NEW Smittybilt xrc8 Winch - Check it Out! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > NEW Smittybilt xrc8 Winch - Check it Out!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
IMYY4U
2008 JK Wrangler 

NEW Smittybilt xrc8 Winch - Check it Out!

So after getting my new 4wd magazine, I saw Smittybilt came out with a winch; The xrc8.

Here's a link to where you can check it out:
http://www.4wd.com/categories.aspx?cid=28

Here's some specifications about it:
-Only $300 (because it was just introduced to the market)
-8000lb winch
-4.1hp motor
-3 stage planetary gear system
-265:1 reduction ratio for fast line speed
-comes with 12ft handheld remote
-comes with 5/16" x 92 galvanized aircraft cable
-Mounting bolt pattern: 10" x 4.5", OAL Dim. 21" x 6.22" x 7.283"
-comes with a roller fairlead
-And I would assume it's Electric, but am not sure!?

If anyone has any comments or any extra info about this winch, please list away!

Question:

How would you compare this winch to the Warn M8000 or Mile Marker PE8000?

IMYY4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
psychoticj

does anybody have any experience with this brand im interested how they last and quality for the price. they seem pretty cheap to me.anyone?
psychoticj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Rivka
Returning From Sabbatical

2005 LJ Wrangler 

smittybilt has a well earned reputation for finding off brand, out of country, cheep options to useful things and selling them under their brand.
In almost every case they are proven to be just what you pay for, cheep.
I have not used it personally , but feel, bases on history, I can safely assume it does not stack up to a Warn Winch in anyway. If someone can prove other wise I welcome the correction.

"Teach a man how to take his doors off and he will enjoy his Jeep for a day,
teach him to search the forums and he will enjoy his Jeep for life!"
Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

It is pretty new so you are not going to find very much info on it. Trust me I have searched around. The above post is probably correct, is is just another Chinese made copy, and you probably do get what you pay for. Yes, it probably does not stack up to a Warn either.

That being said, give me some time and I am going to buy one. I guess someone has to be the guinea pig. I do believe in buying the best, but sometimes that is not an option for everyone. All of the "Buy Warn or go home" crowd might have something going, Warn's have a good, well earned rep. But again, not everyone has that kind of money.

I am of the opinion that it is better to have a crappy winch than none at all. Right now I don't have a winch and would be happier with this one than staying with nothing. If it works for a couple times then breaks, o well. I'm only out $300 and I guess I know for sure that it is crap instead of just listening to people that have never actually used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
Rivka

2005 LJ Wrangler 

it would probably be more aptly compared to the Tambor winches listed on that site as well. Tambor is the low cost sub company of Warn.

Unread 06-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Its permanent magnet type winch.You want a series wound type they run cooler.
Unread 06-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismo61
Its permanent magnet type winch.You want a series wound type they run cooler.
And last a hell of a lot longer.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
IMYY4U
2008 JK Wrangler 

You guys are all right. I may test this Winch out too as I am actually quite happy with the Smittybilt products I've come across. So this does take some thinking. I personally feel it won't be that bad of a winch - But we'll see!!

Here's a link though for anyone who is thinking about a winch or wants to know about winches in general. I just found this and I think it is absolutely helpful and very easy to read with moving diagrams.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/winch...Components.htm
IMYY4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #9
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMYY4U
You guys are all right. I may test this Winch out too as I am actually quite happy with the Smittybilt products I've come across. So this does take some thinking. I personally feel it won't be that bad of a winch - But we'll see!!

Here's a link though for anyone who is thinking about a winch or wants to know about winches in general. I just found this and I think it is absolutely helpful and very easy to read with moving diagrams.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/winch...Components.htm
nice link, bookmarked it.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
mtngoht
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyGimp
I am of the opinion that it is better to have a crappy winch than none at all. Right now I don't have a winch and would be happier with this one than staying with nothing. If it works for a couple times then breaks, o well. I'm only out $300.
Well.......what if it craps out when your rig is in serious trouble?

It would be perfect poser winch

Last edited by mtngoht; 06-06-2007 at 05:22 PM..
mtngoht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #11
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngoht
Well.......what if it craps out when your rig is in serious trouble?

It would be perfect poser winch
I guess you are right. It's just a poser winch. I should just sit back like everyone else and continually post and bash a product based what other people have said, without having first hand experience.

I have already said that it is probably not comparable to a Warn, apparently nothing is. But maybe for the person that needs a winch and does not have a lot of money laying around, this could be a good option. We will never know however, if no one actually tries it out.

Strange how someone offers to actually spend their hard earned money to buy and test a product, while at the same time offering to write a review that is of actual first hand experience, and they just get put down by someone who thinks they are being funny by posting a smart *** comment. You, sir, need to grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #12
Rivka

2005 LJ Wrangler 

right on the head KrazyGimp, i too think the winch is probably not very good, but that is based on a few things and none of that is worth calling people or things names. Many jeeps seem to have this fear or ever being caught supporting anything but the most popular brands and styles, pay them no heed.
Do we know for a fact that this winch will fail, No. Can we make some basic assumptions based on brand history, yes but they are just assumptions.
If someone really wants a winch and this is what they can afford and don't plan on heavy use i say go for it understanding that it is an untested product. Might be good not to trust your life or anything you cant live without on it. in the end just a choice, no need for name callin'

Unread 06-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #13
whatmud

Confucious says " a cheap winch is better than NO WINCH"
Unread 06-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #14
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Confucious right "Cheap winch not always bad winch".
Unread 06-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #15
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka
Many jeeps seem to have this fear or ever being caught supporting anything but the most popular brands and styles, pay them no heed.
yeah have that right...A superiority complex..while most may have the best,some dont even use them..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.