NEW Smittybilt xrc8 Winch - Check it Out! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > NEW Smittybilt xrc8 Winch - Check it Out!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #16
mtngoht
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyGimp
I guess you are right. It's just a poser winch. I should just sit back like everyone else and continually post and bash a product based what other people have said, without having first hand experience.

I have already said that it is probably not comparable to a Warn, apparently nothing is. But maybe for the person that needs a winch and does not have a lot of money laying around, this could be a good option. We will never know however, if no one actually tries it out.

Strange how someone offers to actually spend their hard earned money to buy and test a product, while at the same time offering to write a review that is of actual first hand experience, and they just get put down by someone who thinks they are being funny by posting a smart *** comment. You, sir, need to grow up.
Did I say you were a poser? No. Was I being a smart ***? Yes. Just saying, if someone was going to pose, get the cheapest winch you can. I've seen poser Jeeps with Warns w/factory wrap.(unused)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyGimp
If it works for a couple times then breaks, o well. I'm only out $300 and I guess I know for sure that it is crap
Go ahead and get it, but don't on here when your out $300 or your rig is stuck.

Last edited by mtngoht; 06-06-2007 at 05:38 PM..
mtngoht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #17
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't worry about what people tell you. Get whatever winch you can afford. I know people that have been running Harbor Freight $299.00 winches for years without any problems. Good luck on your winch hunt.
Unread 07-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #18
red7

Hey did you ever end up getting this winch? I want to be a poser and am thinking of this one as well! Actually, I don't do much off roading but I do spend a lot of time driving on the beaches here in Mazatlan so I've never needed a winch but you just never know. If it fails to pull me out of the sand I don't think I'll die so I guess I can be crazy and risk buying a cheap winch (that I may or may not use much) rather than spending $1000 on the "cool guy's" winch.

BTW- when buying a winch do you have to look for a specific bumper? I'm looking at a shrockworks if that's not too overly poser.
red7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 03:34 AM   #19
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
And last a hell of a lot longer.
Ditto. I wore out my magnets twice already........
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #20
PGBronco10
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red7
when buying a winch do you have to look for a specific bumper? I'm looking at a shrockworks if that's not too overly poser.
Almost all "common" winches (the smittybuilt one, the warn M8000, 9000 whatever) have a 10″ x 4.5″ bolt pattern. most winch plates have the holes drilled for this setup so all you do is bolt that sucker on and you are ready to winch some stuff. you do have to make sure the bumper comes with a winch plate though. schrockworks has one built in - im waiting for mine to show up right now. good luck!!
PGBronco10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #21
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i thought it was a a "series wound permanaent magnet" motor like the cheaper mile mearkers?

if anyone can post information on the winch... like specific specs... please do.... useless opinions are just that: useless.
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #22
CHRRRIS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm interested in hearing some first hand experience as well...

Current - '98 Black Z28 with some goodies
Previous - '97 Gun Metal Blue TJ

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club
www.ExtremeJeepClub.com
CHRRRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 07:51 AM   #23
xjinga
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Installed one yesterday

Installed mine yesterday, it seems decent enough for what I would need a winch for. It was somewhat of a tight fit on my OR-Fab bumper and I had to modify the control box mount.

One thing that seemed odd to me, there is arrow shaped decal that says "Spool wire rope onto drum in this direction".....Out of the box, the cable is wound just the opposite.

Line speed in is noticeably faster than line speed out with the cable wound as it is.....does this sound right to you winch guru's?, or should the directional line speed be just the opposite? Maybe they placed the decal on backwards.

After I got it hooked up, it seems to work fine and I pulled the XJ across the yard to seat the cable nice and tight.

xjinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #24
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjinga
Installed mine yesterday, it seems decent enough for what I would need a winch for. It was somewhat of a tight fit on my OR-Fab bumper and I had to modify the control box mount.

One thing that seemed odd to me, there is arrow shaped decal that says "Spool wire rope onto drum in this direction".....Out of the box, the cable is wound just the opposite.

Line speed in is noticeably faster than line speed out with the cable wound as it is.....does this sound right to you winch guru's?, or should the directional line speed be just the opposite? Maybe they placed the decal on backwards.

After I got it hooked up, it seems to work fine and I pulled the XJ across the yard to seat the cable nice and tight.

Click-free. Can't answer your question, but I'm interested on it's performance. The control box comes with unit? Because I didn't see it on the ad.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #25
xjinga
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B
Click-free. Can't answer your question, but I'm interested on it's performance. The control box comes with unit? Because I didn't see it on the ad.
Yep, it comes complete with control box and the roller fairlead. It seems pretty solid so far just goofing around the yard with it. When I'm buried up to the headlights, we'll see how well it does then.
xjinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #26
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjinga

Just be sure the winch cable is being wound to the bottom of the drum, not to the top.

Under it should spool in faster than it spools out because when it spools out it is working against the load holding brake. When spooling in, it is not working against the brake.

Bear in mind while you spool out, you will create a decent amount heat from the brake. When you need to spool out your cable, best to free spool it when ever possible.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #27
CHRRRIS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good! Now go get stuck!

Current - '98 Black Z28 with some goodies
Previous - '97 Gun Metal Blue TJ

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club
www.ExtremeJeepClub.com
CHRRRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #28
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj
Just be sure the winch cable is being wound to the bottom of the drum, not to the top.

Under it should spool in faster than it spools out because when it spools out it is working against the load holding brake. When spooling in, it is not working against the brake.

Bear in mind while you spool out, you will create a decent amount heat from the brake. When you need to spool out your cable, best to free spool it when ever possible.
Is it possible they have the internal brake set up so that the line spools over the top?

That arrow is very misleading if it's not set up that way.
Unread 07-25-2007, 09:56 PM   #29
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Big-n-Broke-YJ Just got his today, and he has already torn it apart to see how it works. Here's the thread in the YJ section.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/smittybilt-xrc8-winch-arrived-today-details-pictures-etc-442138/
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 06:35 AM   #30
ovrszd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Is it possible they have the internal brake set up so that the line spools over the top?

That arrow is very misleading if it's not set up that way.
Wouldn't it stress the mount bolts many times harder spooled over the top??? It would be trying to pry itself off the mount as it pulled, versus pulling itself into the mount when spooled under. I just always assumed that theory is why you can pull so much on four little bolts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.