NEW Smittybilt xrc8 Winch - Check it Out! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > NEW Smittybilt xrc8 Winch - Check it Out!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #46
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Seems like a good winch, if I get a bumper built soon I may buy one.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.

Last edited by Holder350; 05-31-2009 at 12:46 PM..
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 09:27 PM   #47
WAD357
1989 XJ Cherokee 

mine was on my toyota for a little bit only issue Ive had is the free spool switch locking up a friend had the same issue.... Its goin on my jeep as soon as i got a bumper to put it on
1989 XJ White 3" 33x12.50's 8.8 4:10s locked
89 XJ blue 4.5" RC Lift on 33's sold
97 XJ STOCK sold
1993 XJ Lifted and rotted donor for 89 sold
1986 Notch H/C/I 4:10's the usual bs...
WAD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #48
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAD357 View Post
mine was on my toyota for a little bit only issue Ive had is the free spool switch locking up a friend had the same issue.... Its goin on my jeep as soon as i got a bumper to put it on
Wow, I thought I was alone. I've been in love with this winch for the most part. It has pulled like a champ every time I have had to use it, but after a few pulls the lever seems to be stuck in engaged mode. I have heard of another guy around here that said his had the same thing happen. I guess he called Smittybilt and they acknowledge it was a design issue and sent him a new gear box unit.

Keep in mind this is just what I heard through a friend, but I plan on calling Smittybilt and asking what they can do for me.

If it wasn't for this little issue I would give this thing 5 stars. I've had to extract myself from snow banks/ditches about 5 times now as well as pulled a friends YJ out of the snow. I also tried pulling a 1 ton Dodge diesel out but he was stuck too deep, all I did was drag my Jeep with my friends YJ hooked to me across the ground. The last 3 pulls were done with the switch locked up but everything still functioned great if a little slow powering out 80' of line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #49
Mikekrismac
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was jus curious... If I was 2 buy this winch would the rough country winch plate work well with a stock bumper and this winch??
Mikekrismac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #50
scothill
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just bought the XRC8 from winchdepot.com. $299.00 free shipping and a free winch cover. Best deal around.
scothill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #51
NorthBeaver
2010 JK Wrangler 

Chinese winches

I just bought a Recon winch from trunk and winch.
I did not know it was a chink rig. I am ashamed to say. Sure, it was cheap.
But, it was made by slaves in sweatshops in China.
Now, I know. I screwed up. It was the cheapest.
If we keep buying this chinese crap, there will be no jobs left in America and Canada.
Buy, foreign cheap crap?
Get a foreign job!
I ****** up, buying that winch.
My apogies.

Can those poor ****** ever go four wheelin?
NorthBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #52
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekrismac View Post
I was jus curious... If I was 2 buy this winch would the rough country winch plate work well with a stock bumper and this winch??
All of the commonly used winches with the lone exception of the Warn 8274 have the same mounting bolt pattern. So yes it will work with pretty much any mounting plate and stock bumper.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:07 AM   #53
TJRubicon06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Used my xrc8 yesterday to pull a stuck f250 diesel out of some super sticky mud.

That:

Came out of this:

Because of this winch:
Black Jeep Club member #95

Build Thread
1-20-13
Northridge4x4

Getting Astute
TJRubicon06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #54
tmntrc56
1995 ZJ 

Me and two fellow Jeepers have bought new 8000# ones through 4wheelparts. We've only used them a few times though. Judging by their performance so far, I believe they are just fine for smaller rides like Jeep's and stuff like that. We have ours mounted to ZJ's and they have gotten us through some pretty hairy situations. I just wouldn't try to over-do it like trying to winch out a big mudding rig or something way to big and heavy. Time will tell though. Good warranty and price.
tmntrc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #55
scabz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have an xrc 10 on my Tj and have nothing but GOOD things to say about it. I have used it for all kinds of things from stuck jeeps to a four door Cummins dually stuck to the doors in snow. Love it!!
I just installed a xrc 8 on my wife's new fj cruiser and found out the hard way that the solenoid box cannot be mounted with the connectors facing upward or it will cause the solenoids to short out and catch fire when it gets wet. Spoke to Smittybuilt and they are sending a new solenoid box at no charge. They have been great to deal with as far as warranty goes. I highly recommend the XRC series winches
scabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #56
liredneck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

All these guys with the buy american or go somewhere else stuf , I wonder what other kinds of cars their driving ? What kind of tv and computer their useing ? How about that phone your talking on ? That's all ok right ? Just don't dare spend your money on smitty ...... Spend twice as much on something that most of us don't need just for a name tag or a sticker . My jeep will go anywhere I want and it's loaded with smitty and other less expensive parts .... Rant off
Unread 05-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #57
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bought the new series wound xrc8 when they first came out. I used it a lot, and it worked great except it was slow, and hard to free spool out.

Then, it died last summer. Gave it to a friend. He likes to tinker on stuff and will try to get it going again for his XJ. Hopefully it is something simple, and I hear Smittybilt has pretty good customer service when it comes to these things. I just didn't want to mess with it.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #58
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liredneck View Post
All these guys with the buy american or go somewhere else stuf , I wonder what other kinds of cars their driving ? What kind of tv and computer their useing ? How about that phone your talking on ? That's all ok right ? Just don't dare spend your money on smitty ...... Spend twice as much on something that most of us don't need just for a name tag or a sticker . My jeep will go anywhere I want and it's loaded with smitty and other less expensive parts .... Rant off
That's cool. Your rant does give me some insight though, the next time I see you in need of some help on something, I'll be sure to refer you to someone local to where your winch was made. I hope you overcome the language barrier.

Out of curiosity though, with your whole "never buy anything for the name when something much cheaper and made overseas will do the same job" mentality, why aren't you driving a Samurai?
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #59
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liredneck View Post
All I can say is that I'm happy not all Americans share your attitude.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #60
liredneck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you kidding ? i would love a sammy! but i also love my jeep. And i dont always buy the ceapest, I just buy what i can afford for what i need . Would i like some full weld in comp cage or fancy bumpers with some laser cut logo? sure i would but i cant afford it, so i get what i need for a price i can live with. Sure i would love a big 4 door dually 4x4 deisel truck but i cant afford nor do i need it for my life so i went a 4 door 1500 4x4 its all i need plus i can still eat while paying for it. Its my same thinking with jeep parts , I dont need crazy stuff for cruising down to the lake and hitting a few trails here and there. I live on a budget so does that mean that i cant play? And im not a snob about what i got either , if thats all you can afford and it breaks on the trail? ill help you get it off and toss it on my trailer to get you home. And thanks for the heads up , i dont think i would need your help anyway as alot of the guys i run with have cheaper winches and i cant remember the last time there has ever been a problem getting help on a trail. so you pick and choose who you help and ill just keep having a good time out their, helpinbg Anyone no matter what they run .

We drive harleys here does that mean that you cant ride with us or were gonna tell you what you got is crap because you got a honda? No its about getting out their and having a good time , not about how much you can afford to spend.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.