new superwinch not working! epi9.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > new superwinch not working! epi9.0

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

new superwinch not working! epi9.0

So i finished to install my new superwinch epi9.0, besides the trouble that making the winch plate was, when everything was bolted and connected i took out about 3 feet of wire to test the winch and it worked nice for 1feet fwd and bckwd , then I realized that the clutch was in free, so i took some more wire, set it in engaged and voila! nothing... it makes a click and i could hear a hummmm like electric current, but no movement... what can I do??? anyone had this problem?

humbertotrevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
jeep_chinto

sounds like the winch is possably not getting enough power from the battery or that maby the auto break is set to tight..

are the power cables for the winch hooked directly to the battery? the other terminals on the winch with the red and black wire the nuts snug?

if you put it back into free spool does it move?
jeep_chinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yes, if i set it back into frees pool it does move, now the wires on the battery might be the problem, since in one terminal I have a lot of rust, and in the rush i didnt cleaned it, im going to clean it and see if it makes a difference, the problem is that it just began to rain so im gonna have to wait....
Unread 08-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

oooh and btw, I fogot to say that the jeep was on...
Unread 08-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

its working now!
i didnt realized that theere was something obstructing the clear connection, cleaned all the rust and its all ok... thank you!
Another questinon? how do you guys do to make the wire be nice and fit in the drum as the manual says? I tried on a slight slope, but the wire doesnt go all the way to the end, and since everywhere says not to use your hand to guide the wire, i dont know how to do it...
98 TJ, K&N cold air intake, gibson exhaust catback, Bushwacker 6" fender flares, 31" AT, 2.5 OME HD lift, JKS adj. front trackbar, JKS adj rear trackbar, JKS quicker disconnects, JKS 1" MML, JKS 1.25" BL Superwinch EPi9.0, Bestop Sunrider and sliders, PIAA, custom winch plate,
My buildup: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98-tj-norwegian-build-up-605518/
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
I'm going to beat gas prices Flintstones style!!
Unread 08-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Lud04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not to hi Jack this thread but I just installed my Superwinch and it works great but upon first testing the winch I noticed two kinks in the 125ft steel cable. It's a brand new winch and cable that I ordered from Rokmen.
Id that normal for a winch to have a few kinks in a brand new cable?

Should I call Rokmen or Superwinch?
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's w/ Kevlar, MT Classic II's
D44 rear axle w/ ARB, alloy shafts, 4.56 gears
Dana 30 with ARB, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and ujoints
Lud04X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud04X View Post
Id that normal for a winch to have a few kinks in a brand new cable?
I don't think so, I didn't noticed any kinks when I respooled my Superwinch cable.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

neither did I, it would be a good idea if you contact superwinch
98 TJ, K&N cold air intake, gibson exhaust catback, Bushwacker 6" fender flares, 31" AT, 2.5 OME HD lift, JKS adj. front trackbar, JKS adj rear trackbar, JKS quicker disconnects, JKS 1" MML, JKS 1.25" BL Superwinch EPi9.0, Bestop Sunrider and sliders, PIAA, custom winch plate,
My buildup: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605518
Quote:
Unread 08-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

OT: im really surprised no one has told you to sell it and buy a warn...
Just for laughs of coarse.
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
JustChillin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How is that Superwinch working out for you guys? I am looking for a winch, but cant decide between the Warn 8000 or the Superwinch.
JustChillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I havent really being in a situation to use the winch, I've used it to practice, and it works without a problem... and i like the looks if the integrated solenoid... AND it pulls 1000 lbs more than the W8000, besides it includes a roller fairlead and pulley block, so i actually think its a very good option...
My buildup: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605518
Quote:
Unread 09-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #12
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChillin View Post
How is that Superwinch working out for you guys? I am looking for a winch, but cant decide between the Warn 8000 or the Superwinch.
it works fantasticly, I even used mine partially submerged in mud when a hole was deeper then I thought. It also has loads of pulling power, and since I have a light Jeep, I usually have to end up tying myself off somewhere because the winch will usually just pull me forward rather then pulling out the stuck vehicle. It always works, and works fantasticly, having yet to let me down, just as good as any Warn I'd say considering the rave reviews it's getting.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
JustChillin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thats for the input. It looks comparable and I like the line speed on it. Oh yeah, free snatch block is what sold me on it.
JustChillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.