New Smittybilt SRC bumpers - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > New Smittybilt SRC bumpers

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 11-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #46
NewLJ

HEY IMYY4U. We must have posted at the exact same time! I see you are from Scottsdale. I'm in Surprise... Small world....

I agree and love the bumper(s) ...

NewLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #47
skipper7
2003 TJ Wrangler 

idk if anyone reads this anymore but here _ http://www.4wd.com/jeep/smittybilt/deals.aspx theres a deal for the front bumper AND a rear bumper for 360$ with shipping! anyone done this? im really intrested just wasnt sure if the rear come with a tire carrier.. the description is a little misleading i think? thanks in advance!
skipper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 03:05 AM   #48
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What exactly is the advantage, if any, of going with the replacement tire carrier over leaving the stock one in place? For reference, I'm on a stock '06 TJ "X" and am planning most likely to move to a mild lift and 33x12.5R15's.

Any help for a Jeep noob would be much appreciated!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #49
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
What exactly is the advantage, if any, of going with the replacement tire carrier over leaving the stock one in place? For reference, I'm on a stock '06 TJ "X" and am planning most likely to move to a mild lift and 33x12.5R15's.

Any help for a Jeep noob would be much appreciated!
The stock has trouble handling larger tires. A 33" is about the limit, you might be ok, you might bend the tailgate. 35's require a new tire carrier, I'd do it on 33's too to be safe.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #50
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My OE tire carrier eventually cracked under the weight of a 33x12.50 spare on an aluminum wheel. And that happened even after building the spare tire snubber height up so the 33" tire was firmly supported so it wouldn't wiggle.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #51
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info! It's much appreciated. Tire carrier it is, then.

You know, I have a question for anyone who actually owns these or has seen them mounted: how much does the front hoop/stinger stick out from the grill? My only problem is that I have fore-to-aft limited garage space due to poor garage interior door placement, and the short TJ means I have a couple of feet worth of walking space between the stock front bumper and the wall. I'd rather intrude on that space as little as possible, since I walk through there at least twice a day, often carrying stuff as I go, and I don't want to have to sideways shuffle shimmy past it every time. I haven't found any good pictures of exact side-on view to really compare. If anyone's willing to take a measurement from grill to the furthest point of the SRC tubular bumper (outside of hoop tube), I'd really appreciate it.

Talking to Ray at Smittybilt, he was estimating some stuff based on some of his personal notes in their catalog, and he says that the hoop tube sticks out 12 inches, and that the whole rig might be about 18" further out than stock, but to be honest I'm doubting that for some reason. Help!

I haven't found it too many places, but surprisingly (to me) Amazon has both the front and the rear-with-carrier and...get this...$3.99 overnight shipping or free two-day shipping with my Amazon Prime membership. How awesome is that? Very awesome.

I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger, depending on the measurements if anyone's willing to share them. The only problem is the rear bumper with carrier seems to be back-ordered, and Amazon customer service doesn't really have any good info on wtf is going on with that. Ray says they've got plenty in stock but don't drop-ship for Amazon, that Amazon actually does their own stocking and warehousing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
I thought the ad said it had a built in winch plate? Well it doesnt.
No, it doesn't come with it. Apparently it's Smittybilt part number 2801, and Amazon has it for $70.
Unread 04-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #52
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

OK, so I took some time this afternoon during a late lunch to drive home and take some measurements.

Here's what I'm talking about regarding how deep the SRC tubular bumper is, how far out it sticks from the grill. It turns out the stock grill to the furthest point is about 10.75"... Anyone know what it is on the SRC?

Also, here's the only real reason why it matters. When I'm parked with only a couple of inches of space left between the rear and the garage door (tight fit but not uncomfortably so) with the stock spare and carrier, I only have a little over 41" inches of walkway room. I'd rather impose on that as little as possible.

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

EDIT: GRRRRR...I can't figure out why they don't show up as pics, just links.

