system works as it should.

Is that 3" lift a body lift (bad), big spacers all around between tub and frame? ... Or a shackle lift (bad), with huge shackles under both bumpers (stock shackle length is 4" bolt to bolt)? ... Or is it a suspension lift (good), with well arched springs?
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
HobbesMRH

Beyond that when you go off road you'll want to have things like extra fuel, equipment to get yourself unstuck and make quick repairs, and little things like a first aid kit couldn't hurt. Do a quick google search to see what others take when they go off road.
HobbesMRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Never go out alone when going off-road no matter how far!!!!! That is the first rule the rest is somewhat a learning experience so keep reading and make sure you check that rig out on the streets for reliability and safety. If you wouldn't do it on the street don't do it on the trail you will break that thing.

Take it easy and work your way up to having some fun out there. These YJs are old and can be a little challenging to keep running on a budget. Tow trucks are expensive!!!

But really have some fun.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.