New Shoes - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
mhg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

New Shoes

So I got some new shoes for my 2000 XJ. While doing a ball joint and other misc front end items I saw my tire wear was worse than I thought. Time for new tires. There were a few tires I liked. My current tires were Pro-Comp Mud TA's or something like that. Noisy even when bald. Sitting on 15X10 Steel wheels. Pro comp 152's I think. 32X11.5. I wanted to go up to 33x12.5. The biggest ones NYS allows on the beach. Plus with my 4.5" lift its probably the limit without rubbing.

I liked the warrantee on the Pro Comp AT sport because of the warrantee and I do more street driving than off road. I like the BFG All Terrain KO2's, for the same reason. My off-roading is limited to the beach. But you cant get the Pro Comps locally. The BFG's and some other tires I like were available locally but the mounting balancing and tax plus the higher local cost really jacked up the price.

Most of the package deals were with wheels I did not like. Since I spend my off-roading at the beach, I wanted to avoid the steel wheels. My current ones are rusting from the salt. so pairing wheels I like with any one of the tires was putting me at around $1500. But I only really "needed" tires. To buy just the tires online was not bad. Local mounting and balancing put it at about $900-$950 but I needed to get the tires to the place to get them mounted.

4WD.com had some great packages. Found a package with the MT Baja's on Pro-Comp 7031's for $1219 shipped, mounted and balanced with new lugs. So for comparison I looked locally for the same tire. Mounted, balanced and tax came to about $1150. Seemed like a no brainer. for $70 more I got new wheels as well.

But these were 15X8. I like the look of the wider wheel. But some vast conspiracy makes 2" of wheel cost about $100 more per wheel on most of the wheels I liked. I bit the bullet and got the package. Came in about 5 days. couldn't wait to get them on.

So they look good, but drive very good on road compared to the pro comps. They have no vibrations from the tread size like the BFG Mud TA's I have on my work van. Those things vibrate the coffee right out of my cup just gliding across the parking lot. And forget it on the highway. that constant 4x4 burring noise like your driving on the highway rumble strips. In fact the MT Baja's are just as quiet s the factory tires on my 2013 Tahoe. No vibrations at speed to the balance is good.

That's the strange part. I noticed after I installed them there was no weights. No stickers on the back. Not possible. All 4 tires within specks with no weights. Drive perfectly smooth at 70 mph . Contacted 4WD. They have no way on confirming that they were actually balanced. You would think they would have the name of the tech who mounted them and for sure he would remember a single order for 4 tires and no weights needed.

4WD agreed to pay for the balancing if they actually required weights. But I still need to pay for the balancing even if they don't need weights. So I guess no vibrations, nothing to worry about...

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171007_091343.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
mhg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Oh I forgot. Need longer wheel studs on back/ Only .35" of thread grab, fronts are at .65"...
post #3 of 4 Old 10-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You may like the look of 10" wide wheels but those are too wide for your tire sizes you had and are contemplating. 15x8 is what you want and you do NOT want to match the wheel width even close to the tire width. Keep in mind 1) that a tire with an advertised width of say 12.5" like the 33x12.50's you're looking at only have around a 9" bead width where they mount to the wheel. The advertised 12.5" width is only at its widest point, half-way up the sidewall.

And 2) for offroading, a 10" wide wheel will make it harder for the tire to remain seated when aired down than with an 8" wide wheel. It takes more air pressure to keep the tire's beads safely seated against two edges 10" apart than when they are only 8" apart. Which is why offroaders most commonly run 8" wide wheels unless they're running a 13.5" or wider tire which is time for a 10" wide wheel. This is why the standard wheel for even my 35x12.50r15 tires is a 15x8.

If you take your XJ offroad and air your tires down to improve the traction, I definitely would not recommend a 10" wide wheel for 33x12.50 and that was an even worse choice for the previous 32x11.50 tires. Go 15x8. Really.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-12-2017, 08:03 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

While I agree with the 15x8 call, one would only believe the following: "It takes more air pressure to keep the tire's beads safely seated against two edges 10" apart than when they are only 8" apart." if the laws of physics did not apply. I've tried to teach it here but the myth persists to a degree that our best members are unteachable. But, trust me, 10 psi is 10psi no matter how much space is behind it.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.