New Wrangler owner looking for pointers. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > New Wrangler owner looking for pointers.

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
kingjames2306
1993 YJ Wrangler 

New Wrangler owner looking for pointers.

Just bought a 93 yj 3 days ago (june 24th) and it's in pretty good condition. Bought it from my neighbor at work and it was his fiances. Has 99,950 on the body and a little over 3,000 on the engine and transmission. Came with a hard top, top soft, bikini top, half doors, hard doors, soft doors, and an extra set of chrome rims. The only rust the tub has is in front of the rear wheel wells on both sides and the rest of the body is around one hood latch on the fender and some on the windshield frame. Picked it up for 4,000 and i figured it was a good buy. Hope i wasn't wrong? Frame is in good shape also. My plan for the body is to have my neighbors at work who i bought the jeep from (welders) cut the rust out from the tub and replace it then have all the body parts sand blasted and powder coated on the outside. Never had anything powder coated but i've heard good things, anyone got any input? Also for the inside of the tub and underneath the tub I work at a bedliner coating company and i was going to premium line the inside and just regular line underneath. Has anyone had any problems with having the inside lined? As for the rest of the Jeep I was thinking run of the mill things. Skyjacker lift, exhaust, fender flares, maybe new front and rear bumpers, possibly sandblasting the frame and powder coating it. Any input would help on what to do, products not to buy, things I should and shoudn't do to it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Btw don't really see myself doing any extreme off roading it'll probably just be used as a daily driver, going camping, and eventually will start to store it in the winter time.

kingjames2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Congratulations on your new rig. Building it will be as fun as driving it. My advise: 1) take your time building it. It's not a race. With all the info available on the Internet and jeep forum, really study each thing you plan to do. After research, you may change your mind about something you'd like to do to it. Nothing more disappointing than spending time and money only to be unhappy with the outcome. 2) the higher the lift and bigger the tires, the better. NOT true. With each inch higher lift, and each inch in increased tire size, you have acceleration, braking and handling trade offs. At some point it becomes a bloated whale. I think 31'-33' tires with appropriate lift for xj, yj, and tj's are best for jeeps that spend most of their time on streets. 3) lastly, please, I beg you to never, ever come on forum and ask what you can do to get better gas mileage.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
dewey-ox
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do the Jeep Wrangler wave to another Wrangler you pass. If they don't wave back, they aren't a True Wrangler Enthusiast.
dewey-ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
kingjames2306
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Since i've bought the jeep i've had an estimate done on the repairs it needs for the rust on the body and was quoted at least $1,000!!! Crazy, I could probably cut it out and replace it myself but I want it professionally done. Anyways I'm currently looking into buying a used tub instead of paying a grand to get 2 small rust spots cut out and repaired. I've seen some on craigslist for around 400, haven't gotten the chance to check em out tho.
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjames2306 View Post
Since i've bought the jeep i've had an estimate done on the repairs it needs for the rust on the body and was quoted at least $1,000!!! Crazy, I could probably cut it out and replace it myself but I want it professionally done. Anyways I'm currently looking into buying a used tub instead of paying a grand to get 2 small rust spots cut out and repaired. I've seen some on craigslist for around 400, haven't gotten the chance to check em out tho.
That is a real good amount. If I was in your situation, I would repair the tub. A 400 $ tub is going to have a bit of problems. Welcome to jeeping.
Unread 08-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
kingjames2306
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah i'm still unsure of what to do about the tub. you think 1,000 is a good deal for repairing it?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.