Last edited by Deacon; 04-30-2009 at 03:23 PM..
Unread 04-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #53
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You're lucky I had a tape measure handy . 18 3/4" from the grille to the end of the hoop, it's a long bumper. My least favorite part is the fact that I can't see it over my hood, but it's bearable. Also, I'd recommend the rock crawler bumper with d rings, it's cheaper and IMO better.
Unread 04-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #54
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome! You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Or at least a very helpful Jeep enthusiast...

I hear you on the bumper, but I really really like the SRC tubes. At least the way they look. And an extra 8" out I can live with. I just placed an order with Amazon for the front, the rear (with carrier), and the winch plate. My first major Jeep purchase! Rock on!
Unread 04-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #55
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Awesome! You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Or at least a very helpful Jeep enthusiast...

I hear you on the bumper, but I really really like the SRC tubes. At least the way they look. And an extra 8" out I can live with. I just placed an order with Amazon for the front, the rear (with carrier), and the winch plate. My first major Jeep purchase! Rock on!
They were my first mod too, it's a good easy start. I thought it looked a little wonky when the ride height was stock, but I love it with the lift on it. I'm stoked to throw a winch in there too.
Unread 05-01-2009, 12:34 AM   #56
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Now i juat need to put some lights on it. I may wait till I've got my list kit tires and wheels all sorted out so I can get it all done at once, especially if it makes it cheaper.

Do the light brackets on tue front allow for running the wiring inside the tube, or what? I've never seen any of this stuff work before. Getting the wiring and fuses and relays and switches all sorted out properly is one of my biggest con erns, but so is making sure it looks good and run well enough to be reliable and anxiety-free
Unread 05-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #57
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Now i juat need to put some lights on it. I may wait till I've got my list kit tires and wheels all sorted out so I can get it all done at once, especially if it makes it cheaper.

Do the light brackets on tue front allow for running the wiring inside the tube, or what? I've never seen any of this stuff work before. Getting the wiring and fuses and relays and switches all sorted out properly is one of my biggest con erns, but so is making sure it looks good and run well enough to be reliable and anxiety-free
There are a couple allen head plugs to allow you to run wires in the bumper, I haven't tried it, but it's doable.
Unread 06-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #58
GroceryGetter01
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the bump. I drilled out the plugs you are talking about but its almost damn near impossible to get the wires run through the bumper its self. Has anyone had any luck actually doing it?
Yellow Jeep Club Member #802
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Load up all the recovery gear!!!!
We're goin' to the "MALL"

-Jason
GroceryGetter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #59
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't, yet, but I haven't really given it 100% since I'm waiting to get a custom wiring loom in. I called Smittybilt about it, and Ray says it should be open all the way through, so I guess the real difficulty will be in figuring out a way to run a piece of stiff wire or whatever else through the bumper from the holes in the hoop to the ones at the bottom bar. Ray had to double-check with someone else and said those plugs are really just there for the powdercoating process, and he doesn't know of anyone who's actually done it before, but that theoretically it should be possible. I just have no idea how you'd go about it. Maybe drill it out to 3/8" or 1/2" and use these grommets once everything's run through? Would a larger hole necessarily make it easier?

I assume the bumper's steel will be attractive to magnets, so putting a button magnet on the end of a string and dropping it down probably won't accomplish anything. Maybe a sinker on some fishing line will allow it to drop down and through, at which point you can tie it to the wire you want to run and pull it back up through?
Unread 06-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #60
GroceryGetter01
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I haven't, yet, but I haven't really given it 100% since I'm waiting to get a custom wiring loom in.

I attempted it tonight. I took a piece of welding wire and ran it from the bottom hole to the top. I attached the wires and started to pull and they wouldnt fit all the way down to the bottom hole for some reason. I had to pull the welding wire back out and then tried for a damn near hour to get it back up to the top hole and had no luck whats so ever. It really almost seems like Smittybilt didnt allow much room in there to pull the wires through what so ever. I'm gonna try it again tomorrow and if I can't get it I have some wire loom and will run the wires neatly along the back side of the bumper. Maybe other people will have better luck then I did.
Yellow Jeep Club Member #802
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Load up all the recovery gear!!!!
We're goin' to the "MALL"

-Jason
GroceryGetter01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.