New Smittybilt SRC bumpers - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > New Smittybilt SRC bumpers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #61
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGetter01 View Post
I'm gonna try it again tomorrow
Any luck? The SRC tube bumper seems like it'd be perfect for this application. In fact, I think Smittybilt could really do themselves a favor by facilitating this from the factory. I'm really not a big fan of zip-tying the wire to the tube. It would look so much neater (and should be less susceptible to cuts or getting hung up on the trail) if it could be routed up through the tube...

Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #62
GroceryGetter01
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Any luck? The SRC tube bumper seems like it'd be perfect for this application. In fact, I think Smittybilt could really do themselves a favor by facilitating this from the factory. I'm really not a big fan of zip-tying the wire to the tube. It would look so much neater (and should be less susceptible to cuts or getting hung up on the trail) if it could be routed up through the tube...

I did try again for about a half hour and had no luck getting a guide wire back through the holes. I think I will have to settle for running the wires outside. I'm gonna tidy up my install tomorrow and I'll show ou what I did if you would like.
Yellow Jeep Club Member #802
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Load up all the recovery gear!!!!
We're goin' to the "MALL"

-Jason
GroceryGetter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2009, 01:22 AM   #63
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that would be appreciated. I think I'll end up giving the sinker and fishing line a shot before resorting to external zip-tying...
Unread 06-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #64
sdvivian
2004 TJ Wrangler 

my buddy managed to break off the grease fitting on top of the spindle when he swung open my tailgate when i was not around. It snapped the brass looking grease fitting right off the top of the post. i have read of other doing this but i am now wondering how to get the remaining piece out of the hole and also were i can find somthing to replace this grease fitting.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. This graduation present has turned into alot more work then it looked like it would be.....
sdvivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #65
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Easy out or screw remover. Maybe a small screwdriver.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #66
sdvivian
2004 TJ Wrangler 

any idea what store might sell a fitting that would replace the broekn one? i heard one guy mention installing a needle style one but he did not refer to where to got it from or what size it was.
sdvivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #67
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It's a standard Zerk, probably just any auto parts store.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #68
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just an update, here, but I gave up and just zip-tied it to the tube. ****ing ****tybilt.

Unread 10-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #69
Tooch
1994 YJ Wrangler 

is that bumper on there the same as this? SRC Front Grille Guard Bumper by Smittybilt
If so, how was install, and has it served you well?
Tooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #70
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, that's the one. It's never been tested in regards to impact, how easily it bends or tears off the frame, but for trail driving (lots of brush and such) it's worked well and has pushed aside (or pushed down) lots of small trees without showing much wear. The powdercoat looks good when new, but it's not the highest quality. It hasn't flaked off on me, but if you push against a tree with it, it flattens out the texture a little. Not the end of the world, just a cosmetic nit to pick.

I'm probably going to end up taking it off and building my own at some point. Now that I've got MetalCloak's arched tube fenders on, I don't really need the brush guard sweeping side extensions, and I'd like something that's more stout (runs back further onto the frame) and has an integrated winch plate. I've learned to weld since buying that bumper I'm really really really glad, though, that the rear bumper and tire carrier were backordered by Amazon (where I got the front from --free 2-day shipping for Prime members), because I rushed into it after buying the Jeep (I was excited and sold a car and therefore felt flush with cash). A buddy of mine turned out to have the same bumper, and it doesn't look as good as the front, the design is weak, and it doesn't exactly improve your approach and departure angles.

Last edited by Deacon; 10-05-2009 at 09:18 AM..
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #71
Tooch
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How was the install? i have a src rear rock crawl bumper with the d-ring and 2" reciever. Install was like a b**** but i mean its a jeep, nothings ever gonna be a perfect fit haha
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #72
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's not true. The front install wasn't bad at all. The frame coverage is even less than stock, so there's not much to screw up. Except their winch plate doesn't fit the bumper well. I mean, the plate itself fits fine, but trying to get a winch on there is a real pain in the ***, because the holes are positioned so that the bolts have to be on at an exact position so they run flush/flat against the lower cross tube or else it won't work. You can see kind of what I'm talking about in this picture. There's a reason I've started referring to the company as ****tybilt.

The rear install was for BESRK's rear bumper and carrier, and everything fit like a glove and went on smoothly.
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #73
Tooch
1994 YJ Wrangler 

LMAO ****tybilt. I mean the price is right, and the quality isnt bad. I have abused my bumper in the woods a bit and just the other day i was sandwhiched in a 4car pile up and that bumper help up well lol, not so much the other car lol. But i can understand where your coming from. But my front stock bumper, the flat 1/4 steel, bent a decent amount so if i get insurance money i wanna pick up that bumper ha
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #74
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That rear bumper you have looks much stouter than the tube rear SRC bumper, the one that matches the front I've got. I wouldn't trust the tube bumper to even hold up a little hitch-mounted cargo carrier. The one you've got may be better. I just don't like the company and how they do business.
Unread 10-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #75
Tooch
1994 YJ Wrangler 

lol yeah tube bumpers serve no purpose for me...if i put something on the jeep i wanna use it..not just look at it haha...im getting my insurance check this week for the accident i think. I wanna get that bumper pretty bad now

by tube i ment

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.